Calling all mamas whose LOs STTN! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 04-10-2011, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm tired of commiserating with other mamas whose LOs don't sleep either! It's great to have the support but sometimes I think I'm looking for advice in the wrong place.

I want to hear from mamas who somehow, some way got their LOs to STTN. Even if they ALWAYS STTN or if they suddenly made the change without you doing anything, I want to hear from you!

If your LO STTN, what kind of naps do they take? Cat naps? Long naps?

Do they have an early bedtime, late bedtime?

Breastfed, bottle fed? Do you feed them at night or soothe them other ways? Do they use binkies or loveys or blankeys?

Are they co-sleepers or crib sleepers?

Do they sleep with a night light or music?

What's your LO eating?

How did your LO who STTN fare through the rough times (4 mos, 6 mos, 9 mos)?

Is your LO really active during the day? Really relaxed during the day?

Do you wear your LO a lot during the day?

What do YOU think helps them sleep so well? Is it just their temperament? Did they learn to sleep well over time?

Gimme all the dirt, I want it ALL! I'm on a quest to find the secret. lol.gif

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#2 of 36 Old 04-11-2011, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS is 2.5 years and has been STTN since 12 weeks. I think it was just him - I never did anything to insist he sleep,  he just did. I think he just has always been SO active and awake and alert during the day that he wears himself out and is ready for bed when it comes! He sleeps 7pm - 6:30 am (it was more like 6pm-630am as an infant). When he was a baby, He took two naps, like 10am-11:30am, and 2pm-3:30pm. Now he takes one nap about 11:30-1:30. He did start SSTN as we were switching to formula (which I regret) so that could have played a factor. We did use pacifiers (for sleep use only) until he was 2 years 5 months. Sometimes when he was having a rough time, we'd rub his back as he fell asleep (he loves this) or hold him tight, but that typically was less than 5 minutes. He was a cosleeper (bedside) until 6 months and then a crib sleeper, and now has a big boy bed. He actually did great during those rough stages.. his only sleep interruption problems came when I was very very pregnant with DD. 

DD is 10.5 weeks and I  guess it depends on  your definition of "through the night". I tend to think she STTN because she sleeps from 11pm-4am. She goes to bed at 7:30pm, gets up around 10:30pm to eat (and this is when DH & I go to bed), goes back to sleep for  that long stretch, gets up to eat, and  goes back to sleep from about  4:30am-7:30am.  I didn't do anything to put her on this "schedule" (it's not really a schedule, it's just kinda what she does, and some nights it varies). I think maybe my kids are just sleepers? Because DD is EBF and doesn't use pacifiers and cosleeps (bedside), but in my eyes, that's really not much waking! In fact I sometimes find myself wishing I had MORE time with her at night, but she just  likes to nurse n snooze! We don't do lights or music. She's kinda  opposite from DS, she's very chill during the day. She typically cat naps a lot, and takes one "good" nap from 11am-2pm. She has two very active, exciteable, playing, periods first thing in the morning and right before bed (on her own/stretched out). I wear her most of the day and we do a lot of interacting that way too, she's very vocal.  She is just starting to teethe, so we'll see if all this sleep sleep sleep lasts. 

One of the biggest things I have noticed with my kids is this: the better they sleep during the day, the better they sleep at night. If they skip a nap, or have one cut short, or wake  up to go potty, or whatever... that's a rougher night of sleep. If they get to bed too late (for DS this cutoff is like 7:30) , they do NOT sleep well. It seems backwards but it's like they need sleep, to sleep well. The other thing with all children is that they are different and they will mostly sleep how their body/brain needs and wants them to. So if you're trying to change their sleep habits, be gentle about it and follow their cues about whether it's right for them. 

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#3 of 36 Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 AM

DD is my 2nd. She has been STTN since about 6 weeks?? She consistently sleeps 8 hours straight (11pm-7am) and is now 12 weeks.  We didn't *do* anything but I have my suspicions as to why/how it happened.

1- I exclusively pump, so while she is EBF it's from a bottle, not the boob. Therefore she doesn't have to work as hard and probably takes in a bit more than she would at the breast. She now takes about 4oz per feeding and is fed on demand.

We noticed with my son that the few times he was given a bottle of pumped milk before bed he slept for a much longer stretch than from the boob.

2- co-sleeping. We don't do it because it just doesn't work for us. We all keep waking each other up. Plus it's no longer a safe co-sleeping environment (I take meds)

3- Being a 2nd child DD has to sleep "on the go" So during the day she sort of cat-naps where ever she is. Even on the days when we are home all day and she can sleep she just doesn't. I do however make every effort to get her one good solid nap in the afternoons.

We also swaddle and use pacifiers but we did that with DS and he didn't STTN.... well he still doesn't at 3.5. Oh and we do a "dreamfeed" at 11pm (We wake her up and feed her), if we don't do that then she wakes up at 2 am.  But we did the same thing with DS and he would eat at 11 and still wake up at 2. 

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#4 of 36 Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I know I've complained about Daniel's sleep, but technically he sleeps through the night and is generally a very good sleeper all things considered. We've been hit hard by the 4 and 9 month sleep regressions (they came for us closer to 3.5 and 8, but Daniel was also 16 days overdue), but "hard" has meant that instead of sleeping 12 hours, he'll wake up somewhere around 3-5 and want to eat. Lately he's had trouble going back to sleep well if we're in the room so we leave him in his crib to play and he lays his head down and goes to sleep.

