Does your baby wear sunglasses? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 05-05-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sunglasses? Waste of money or useful. The sun has arrived and our lo is spending more time outside ...I'm looking at the wraparound ones at REI.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

DD: 8/10

#2 of 19 Old 05-05-2011, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I knew he wouldn't tolerate it, but just for fun I tried to put a pair on DS a few weeks ago. Of course he wouldn't even let me! He also won't let us put a sun hat on him. He keeps taking it off. I am now considering sewing on a tie so he can't take it off anymore.

I think a sun hat is just more practical~ plus it protects not just the eyes but the head, neck and ears. Maybe I'm jaded from my baby, but it seems like most babies wouldn't want to wear glasses and would either rip them off or get all fussy over it.

So I say rather don't buy them. I'd bet at REI they're expensive too, so just one more reason not to.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#3 of 19 Old 05-05-2011, 02:31 PM

DD loves hers. They are the cheapo $4 ones with the strap around the head. She HATES sun in her eyes and will wear the sunglasses as long as we're outside. She loves looking at herself with them on in a mirror too. She's 6 months old.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#4 of 19 Old 05-05-2011, 02:34 PM

No. I tried a couple of times, but she's just not into it.

We had the frubi wrap around ones.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#5 of 19 Old 05-05-2011, 06:24 PM

Well, DS doesn't love them but will wear them if I can distract him for long enough to forget I've put them on him!  He rips of hats too, but will just have to learn as I want to protect him from the sun.  My mom has damage to her eyes from not wearing sunglasses when she was young (lots of time spent on and near the water though) and I want to protect DS's eyes from future damage.  We have both the "Baby Banz" which wrap around and my mom bought him a pair of regular over the ear ones.  He's annoyed equally by both!  

FWIW - I actually saw 2 pairs of baby banz sunglasses at Value Village today.  If anyone is worried about expense you may be able to find them used.  The two pairs were $4 each 

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#6 of 19 Old 05-14-2011, 09:42 PM

I try to get my kiddos used to them as soon as possible.  My older DS won't go outside without them because he is so sensitivre to light, and my newest DS is learning to get used to them.  I think they are important for the health of their eyes- as most damage is done in childhood.

#7 of 19 Old 05-15-2011, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Argh, this is a daily battle for us. It is soo sunny here all year round with no respite. DS tears off his hats and sunglasses. I once thought- well how long will he continue to just pull off his hat if I just keep putting it back on? The answer: FOREVER. I must have put the hat on his head 50 times and 50 times he ripped it off and threw it down. There have been a few times that he's kept it on for a while if thoroughly distracted. I find if he can't SEE the hat well when he looks up, it doesn't bother him so much. But then, the kind of hat he can't see doesn't really shade his face much.

Ugh, don't even get me started on the sunglasses. I have to keep trying though. We live in the freaking desert and are at the beach/pool several times a week. At least he likes it when I put sunscreen on him.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#8 of 19 Old 05-15-2011, 09:07 AM
MJB

My 10 mo. old wears regular over-the-ear sunglasses. They were $3 at the Children's Place. She loves them, but is a total ham and loves to dress up-- she wore bunny ears all day on Easter, for instance. 

#9 of 19 Old 05-15-2011, 04:06 PM

She will, no choice.  And a hat as well.  I don't consider these things choices - we are very fair and burn easily and I won't risk damage to her skin and eyes.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#10 of 19 Old 05-15-2011, 05:40 PM

My baby wears them.  He's taken them off once, but for the most part just leaves them alone.  He's 4 months.  He has a big head though, lol, so I had toget him toddler  sized ones so that they wouldn't leave marks on his head.

#11 of 19 Old 05-15-2011, 05:44 PM

my dd loved them when she was 6mo, now that she's 10mo the novelty has worn off and she pulls them off sometimes. though she hates sun in her face so sometimes she'll keep them on. they are just the over the ear kind. i think a head strap would make her mad.

betsy:  wife to tony, mama to haven (7/6/10), arlo (m/c 1/21/12), and expecting valencia in late december.

"we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams" - arthur o'shaunessy

"if there is no dancing then it is not my revolution" - emma goldman

#12 of 19 Old 05-15-2011, 09:20 PM

DD has worn sunglasses over the ears since 2 months or so. She'd pull them off but once the sun hits her eyes she'll let me put them back on her. The wrap around type seem to push too hard on her face and leave marks but she leaves those on as well. She doesn't really like hats though. I'll keep trying because I don't want her little bald head to get a burn!

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#13 of 19 Old 05-15-2011, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

We have Baby Banz. J will wear them indirect sun but pulls them off in the shade. Glasses and hats aren't really optional for us either, we live in an area with one of the highest skin cancer rates in the world.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#14 of 19 Old 05-17-2011, 05:25 AM

I have regular baby sunglasses I bought at babies r us. I only bought them for the photo op (they match DD1s and my own) but she keeps them on pretty well. 

She also keeps on her sunhat that is a requirement when she's outside (she's extremely pale) 

And yesterday I put one of her sisters play wigs on her just to be a silly mom and she even kept THAT on.

I have an odd baby. I don't know many others who would keep that stuff on. But she just doesn't seem to care. She is perfectly capable of taking them off when she's finally ready to, but it takes her a while to want to.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#15 of 19 Old 05-20-2011, 04:16 PM

I bought Baby Banz sunglasses & hat for DS. I put the glasses on in the house when I first got them and he kept them on. I haven't tried them outside yet. He isn't outside for long periods of time (yet). I hope he will use them.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#16 of 19 Old 05-21-2011, 11:52 AM

They are very cute!

100_3357.JPG

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#17 of 19 Old 06-06-2011, 06:32 PM

My daughter loved hers and they really kept the fussiness down on super bright days.  We have the Vuarnet Kids sunglasses.  But a friend told me that we get a lot of our Vitamin D intake through our eyes, so she said it's not good to always wear sunglasses.  I have NO idea if this is true or not! 

#18 of 19 Old 06-07-2011, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View Post

Argh, this is a daily battle for us. It is soo sunny here all year round with no respite. DS tears off his hats and sunglasses. I once thought- well how long will he continue to just pull off his hat if I just keep putting it back on? The answer: FOREVER. I must have put the hat on his head 50 times and 50 times he ripped it off and threw it down. There have been a few times that he's kept it on for a while if thoroughly distracted. I find if he can't SEE the hat well when he looks up, it doesn't bother him so much. But then, the kind of hat he can't see doesn't really shade his face much.

Ugh, don't even get me started on the sunglasses. I have to keep trying though. We live in the freaking desert and are at the beach/pool several times a week. At least he likes it when I put sunscreen on him.

This is us too, in the US southwest.  I tried 2 different types of sun hats so far.  They were pretty deep and not easily pulled off (he didn't figure out to pull up instead of down) and he nearly had an apoplexy trying to get it off!  We are very pale too, so if anyone has more tips on this topic...

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#19 of 19 Old 06-07-2011, 05:34 PM

Yes, sun hat and baby bandz

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page