Mothering Forum banner

Almost-Year-Old Doesn't Like Solids ...

361 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Sweetflyfishfeel 
#1 ·
I feel confident that to a large degree, this is not a problem, but I'm still looking for interesting suggestions to help him continue to transition. I'd especially like us to have a little freedom from nursing (I nurse on demand, have never had success pumping ... when I'm around he nurses at least a little almost every hour, unless we're out ... when I'm gone for hours he'll eat a little other food).

In fact, since we have food sensitivities (dad has allergies, confirmed with blood tests, to: chicken egg, cow whey and casein, peanuts, and almonds ... LO reacts if I eat eggs and milk) ... I'm feeling that his hesitance to eat solids helps with the sensitivities.

Anyway. He refuses most food. He likes avocado, but lately only when we put chunks in his mouth by hand. He loved a turkey/avocado/garlic mash the first time, but has refused it ever since. Lately he won't let a spoon get anywhere near his mouth, and if we do the BLW style thing ... put it in front of him ... he throws it on the floor.

He most likes these organic puffs we found at Target, which I don't love because they have sugar, but at least it's something for his tummy while at daycare.

We're following an allergy-prone food introduction schedule, which postpones most allergenic foods until he is one. I don't know if the improved upcoming variety will peak his interest.

Anyway ... at the end of the day, at least 95% of his calories come from me.

See less See more
#2 ·
My LO wasn't interested in eating other foods, though she would taste them, until I started taking her out to places that would keep her distracted. Then she'd be starving when we'd get home, and would eat whatever I gave her. That helped get her used to consuming more than a little bit.

Another thing that helps is if I sit nearby but totally ignore her while she eats in her highchair. Then she stays focused better and seems to have more interest.

The other night I cooked some chicken in cream of mushroom soup in the crock pot, and she devoured it like crazy. She was even picking the bits off her clothes and eating them, she loved it so much. I never mash up her food. I just put small pieces on her tray and only one or two at a time. Too many seems to overwhelm her and then she won't touch it.

She also, like mama, doesn't like to mix her flavors. Each food gets to be tasted separately. She also tends to eat more if I'm eating (and still mostly ignoring her) while she's eating. She won't try anything unless I eat it first (unless it's a dry bread-like food).

She's almost 11mos and still getting most of her calories from me, but I love that at least we're making progress and I get a little time to check my emails and MDC.

Also, I've started buying cereals in the organic section. Some are nice shapes for them to grasp, and they don't have sugar or BHT/EDTA in them or in the packaging. DD likes the crunchy types. A lot of them use cane juice instead of white sugar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.