Daniel sleeps in a crib and is formula fed. I don't know if the formula really helps as much as the fact that when he eats, he eats a full feeding and not a "snack." The crib really helps. Daniel has always slept in a crib, but he used to sleep in a crib in our room until 4 months, but he started to get too sensitive to our movements. When we found that we could not speak to each other in whispers or get clothes out of our drawers, we moved him to his own room. As it turns out, Daniel is very sensitive to noise. He needs to sleep with a white noise source (we used a CD for a while, now we use a humidifier, in summer we'll use a fan, so no need to get fancy) or else he wakes up easily. In fact, I think he's sensitive to stimuli in general because he also is not a baby who falls asleep easily in the stroller or being worn if we're out an about because there's too much to look at and hear. He was swaddled until he was 6 months, but now we sleep with a blanket. He also has a bunny that he uses as a lovey, we introduced it as something for him to do with his hands when we were weaning off the swaddle

I know that "sleep trainer" is a bad word in the AP vocabulary but we were really helped by "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Weissbluth. Yes, he has some strong information about CIO, but if you don't want to hear it, just keep moving on. His basic premise is that children need to sleep by their circadian rythms, which often means an early bedtime and (unfortunately) early wake up, with naps around 9am and 1pm every day. He says the secret to solving wake-ups at night is an earlier bedtime and I TOTALLY AGREE. The later Daniel goes to bed (past 7pm) the more likely it is that he'll wake up at night. He recommends looking at your child's drowsy signs as opposed to looking at the clock (which is a departure from other sleep trainers like Ferber) to decide when your child needs sleep. So this morning Daniel woke up at 6:30am but was rubbing his eyes and whining at around 8am, so he went to sleep by 8:20am, as opposed to 9am. This means that his whole day will probably run early, but that's okay.

Daniel is very active during the day. I don't wear him a lot because we're going through a resistance phase where he's not so into it.

Me learning.gif+ DH hug.gif + kid.gifDaniel (7/5/10)
#5 of 36 Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 AM
mra

My LO normally sleeps for about 5 hours, barely wakes up to nurse and then falls right back asleep until about 6:30 a.m. Last night she slept from 10:00 to 6:00 without waking to nurse.

She normally takes long naps in the morning and afternoon. Sometimes she'll also take a 1-2 hour nap in the evening.

We settle into bed around 9 or 10. If I'm really tired, we might go to bed around 8.

Breastfed, bottle fed? Do you feed them at night or soothe them other ways? Do they use binkies or loveys or blankeys?

EBF, she's never had a pacifier, we swaddled her when she was little if she was extremely fussy.

Co-sleeping

I leave the closet light on and shut the door most of the way so I can see her.

What's your LO eating?

She's only just over 3 months, so nothing other than breast milk.

Haven't gotten there yet! 

She has a few really active hours where she wants to bop up and down while looking in the mirror, walk around the house with me, play on her tummy mat. She isn't content to just hang out on my lap. The rest of the time she is pretty relaxed.

I do if she is getting tired and I wore her a lot during her first 2 months. Now she gets squirmy if she is worn in the house unless she is sleepy.

What do YOU think helps them sleep so well? Is it just their temperament? Did they learn to sleep well over time?

No idea. I didn't do anything, she has always been a good sleeper. We've had maybe 3 or 4 nights where she was just bothered by something and cried (in our arms while we were comforting her) for about a half hour before settling down.

I've noticed a slow progression. During her first two months I had to nurse her to sleep and if I tried to set her down, she would wake. If I nursed her lying down and tried to sneak away she would wake. That's why she spent a lot of time in the wrap or in my lap napping. At night I'd nurse her to sleep and she would either sleep on top of me or in my arm, kind of on her side so the boob was always accessible. I couldn't put her on the bed next to me and move away from her a bit so I would be more comfortable. She'd wake up. 

Then she got to where she would nap in the morning in her swing if I put her in it before she got to tired. At night, she still had to be nursed to sleep, but I could put my boob away and she was fine if she was right up against me. If I inched away, she'd squirm over and snuggle into me.

Now we still nurse right before bed, but I can put my boob away and lay her down next to me while she is still awake. I can give us about a foot of room between us and she will go to sleep. It feels good to be able to move again! She'll start to squirm when she wants to nurse, I'll pop her on the boob, lay her back down when she's done and she goes right back to sleep.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#6 of 36 Old 04-11-2011, 09:12 AM

I have 3 kids, a teen, a 2 yr old, and a 7 month old. 

With the teen...getting her to sleep was the problem, but keeping her asleep rarely was.  It could take as many as four plus hours to get her down.  But once she was there, she regularly slept as many as 12 hours.  Her bed time was always late, mostly because it always took so long to get her to go down for a nap, that she was waking from a nap late and then it would take a million years to get her down for the night.  She was totally formula fed from day one.  If she woke up I fed her, but I don't recall her waking much once she went down, after probably 3 or 4 months.  She always had a pacifier (do-dah in our house) and she didn't eliminate that until she was like 3.5.  She slept in a crib in my room. 

My 2 yr old began to STTN on her own at 4wks old.  And getting her to sleep wasn't ever the issue that it was with the older one.  She was ebf until she was about 8 wks old, then when AF returned at 8wks, she refused to nurse, so she had to get some bottles.  Then she developed a bottle preference and I couldn't pump enough to keep up.  Basically we ended up with a perfect storm of breastfeeding sabotoge that resulted in her being totally formula fed by 6 months.  But, when she began STTN at 4 wks, she was totally EBF.  At that time, she started sleeping 6wk stretches, then slowly increased, until by 3 months she was sleeping 12 hours.  She would, and still doesn, STTN about 80% of the time.  Sometimes she wakes because she's hungry, or has fallen out of bed (in a twin bed now) or sometimes it's just because.  She didn't sleep well at all during the day, until she was about 6 months old.  She just was awful at naps, I would get her down, set her down, and she would pop back up. 

My 7 month old STTN about 50% to 60% of the time.  She's BF, she occasionally gets a bottle of formula when I am at work, if there's not enough pumped milk left and DH is overfeeding her (or if he's being lazy.)  But, I only work 2 or 3 days a week, and it's only one bottle on those days, so it's not a lot of formula at all.  No solids yet.  She's still in a cradle in our room.  DD2 was in a cradle in our room until she was about 4 or 5 months old, then moved to a crib in her own room. 

#7 of 36 Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 AM

My DD is only 5 months, so I might not be much help, because I don't have much experience, but I can answer the questions. She started STTN starting at 6 weeks and then did it consistently starting at 8 weeks. She sleeps 7:30pm - 6:30 or 7:00am consistently.

