When did your baby start squealing? Should I be concerned that my 4 month old is not doing this yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is 4 months old as of today. We had her four month check up this afternoon and her pediatrician seemed very surprised that she is not squealing and making high pitched yells or noises yet. She said that if she doesn't soon that we might need to think about speech therapy! I think it sounds a bit ridiculous to put a four month old in speech therapy and am trying to just reassure myself that every child develops differently, but I guess her little 'worry' now has me a bit worried too. Should I be concerned about my daughters lack of squealing or is this something that normally isn't ALWAYS happening by 4 months?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 05:38 PM

I don't remember exactly when DS started but I'm almost positive it was more like 5 or 6 months.  Four months seems pretty early!

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

Old 04-19-2011, 10:07 AM

My son started squealing at around 3 months. Maybe that's really early, I don't know, but he's pretty advanced for his age, both physically (always been in the 90th percentile) and developmentally.

I jokingly call him Benjamin Button.

Our Tiger Cub arrived 12/29/10
Old 04-19-2011, 10:25 AM

Speech therapy? WTH? That is pretty ridiculous, IMO.

My son is a few days younger than your kiddo, and he just started squealing with intent a few days ago. I'm sure your DD will be screeching and squealing in no time!

*not that speech therapy in general is a crazy idea. I know lots of kids benefit from it. But 4-month old babies have a lot going on. If squealing isn't on your DD's to-do list yet, just let your ears enjoy the next few days/weeks of mellow sounds.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:58 AM

Does your baby have any other issues?

Speech therapy sounds pretty ridiculous to me, but then I'm not a doctor. Our ped didn't even ask us about sounds our son was making?

I can't really remember, but I don't think he was squealing until 5 months.

I've never heard of this being an important milestone.

first-time mama to a babyf.gif born 9/2010
Old 04-19-2011, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I am pretty sure DS didn't squeal until closer to 5 months, but I forget.

And to consider speech therapy for such a young baby seems absurd to me too. I would get a second opinion if your primary pediatrician mentions it again.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Old 04-19-2011, 02:11 PM

Um speech therapy? Speech therapy is POSSIBLY necessary for a 2 year old who can't say 50 words. A 4 month old who doesn't squeal? Not so much. Sounds like something our pedi would say. ROTFLMAO.gif

Anyway, babies are just different! My DS didn't squeal at all until  5 1/2 months. My DD has been squealing since 7 weeks! She actually startled me when she started... it's just so early, makes me feel like she's growing up too fast. I think more important indicators would be -  does your 4 month old use her voice? Does she cry or whine well if she needs something? Can she coo or goo or make a vowel sound or laugh? If she's using her voice, she's on target. She'll start squealing soon. BTW, some babies are more amused by the squeal than others!

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

Old 04-19-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I think our ped was making a big deal out of nothing. Alauna is cooing, giggling, laughing and making all of the age appropriate grunts and noises(other than that ever important squeal!) so I'm sure there is nothing to be concerned about. I will enjoy this semi silence while I have it. smile.gif

Thanks for making me feel better about it! I greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:05 PM

Yes, enjoy the silence.  My 4.5 mo blew out my eardrum at dinner tonight while I was holding him.  AAAAAhhhhhh.....

User Tag List