Help! 12 w.o. naps only when held - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-24-2011, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
During the week I have a sitter, so this is not a huge deal, but on the WE's I'm essentially alone w DD. She will fall asleep but nap for only one sleep cycle (for her, half an hour) unless she is being held in someone's arms. She used to nap longer in the moby wrap, but now even that no longer works. I frequently have to nurse her back to sleep between sleep cycles even when she's in arms. She even wakes up after one sleep cycle if she's being worn or is in the swing with a pacifier. Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel like all I do is sit in a darkened room with my baby and the sleep sheep all weekend long. My sitter is great at soothing her during the week between sleep cycles using just the pacifier. I tried the boppy trick, but DD figured it out. I'm so perplexed bc she sleeps great at night. We co- sleep and she gives me three to sometimes six (!) hour stretches btw nursing sessions and it's not an issue at all in terms of her waking up. She barely wakes to nurse. Anyway, please let me know what you all think!
#2 of 8 Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 AM

DS went through a phase where he would only nap in arms too.  I think he was older than your L.O. but I can't remember for sure.  I got some good books from the library and used a boppy so I could hold him, drink a coffee and read in the dimmed room.  I also ended up napping while sitting in the chair a fair bit myself!  It was frustrating, but it did pass after maybe a month.  Sorry, I think that you're probably looking for a tip or trick to help DD sleep.  Other than the carrier which you said isn't working I don't have any!  My tips and tricks are for your sanity (napping and reading).  Just wanted you to know it will pass.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#3 of 8 Old 04-25-2011, 09:48 AM

Do you have one of those vibrating bouncer things? DS has always liked to be held a lot but he will fall asleep in that provided he's well fed eat.gif

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#4 of 8 Old 04-25-2011, 10:54 AM

This probably isn't what you were hoping to hear, but this is exactly how DD was when she was little. I held her all of the time for naps because she would give me long naps that way. If I laid her in her bassinet, then I would get short naps, so I would hold her to get more of a break.

Now, she sleeps 1-2 hours in her crib, when I would maybe get 45 minutes. I really didn't do much different, except she just got older. Really, I think as far as sleeping goes, sometimes it just takes time. Not what you wanted to hear, but it was true for me.

Honestly, holding her for her naps is really some of my best memories of those early days. Now my baby is older and so I can't get away with holding her all of the time. She sleeps a lot lighter and so she naps much better if I put her down for her naps in her crib. So, no more cuddle naps for us, which is actually pretty sad. She is crawling now, so she would much rather be crawling around then cuddling with mom. Soak this time up! It is so short. I agree with the other poster, get a snack, pop in a movie, and enjoy the time that you have with your little one while she is this small.

Sorry I don't have any tips or tricks either. All I did was wait it out and it got better. I spent a lot of energy trying to get DD to sleep on her own, in her bassinet and in the end, I just gave in, cuddled with her for every nap and in the end, really cherished those times.

Mama femalesling.GIF of a sweet little daughter diaper.gif , born 7/10/2010. Married to my dream boat of a hubby partners.gif, 8/20/2009.

#5 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 09:55 AM

Amen! Cherish those sweet cuddles! Time flies and before you know it your lo won't want to be held joy.gif
#6 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 AM

Have you tried swaddling? That was our answer to get DD to nap out of arms. I think we accomplished it around 4 months. Up until then she always slept in someone's arms for naps.

M :, wife to P :, Proud new mama to N
#7 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

I will try the swaddling and the bouncer...

I really appreciate the encouragement and support- thank you! It is nice to hear that others have confronted similar napping quirks. I thought I was doing something wrong. And today was much better- it really helps to get the three hours to myself when the sitter is here. She's a dream with the baby- i'm so fortunate in that regard! I will definitely take your advice and luxuriate in the cuddle sessions, although it's hard to imagine a baby this snuggly could ever resist being held. That *will* make me sad!
#8 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 06:34 PM

Yes, swaddling! That was the one thing that really helped. we used the velcro swaddle blankets and they rocked. Oh, and maybe a white noise machine? We have one for our baby and it keeps all the noises at bay. Nothing more frustrating that putting you baby to sleep only to have her woken up by a random noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post

Have you tried swaddling? That was our answer to get DD to nap out of arms. I think we accomplished it around 4 months. Up until then she always slept in someone's arms for naps.

Mama femalesling.GIF of a sweet little daughter diaper.gif , born 7/10/2010. Married to my dream boat of a hubby partners.gif, 8/20/2009.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page