She is very scheduled, by nature. We tried to go with the flow but she doesn't do well with that. She always takes 3 naps per day at the same time everyday 8:30am, 12pm, and 3:30pm, usually at least an hour long, sometimes 1.5 hours long. We don't make her take naps at those time, she just naturally acts sleepy at those time, it turns out. If for some reason a nap gets cut short, she is pretty cranky. She sleeps on us for the naps. She sleeps better in total darkness, so we put a small washcloth over her eyes for naps. We keep the tv or radio on for naps because she sleeps better with noise. If it's quiet, she will wake up faster. 

She goes down about 7:30pm. Up until about a week ago, we would put her to sleep on us, swaddled on the boppy pillow and we'd help her fall asleep by patting her butt. Now we are able to put her down while she's drowsy but not asleep and she will fall right asleep on her own. She is still swaddled. We tried to have her unswaddled yesterday for a nap, but she woke up after 30 minutes (and then that set the crankiness for the day). 

She gets only breastmilk, but in bottles. I EP, so no drinking straight from the tap. I do think this contributes some to her sleeping all night. Like a PP said, she doesn't "snack". She drinks full 4 oz bottles each time. We feed half on demand and half on a schedule. If she shows signs of hunger we will feed her even if it's not on schedule, but we usually do a semi-schedule because we've learned that she will NOT not eat if it's there. She will eat and eat and eat and just puke and puke and puke. She always gets a bottle right before bed, even if she ate about an hour earlier we will feed her another small-ish bottle right before bed to keep her fuller longer. I'd rather her wake up because she wants to play or is done sleeping, rather than pure hunger. She does use a pacifier. The only time she fusses at all at night is when her pacifier falls out of her mouth and she's trying to find it in her sleep. As soon as we put it back in, she's back to fully asleep. 

We co-slept until she was about 6 weeks old. She would get overheated and didn't sleep well at all. As soon as we moved her out of our bed, she started STTN. She sleeps in a pack 'n play. We don't have a regular crib because we planned to co-sleep full time. 

No night light (she likes it pitch dark), but we use a sound machine that is set to "rain". It stays on all night. 

What's your LO eating?

No solids yet, just bm.  

She had a bit of a rough time at 4 months. She would wake up at 3 or 4am and be AWAKE! So we'd give her another bottle and lay her back down and she'd go back to sleep. Two nights she woke up twice for a bottle. Growth spurt, I guess. One night she was up at 4am and a bottle didn't work. She just wanted to play, so I stayed up with her until 5:30am and she played on her own on the floor while I layed on the couch, watching. Then she started rubbing her eyes, so I put her back to bed. We'll see what happens around 6 months. 

She's relaxed. We don't go outside every day. She rarely gets over stimulated. She will do tummy time and play with some toys and use a jumper thing for a few minutes. But she would rather just sit on a lap or the floor, or her changing table and play with her hands or feet or pacifier. 

Not a lot during the day. All the time when we go outside or run errands, but that's usually on the weekends. She is very content (actually likes it more) to sit in a bouncy seat in the kitchen and watch while we work or cook or in the living room while we clean. She's very easy and content and doesn't really like to be held all the time.

I think it's just her temperament. And I fully believe (learned it here!) that sleep begets sleep. She still sleeps a lot during the day and I think that helps her sleep better at night. Also feeding her right before naps or bedtime. I also whisper to her for about 5 minutes at bedtime. Either a story, or just talk to her about what nice dreams I hope she has and that I hope she sleeps well and all night. The whispering really calms her down and makes her drowsy, quick. Not that that helps her STTN, but it puts her into sleep mode fast.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#8 of 36 Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 AM

I haven't read through everything, but with this kind of survey, why don't you use the poll option? It would be interesting to see the responses at a glance.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#9 of 36 Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 PM

Depends on the day. But generally when we don't have much going on she will take 2 long(2 to 2.5 hour naps) naps a day and 1 catnap(20 minutes) 

I don't know if its early or late. But around 8-830

She is now bottlefed. She dont' wake up in general to eat at night anymore. She does have a pacifier and a blanket. 

She is a crib sleeper. Co-sleeping just wasn't working for us. Even now if we fall asleep on the couch cuddling she will wake up within 30 minutes. 

She has a nightlight. We learned very early on that if its total darkness she will freak out. 

What's your LO eating?

She has about 24-30 oz of formula a day with 6-8 ounces of solids. I don't really keep good track as I just feed her when she shows signs of hunger. 

4 months was so hard on us all, but we had a lot going on in all areas so it was expected. 6 months she seemed to do better. 

She is very active during the day. She only stops enough to eat and thats about it. She wants to be moving at all times.  

I don't wear her as she has never liked it. 

I really think its just her. Even as a newborn she was a good sleeper at night. She never fully would wake up to eat. I feel I have been very fortunate because then on the nights where they are rough and she isn't sleeping its like OMG I really feel for those who deal with this all the time.  But also she is very routine and if her schedule is messed up we do pay for it later. Naps on the go just don't do it for her. She needs at least one good nap in her crib or away from all noise and people otherwise its a rough night.

#10 of 36 Old 04-11-2011, 07:24 PM

If your LO STTN, what kind of naps do they take? Cat naps? Long naps? He usually naps for 3-4 hours from 9-12/1, then about 1 - 2 hours from 2:30-3:30, then about an hour from 6/7 to 8 ish

Do they have an early bedtime, late bedtime? He goes to bed at about 9

Breastfed, bottle fed? Do you feed them at night or soothe them other ways? Do they use binkies or loveys or blankeys? He is breasfed when I am here.  He takes bottles during the day when he is with the babysitter.  He will take a pacifier but it usually falls out when he sleeps.

Are they co-sleepers or crib sleepers? Co-sleeper

Do they sleep with a night light or music? No

What's your LO eating? EBF - he's only 5 months old

How did your LO who STTN fare through the rough times (4 mos, 6 mos, 9 mos)? So far so good, he started this pattern at about 6 weeks

Is your LO really active during the day? Really relaxed during the day?  When he is awake he likes to lie on the floor and kick and roll around.  He also really likes to "talk" and interact.  He is "chilled" though.

Do you wear your LO a lot during the day?  When I am out and about.  On weekdays the babysitter usually wears him for about an hour walk and I wear him to go pick up his sister so it's another hour or so.  On the weekend, he is usually worn for 3-5 hours as I do errands.

What do YOU think helps them sleep so well? Is it just their temperament? Did they learn to sleep well over time?  It's his temperament.  His sister was the same.

#11 of 36 Old 04-11-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View PostIf your LO STTN, what kind of naps do they take? Cat naps? Long naps?

Long naps.  She's six months old and she takes a nap at 9am, a nap at about 1pm and sometimes a third nap, though that one is slowly dropping out.  Her naps are usually between one and two hours long. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View PostDo they have an early bedtime, late bedtime?

Early!  6pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View PostBreastfed, bottle fed? Do you feed them at night or soothe them other ways? Do they use binkies or loveys or blankeys? 

She is breastfed.  She still eats once or twice a night some nights. She has a blanket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View PostAre they co-sleepers or crib sleepers?

Her Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper bassinet is now in the stand-alone crib formation.  She transitioned from sidecar to stand alone when she started rolling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by expat-mama View PostDo they sleep with a night light or music?

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View PostWhat's your LO eating?

Breastmilk and we just started solids three weeks ago.

Originally Posted by expat-mama View PostHow did your LO who STTN fare through the rough times (4 mos, 6 mos, 9 mos)?

4 months was rough, but she's 6 months + 3 weeks now, and we've sailed through that no problem. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View PostIs your LO really active during the day? Really relaxed during the day?

She's not physically active, but she is quite alert and excited during the day.  I wouldn't call her "relaxed."

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View PostDo you wear your LO a lot during the day?

It depends on the day and what I'm up to.  I used to wear her a lot, and I still do when I'm out of the house, but when at home she prefers her playpen most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View PostWhat do YOU think helps them sleep so well? Is it just their temperament? Did they learn to sleep well over time?

She had to learn to sleep well.  It took a lot of effort on my part starting from 2 months and it was about 5 months when she finally got a good sleep schedule snapped into place. 

Mama to Eris, born 9/21/2010! energy.gifbellyhair.gif@earthshod on Twitter.
#12 of 36 Old 04-11-2011, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post

I haven't read through everything, but with this kind of survey, why don't you use the poll option? It would be interesting to see the responses at a glance.

HA! Good idea. My brain doesn't work...I'm SLEEP DEPRIVED, Terri! bouncy.gif On second thought, I don't think a poll would have provided the details I'm looking for though.

Reading, reading, reading! Thanks mamas.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#13 of 36 Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 PM

Wow, how discouraging.  It looks like almost all the STTN'ers are bottle fed.  I would be so happy if my child woke up just 1 or 2 times a night. 

#14 of 36 Old 04-11-2011, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizznicole View Post

Wow, how discouraging.  It looks like almost all the STTN'ers are bottle fed.  I would be so happy if my child woke up just 1 or 2 times a night. 

Yeah, Nicole....I noticed this too. SIGH.

#15 of 36 Old 04-11-2011, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Expat, I don't necessarily think that's true. Or at least, I don't necessarily think breastfeeding is inconsistant with STTN. I think breastfed babies seem to not naturally make the transition to a more "scheduled" day of feeding and so they don't make the transition to a more scheduled day of sleeping, in the way that bottlefed infants do. For example, I would never just give my baby a bottle everytime he cried, but many breastfed babies get a breast when they're fussy, meaning they're taking in bits and snacks instead of large meals. Maybe they don't get acclimated to taking in a large amount of milk at a time, and therefore don't sleep as long because when they reach the lowest part of their sleep cycle (when they're most likely to wake) they still feel hungry, wheras a bottle fed baby doesn't tend to feel hungry because they take in more milk at a time. There seem to be a few patterns that breastfed babies tend to fall into that can sabotage sleep: snacking on milk instead of taking in larger feedings and eating less solids because they're full on milk. I know that Daniel's sleep wasn't so awesome when he wasn't eating a lot of solids. 

Another pattern I'm seeing is that most of the posters seem to have their baby on a sleeping schedule of some kind. It's really hard work getting your baby down for naps at the right time, especially at this age when they're SO busy that they fight sleep so that they can just pull up on that chair one more time. I find I spend a lot of time in the rocking chair these days, but once Daniel is asleep, he can sleep for hours. I also noticed that most of the posters with babies who STTN have babies in cribs. In fact, I don't know that I've ever heard of a baby who slept 12 hours at one time and coslept in the same bed with their parents. Cosleepers say that this is more natural as the infant doesn't sleep so soundly that they're vulnerable to dangers (i.e. SIDS, predators, etc) and they gain weight better because they don't sleep through feedings, causing a stronger breastfeeding relationship. All this may be true, but it also seems to make bad sleepers worse sleepers. Good sleepers may be unaffected, because that might be their particular temperment.

Monarchgrrl likes this.

Me learning.gif+ DH hug.gif + kid.gifDaniel (7/5/10)
#16 of 36 Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 PM

My kiddo started reliably sttn at 14 months.  she just turned 2.

she takes one early afternoon nap (best if it starts sometime between 12 and 2... no later!) and lasts anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours (best if it is only an hour)  she set her nap schedule.  I've done nothing but go with it.

her bedtime is 8pm (was 7pm when she started sttn) and she wakes up between 7 and 8am.. usually closer to 7am.  Again, she set her bedtime.  I do nothing but follow her cues and do her bedtime routine accordingly.

Breastfed, bottle fed?

breastfed.

Do you feed them at night or soothe them other ways?

She only allows me to soothe her to sleep with nursing.  She won't put herself to sleep except in the car.  she will fall asleep with cuddles only with my grandma.  this has been true since she stopped using the soothie at 6 months (which sucked for me haha)

Do they use binkies or loveys or blankeys?

She has a blankie my friend made for her when she was 2 or 3 months old.

crib (well, now toddler bed as of last week.)  co sleeping never worked for us.

nightlight but only out of necessity for me.  as a new mom/nurser, I needed the light to see what we were doing and to make sure we aimed for a good latch right.  She used to have a sound machine as a baby, but its been ages, well before she started sttn.

What's your LO eating?

when she started at 14 months, she was eating most anything but still some purees once in awhile (she liked them) and mostly breast milk.

yeah, those times sucked arse.  especially 4 and 6 months.  hours of walking in baby carriers and singing and shhing and sound machines and tip toeing.. oy.  she was NOT a good sleeper as an infant but she is absolutely fantastic now.

it varies.  her activity doesn't seem to correlate with sleeping through the night.

No... she didn't like it as an older infant.

I don't know what finally got her to start sleeping through the night but I thought it would never happen.  she really was an awful sleeper.  it was like a switch though.. she just started one night and rarely wakes up now unless we are visiting somewhere (she hates sleeping anywhere but her bed in her room.)  I will say though that she is VERY VERY particular about her sleep.  For the longest time, I had to make sure she couldn't be able to see out of her crib because then she'd want to get up.  She also has to read stories and THEN nurse.  you can not mix up the order for bedtime.  She also will nurse for how long she wants and trying to stop her early is a huge mess filled with crying and wanting to nurse for even longer.  If you don't try to stop her though, she's pretty quick.  She is VERY protective of the routine for sleep.  She has to have her blankie of course.  Like I said, I'm not sure what changed but now she'll ask me to go to bed if I'm running late to start the bedtime routine.  Some nights she runs to her room yelling 'yay.'  I do wish though I could stop nursing her to sleep or nursing her in the middle of the night the rare nights she does wake up.  I'd love to be able to just put her to sleep with cuddles!  It is pretty obvious though she isn't ready to change how sleep happens.  She is just so particular!  Seriously, no sleep the first night in a new place and she won't sttn the entire time you are there after that (and I just spent two months at home over the holidays.)

#17 of 36 Old 04-12-2011, 10:57 AM

Even when DD was breastfed once she left our bed/room she only got up once or twice to eat and slowly went to once to none a night before we made the switch to the bottle 100%. I had planned to keep nursing at night but my supply went and she wasn't interested in me anymore (pregnant) 

#18 of 36 Old 04-12-2011, 10:58 AM

Cecilia generally sleeps through the night now, at least for 7-8 hours. She's one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View Post

I'm tired of commiserating with other mamas whose LOs don't sleep either! It's great to have the support but sometimes I think I'm looking for advice in the wrong place.

I want to hear from mamas who somehow, some way got their LOs to STTN. Even if they ALWAYS STTN or if they suddenly made the change without you doing anything, I want to hear from you!

If your LO STTN, what kind of naps do they take? Cat naps? Long naps? At this point, generally one long nap. If she gets up super early, she'll take two shorter naps

Do they have an early bedtime, late bedtime? Late-ish, like 9 pm usually.

Breastfed, bottle fed? Do you feed them at night or soothe them other ways? Do they use binkies or loveys or blankeys? Breastfed with SNS, sometimes she needs one night feed, other times she doesn't at all. I am fine either way. I try to be relaxed about most things like this. smile.gifNo binkie, lovey or blankey. Her Woombie swaddle is the closest thing, I think.

Are they co-sleepers or crib sleepers? We're bedsharing co-sleepers.

Do they sleep with a night light or music? No, but we use the Cloud B sleep sheep when we first put her down. It does sound for 45 minutes. We use the rain one the most.

What's your LO eating? Not bloody much! ROTFLMAO.gif

How did your LO who STTN fare through the rough times (4 mos, 6 mos, 9 mos)? STTN is a relatively new thing for us, but from about 7 months onwards she did fine with one nighttime nursing.

Is your LO really active during the day? Really relaxed during the day? Definitely active!

Do you wear your LO a lot during the day? Not anymore, she wants to be all over the place!

I definitely think she just grew into it. I think it helps that I never pushed her before she was ready and I never really stressed over it. I also think her super-stretchy swaddle helps in the sense that it's her sleep cue. She can get her arms out of it and it has legs already, so she's not immobilized by it.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#19 of 36 Old 04-12-2011, 10:59 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

My kids don't but each of my sister's kids slept in a co-sleeper until they STTN at around 8-9-10 months. ALL FOUR. Humph.

#20 of 36 Old 04-12-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRain View Post

Expat, I don't necessarily think that's true. Or at least, I don't necessarily think breastfeeding is inconsistant with STTN. I think breastfed babies seem to not naturally make the transition to a more "scheduled" day of feeding and so they don't make the transition to a more scheduled day of sleeping, in the way that bottlefed infants do. For example, I would never just give my baby a bottle everytime he cried, but many breastfed babies get a breast when they're fussy, meaning they're taking in bits and snacks instead of large meals. Maybe they don't get acclimated to taking in a large amount of milk at a time, and therefore don't sleep as long because when they reach the lowest part of their sleep cycle (when they're most likely to wake) they still feel hungry, wheras a bottle fed baby doesn't tend to feel hungry because they take in more milk at a time. There seem to be a few patterns that breastfed babies tend to fall into that can sabotage sleep: snacking on milk instead of taking in larger feedings and eating less solids because they're full on milk. I know that Daniel's sleep wasn't so awesome when he wasn't eating a lot of solids. 

Another pattern I'm seeing is that most of the posters seem to have their baby on a sleeping schedule of some kind. It's really hard work getting your baby down for naps at the right time, especially at this age when they're SO busy that they fight sleep so that they can just pull up on that chair one more time. I find I spend a lot of time in the rocking chair these days, but once Daniel is asleep, he can sleep for hours. I also noticed that most of the posters with babies who STTN have babies in cribs. In fact, I don't know that I've ever heard of a baby who slept 12 hours at one time and coslept in the same bed with their parents. Cosleepers say that this is more natural as the infant doesn't sleep so soundly that they're vulnerable to dangers (i.e. SIDS, predators, etc) and they gain weight better because they don't sleep through feedings, causing a stronger breastfeeding relationship. All this may be true, but it also seems to make bad sleepers worse sleepers. Good sleepers may be unaffected, because that might be their particular temperment.

I don't really see it as true either. DS was STTN before the bottle-switch (a whole ugly story in itself). DD has never had a drop of anything that isn't breastmilk, and she only wakes once during the night (though we do a dreamfeed around 10:30pm when DH & I come to bed). Though she doesn't sleep IN the bed, she co-sleeps in a bedside sleeper. Some nights she skips her one feeding and sleeps 11-7. Also I don't really see DD's schedule as a schedule, it's just a pattern I've noticed & I don't have a clock so I typically ask DH in the morning what time she ate. I never avoid or defer nursing nor make her sleep. I think it is just her temperment to sleep for long periods of time. Also she is an "all business" nurser at night (her dreamfeed and her one waking) - she really gulps and usually goes a full 15 minutes which TOTALLY drains me, and I think helps keep her asleep. During the day she isn't like that at all. She likes to nurse, play, nurse, potty, nurse, catnap, nurse, play, etc. I guess my summary point is that some kids just LIKE to sleep, and some kids just like to see their mama as often as possible!!!!! That's a positive way to see it right? :) You sleep-deprived mamas are my heroes.. I don't think I could do this job without some rest! 

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#21 of 36 Old 04-12-2011, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I haven't read the other responses, and I don't have the time to answer all the questions, but here goes:

Max has STTN pretty much from day 1!!! We have coslept from the beginning too, and yes he has and does still sometimes nurse at night, but I do not really consider that "getting up", as we are both only half-awake. Most nights I couldn't even tell you if or how many times he nursed at night. He's 10 months now and I think there are nights where he doesn't nurse at all, but I really am not sure as I don't wake up fully if he just takes a few sips, kwim?

He is not a great napper, however! He has only ever napped for 30 minutes at a time. In the last few weeks, he'll go down for an hour about 2-3 times / week for his morning nap, but that is new. He has usually 2 or maybe 3, 30 min naps per day. He goes down for the night around 8:30-9:00. He'll often sleep for an hour and then stir and I have to go in and get him back down. Sometimes that lasts until I join him (around 10-10:30), sometimes he will keep waking up every 20-30 mins and I then have to rush to get ready for bed cause I know he basically won't really fall back asleep until I'm in there with him.

Our bedtime routine is jammies, story, and lie down in the dark room with the white noise and a music box, then I may sing to him. He usually falls asleep within 5 mins, but some days it takes up to 20 mins if he's really revved up. He usually gets up in the morning anywhere from 6:30-8am, usually around 7:30. There have been a few short (luckily) phases where he was getting up at 5:00am. That was rough!

Of course there have been phases, usually not lasting more than a week, where he'll be up a lot at night. Just last week we had a run of about four nights where he was getting up 4-5x per night all fussy. Luckily, on these nights I may have to sit up and rock him, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually had to get up out of bed and walk him around in the other room to get him back to sleep. Usually I just have to nurse him back down.

I wear Max a lot during the day, and he eats pretty much what we eat (we do BLW). He is a high needs baby and can be very intense and demanding. Some days he's super clingy and fussy, some days not. He is a very active little guy, that's for sure!

I am convinced, however, that he would not have been a STTNer had he been in his own sleep space. As I said, we have shared a bed every night of his life. I feel intuitively that this gives him the security to let go into a good sleep.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#22 of 36 Old 04-12-2011, 01:47 PM

I haven't read all the replies, but I thought I'd answer b/c 1.5 months ago I never, ever thought I'd be able to join such a thread!  DD was an absolutely miserable sleeper the 1st 6 months of her life.  She refused to sleep anywhere but on me or DH (starting day 1 in the hospital), never slept more than 2 hours (up anywhere from every 45min-2 hours), barely napped, and basically had me at the end of my rope.  I actually did join the sleep boot camp thread, but was too depressed about how horribly DD was sleeping and how much I was hating life b/c I was tired to ever post.

Now, DD (who is 7.5 months old) sleeps anywhere from 6-8.5 hours at night, with anywhere from 1 to 4ish brief wakings (literally, a squawk or two) that DH handles by rocking her briefly (she sleeps in her car seat, however, so rocking her means just rocking the car seat).

(I'm actually kind of terrified to post about this, for fear I'm going to jinx myself...redface.gif)

So, how did we get here?  I'll answer the questions you posted earlier and see if that helps explain how we got to where we are now.

Both.  She's still an inconsistent and generally crappy napper.  On a great day she'll nap 45min-1hour in the AM, 1-2 hours in the afternoon, and 30-45 min in the early evening.  A great day like this happens maybe every few weeks.  Some days she takes one really long early afternoon nap.  I work part-time on a crazy, inconsistent schedule, though, so that probably contributes to her all-over-the-place naps.

My guess is that her bedtime would probably be considered late.  We get the process started with her dinner, at 6:45, then either walk the dog or walk down to meet DH at the train (or both at the same time).  Then, when we get back, DH does the rest of the bedtime process: she has her bath (just water--we only do soap once a week, when we both bath her in her tub), baby massage, and a story or two while DH puts on her diaper, her onesie, and her Woombie.  Then he wraps her in a blanket (if it's not too warm) and brings her out to me in the living room, where I nurse her in the chair until she falls asleep.  Then DH takes her and transfers her to the car seat and turns on the white noise.  Then we tip toe around for the rest of the night.

Breastfed.  I tried to do the Pantley pull-off to get DD away from falling asleep at the breast, but I failed.  Now she nurses until she falls asleep, sometimes still nurses while asleep, then drops off herself.

She does have a pacifier (one of those Wubanubs), and DH will use that to soothe her if she wakes up in the transfer process between my lap and the car seat, but he takes it out of her mouth after she's back asleep.  We found that she woke up more if she had the pacifier in her mouth.

Part-time co-sleepers; when DD wakes up between 3:30 (on a bad night) and 5 (on a great night), she comes into bed with me for the next 1+ to nurse and sleep.

The rest of the time she sleeps in her car seat.  She refuses to sleep in the attached co-sleeper or the pack n' play.  We only have a 1 bedroom apartment, so no space for a full crib.

We found that co-sleeping all night just didn't work for us; DD is a very light sleeper, so any movement I made woke her up and she immediately reattached to the boob (if she wasn't already attached).  I noticed she didn't sleep as well when she nursed the whole time she was asleep; even now, she'll sometimes nap on me and nurse, and she's usually not as well-rested afterward.

We had night lights until they all broke...but we'll get more soon.

She also sleeps with white noise--it's a loop of my hairdryer I recorded and put on my iPod.

What's your LO eating?

We just started solids about 1.5 months ago, so not too many different things yet.  We decided to do purees rather than BLW, and she loves it.

It might be coincidence, but she started STTN about 3 days after we made 2 changes: we moved her into the car seat and we started her on solids.  For dinner she gets 1/2 an avocado and about 2oz of sweet potatoes mixed in.  I'm convinced that the combo of fats and carbs has helped her immensely.  So much so that she pretty much gets the same dinner every  night, b/c I'm terrified to mess up what works!

She wasn't STTN at 4 months, so no regression there.

At 6 months was when she started STTN.  We had a spell of about a week or so around 6.5 months where she woke up between 2:30 - 3:30 and wouldn't nurse back to sleep, so I held her and rocked her for a while, then nursed her in the chair, where she and I fell asleep for a few hours.  Then she went back to her usual sleep routine.

We haven't hit the 9 month mark yet, so we'll see how that goes!

She's quite active (or as much as a non-crawler, non-walker can be!)  She goes to daycare for half days 4 days a week, where they do lots of activities, and she's always needs to be engaged in things during the day.  She's also a high-needs baby, so I think that helps explain her intensity and need for activity.

I'd have to say yes, although a lot of that is just carrying her.  Since day 1 she's been a super-clingy, high-needs baby, so I've carried her and/or worn her a lot (and have the elbow pain to show for it, unfortunately...)

Patience and pure dumb luck.  It's definitely not her temperament--she's an intense, high-needs baby who doesn't tend to sleep very deeply.  She also has reflux, which I think has really worked against her sleeping (and I think is why she generally doesn't like to sleep on her back, unless she's next to me in bed.  I also think it's why when she was next to me in bed, she nursed constantly--I think it helped soothe any acid pain she was feeling.). 

I think three things helped her:

1. Her avocado and sweet potato dinner.  It filled her up, helped her reflux, and had lots of good fats to keep her feeling content.  (I know some folks say solids=better sleep is an old wives' tale, and it may be, but it worked for my girl!)

2. The car seat.  Not only do I think the angle helps her reflux, but I think she feels really cozy and snuggled in.  She's a snuggler and a cuddler, so she needs that contact around her.  There was a post not long ago about creating a "nest" for baby in the crib, and I remember hoping someone had good suggestions for creating a safe one, b/c that's what DD needs.

3. DH. He is in charge of her night-time sleep (and, at first, naps that didn't involve DD sleeping on me).  He puts her in the car seat, and he sleeps with her out in the living room, on the couch, so he can be the one to rock/shush her to back to sleep when she squawks at night.  This, I think, was key in the beginning of our sleep adventures, when Mama = milk.  Now I can put her down for a nap (also in her car seat), and can rock/shush her back to sleep as well.

Sorry for the novel; I'm just so amazed that I'm getting any sort of sleep at night now, and am happy to share what we've done if any of it will help you.

(Now off to cross my fingers, toes, and any other body part that I didn't just completely jinx our little sleep set-up!)

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#23 of 36 Old 04-12-2011, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:

If your LO STTN, what kind of naps do they take? Cat naps? Long naps? Cat naps, around 30 minutes

Do they have an early bedtime, late bedtime? Between 7 and 9

Breastfed, bottle fed? Do you feed them at night or soothe them other ways? Do they use binkies or loveys or blankeys? Breastfed on demand, she soothes herself with a binky and wont nurse to sleep.

Are they co-sleepers or crib sleepers? Crib sleeper

Do they sleep with a night light or music? Nature sounds toy that shuts off after 5 minutes but she has to listen to it about 3 times and a toy that shines stars on her ceiling that shuts off after 30 minutes.

What's your LO eating? bf only

How did your LO who STTN fare through the rough times (4 mos, 6 mos, 9 mos)? Babe is only 10 weeks

Is your LO really active during the day? Really relaxed during the day? ACTIVE!!

Do you wear your LO a lot during the day? Never

My Lo is almost 10 weeks and has STTN (6 hours, nurse, and then another 3 hours) since she was about 4ish weeks. I can't take credit for any of it. She takes 30 minute cat naps during the day, maybe 4 in a day. They are totally on her own schedule. Her pattern is eat, play, nap, play, eat, nap, etc. She's pretty active. When she is awake her arms and legs are always going even though she is mostly laying on her blanket on the floor or sitting in her bouncy seat. I never wear her, I tried but she didn't like it that well. She is BF only, eats on demand.

Her bedtime is sometime between 7 and 9. She is one of those babies that sleeps anywhere so like I said I really can't take any credit for it, I think its just her.

Twice her and I fell asleep and took an afternoon nap for 3 hours and both those nights she was up every 2-3 hours to eat instead of sleeping through the night.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#24 of 36 Old 04-12-2011, 09:05 PM

My 3 month old has been sleeping from about 8:30 pm until about 4 am and I consider myself blessed. I don’t know if you consider this sttn or not... He's very active and alert when awake. He's Breastfed. I just nurse him when he gets sleepy and once he falls asleep I put him in the bassinet beside our bed (belly down). He doesn't sleep well at all on his back. He startles himself awake after a couple minutes if I put him on his.back.
#25 of 36 Old 04-12-2011, 09:30 PM

My baby is 1...so I guess she's not so much a baby anymore.

I can't remember much about DS (what can I say I worked FT!)....but both my DD's STTN since 4-6 months.   I co-slept with all, till about 5-6 mos when I moved them to the crib.  With ODD she was with us till about 9 mos.  I had a small 2 br townhouse and they shared a room.  I kept her with as long as possible b/c I didn't want to disturb DS.  Who is (still not) the best sleeper.   Once they started rolling I put them in the bassinet and then the pack and play.  

but to answer your questions.....

ydd (she is 1), wakes with the others about 7 am, she naps 2 hours after she gets up.   For about an 1-1 1/2 hrs.  She then naps at 2 or 3 for another 1 1/2-2 hours.  If she misses her am nap, you can count on a good 3 hr nap.

I think it's kinda early.  Both DD's go to bed about 730, after books, songs and kisses they are asleep by 8 ish. 

I BF all 3 DC's.   If they cried at night I would let them fuss a few mins, not CIO, but you can tell the difference betweeen a fuss and a cry!!  If they were crying, I'd check the diaper...then soothe.  Last resort...my bed for nursing.  Only ODD took a binkie and that was only till about 9 mos.  Both girls do have loveys.  And at 3 ODD will not go to sleep with out her "la la" (a musical glow worm)

Co sleepers till about 4-5 mos. 

night light and we have recently put a radio in the girls room (ages 3 and 1).  IMO it cuts out the other noises. 

What's your LO eating?

I started all 3 on rice about 4 mos.   When I had DS, they didn't say anything about the 6 mo for solids thing.   I gave them rice at dinner.   Then about 5-6 mos homemade baby food.  I think that keeps them fuller so they STTN.  YDD eats what we now.  And has since about 9 mos.  I don't puree...I just cut it up small and make sure its soft enough. 

Sometimes with DH and me.  Sometimes we slept on the couch...sometimes we didn't sleep at all, but it's all a stage, thankfully!!

I think they were pretty active.  They have always had free reign of the house.   Exploring and playing (IMO) burns up that energy. 

I wore DS a lot, not so much ODD, but YDD I wear often.   ODD is not a cuddler, but the other 2 are.  I don't wear them while I'm cooking...etc.   But if we are out walking or outside.  

IMO I think a good sleeper is a rested kid.  You know the whole over tired over stimulated thing.   I read a book where you "train" the kid to sleep.  not my CIO, but by putting them down at the same time every day.   I did this w/2 kids and had great success.   Both of my good sleeper girls will start to go upstairs when they are tired.  Or when it's time for bed.  I think temperment has some to do with it...but DS and YDD have the same easy going temperment.   But DS ALWAYS had someone next to him while sleeping.   From Birth til he was about 3 when I finally got him out of our bed!!!   At almost 7 he still comes in our bed about 2x a month.   He still requests cuddles from me before sleeping.   And he still gets up in the middle of the night to pee or he wanders!.  and he still wakes up at the crack of dawn!!

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#26 of 36 Old 04-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Banned

So... In case I missed it, is anyone SSTN and BFing AND co-sleeping?
#27 of 36 Old 04-12-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfcmama View Post

So... In case I missed it, is anyone SSTN and BFing AND co-sleeping?

Yup. smile.gif

Now, our breastfeeding is with an SNS, but at the breast is the only way she gets milk.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#28 of 36 Old 04-12-2011, 09:55 PM

Both of my children slept through the night, were exclusively breastfed, and co-slept in our room, but not in our bed. Is that helpful?

In my children's cases, the key steps were to have an early morning nap, sleep swaddled, sleep in the dark with blackout curtains drawn, and an early bedtime. If we messed with any of that, they could not get to sleep and were miserable.

I will second the recommendation for Marc Weisbluth's Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. He is a sleep researcher and a pediatrician, so he writes a lot about how sleep develops, what normal patterns of sleep are at each age, and how children can get off track. He does have some advice about sleep training (mainly for older toddlers/children who are experiencing ADHD-like symptoms from sleep deprivation) but there is so much good information in the book that has nothing to do with crying it out.

#29 of 36 Old 04-13-2011, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all these responses! I really appreciate all the time you mamas took to respond. It's really interesting to see the different answers to all my questions.

I'm not sure my quest will be too fruitful... It might just come down to you mamas with LOs who STTN being LUCKY. And us poor saps being incredibly unlucky.

As far as I can tell, I'm doing everything "right" and we've tried pretty much all the other "right" things over the months to no avail. The only thing I haven't tried are the things that we have deemed "not right" for our son and for us- CIO, bottle feeding, putting him in another room, and breast feeding on a schedule etc. Wouldn't it be freaking crazy if THOSE things worked for him? They seem to work for some other people (I'm not referring to you mamas). I'm questioning all sorts of things right now...just at the end of my rope I guess. Another bad night last night and I'm unravelled today.

Anyway...thanks again mamas!

#30 of 36 Old 04-13-2011, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:

Thanks for all these responses! I really appreciate all the time you mamas took to respond. It's really interesting to see the different answers to all my questions.

I'm not sure my quest will be too fruitful... It might just come down to you mamas with LOs who STTN being LUCKY. And us poor saps being incredibly unlucky.

As far as I can tell, I'm doing everything "right" and we've tried pretty much all the other "right" things over the months to no avail. The only thing I haven't tried are the things that we have deemed "not right" for our son and for us- CIO, bottle feeding, putting him in another room, and breast feeding on a schedule etc. Wouldn't it be freaking crazy if THOSE things worked for him? They seem to work for some other people (I'm not referring to you mamas). I'm questioning all sorts of things right now...just at the end of my rope I guess. Another bad night last night and I'm unravelled today.

Anyway...thanks again mamas!

To the first part of your post (in bold): I forgot to mention, I know we got lucky with Max being a great night sleeper. However, we got "unlucky" in other areas. Firstly, he had colic and screamed inconsolably a LOT in the first 3.5 months of his life. The fact that he then STTN was what saved us. We were all miserable, but at least we were pretty well-rested! And now, he is a high needs baby, very intense and demanding. I see friends with easy-going, mellow babies and sometimes I get jealous. However, I then listen to them complaining about how they got not sleep last night and I remember: you win some, you lose some (if that metaphor fits). Lucky in one area, unlucky in another.

As for your situation, I see your LO will be one in a couple months. Ya know, from one year of age, night weaning is an option. Many people are against it, but to be honest if my baby was a terrible sleeper, I would certainly be considering it (after one year). Here are a couple links you might find useful:

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-night.html

I know some parents find their baby is able to STTN once they've night weaned. It is not a fun process (and if you read those links you'll see it will probably involve some crying, but you stay with the baby, it is not CIO!), but if you are exhausted and feel everyone would do better with a good night's sleep, then maybe you can consider night weaning in a few months after your baby turns one.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page