Introducing solids and constipation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2011, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DS is just about 8 months old and we have been introducing solids over the last couple of weeks.  He really hasn't been into it until now so I have just been following his lead and not really stressing about it.  He barely eats anything at all - no more than a teaspoon in a day but somehow has become awfully constipated.  It has been 5 days so far and I can tell he is really uncomfortable (he normally goes every other day).  He is exclusively BF otherwise and I have been giving him some pureed pears the last two days in hopes that this would help things along...but still nothing and his gas smells absolutely awful!  Poor little guy.  Any advice?  At what point should I take him to the doctor?  How long is it safe to let him go without pooping??

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mine did this and I realized he needed more fluids. I give water now with food, and even between food, and his poops are regular again. We nurse on demand too - and before each meal of solids. More milk didn't work - he needed more water.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:52 PM

My DD, now 16 months, has struggled with constipation since introducing solids at around 7 months as well (she was also ebf until then). We avoided foods like bananas, apples and anything else that is constipating. We were doing blw but gave her pureed prunes or pears to keep her regular. The longest DD went without going was 4 days I think. Hopefully it is just a 'getting used to real food' phase for your little one.

ETA: oh, and try a belly massage and hot bath! That really helps gets things moving! There are different techniques specifically for bowels/gas...try googling it. If all else fails, you could back off solids for awhile if he is still nursing lots and then try again.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
Old 05-13-2011, 01:51 PM

I second the offering of water - I even offered diluted juice (pear/prune juice). And offer solids that are high in fibre - and avoid all the 'binding' foods

We still struggle a bit now though - green beans seem to help.

And i've recently started giving him some flaxseed oil (for his eczema, but it helps in the bowel department too)

Poor mite, hope something we suggested helps!

Mama to Luka - 22 February 2005, Tiisetso - 18 September 2010 & 3 angel bubbles
Old 05-13-2011, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I tried the warm baths...which made him pass alot of wind so I guess it did help a bit.  But in the end I decided to just stop all solids for a few days - at least until he actually went.  Finally after 3 days of just breastfeeding he went!!  Poor little guy.  Today we are going to try some more solids and are sticking to the more fibrous things...pears on are on the menu tonight so we'll see how it goes!

Old 05-14-2011, 02:46 PM

Good to hear he finally went :)

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
Old 05-14-2011, 09:12 PM

water with meals and we found that prunes (either juice or pureed) were the trick. Pears didn't quite work. 

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
Old 05-17-2011, 08:02 AM

my dd was very constipated for about the first month of solids, but her body adjusted to the new digestion it needed to do and things got back to normal. water is really important. it takes water to propperly digest solids. also, in my experience the best food to get things moving is a few mandarin orange slices - the canned ones. they are less acidic than some citrus, they are fun to squish and easy to chew, and they are the baby digestive equivalent of liquid plumber.

betsy:  wife to tony, mama to haven (7/6/10), arlo (m/c 1/21/12), and expecting valencia in late december.

"we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams" - arthur o'shaunessy

"if there is no dancing then it is not my revolution" - emma goldman

Old 05-17-2011, 08:40 AM

I totally agree with the mandarin oranges suggestion, but WHOA, be careful! That's like swinging a loaded gun around and it can go SO wrong, so fast! ;)

We noticed with DD that bananas are terrible for her. If she even LOOKS at a banana she can't poop all day! 

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
Old 05-17-2011, 05:15 PM

DId either of you mandarin orange users have problems with diaper rashes? I've shied away from any citrus because I heard it can cause some gross diaper rashes. What's worked for us was offering lots of water with meals, mashed pears (and other fruits, just no banana!), and broccoli and carrots - my DS especially loves carrots and they seem to really keep things moving! When he was really stopped up once, we gave some diluted apple juice, but we don't plan to make a habit of that. 

me + DH + DS (10/2010)
Never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way. - MLK

Old 05-17-2011, 08:19 PM

Both my girls would get this way.  I swore by prunes for ODD.  YDD didn't like them.  So for her I would mix it w/oatmeal or yogurt.  Or peaches, she LOVES peaches!!!  

YDD can't have any oranges or even OJ and I have to limit her blackberries b/c she gets a horrid rash!!!!

My son.....half a banana and he wouldn't poop for days.  He's still like this, but he can eat a whole banana now with no issues.  lol

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
Old 05-18-2011, 06:13 PM

I was reading this thread yesterday because I was having the same problem with dd and needed to get some ideas.  Then I remembered a sure-fire way to get her to poop - (1) wash a load of diapers (so that they are all now clean); (2) wash a load of her clothes (so that they are all now clean); (3) put on one of her cutest outfits (preferably one that is light colored and hard to wash).  Within a couple of hours, you are almost guaranteed to have a a full diaper (that stinks and needs to be washed ASAP) and leakage all over that outfit (and no other clothes to throw it in the washer with).   winky.gif  Tried it today, it worked great (although I didn't put on her cutest outfit - just a white one.)

Catholic wife to S and mama to my two loveys V dd1 10/04 and G dd2 11/10 - #3 due in August 2013.  Here we go again.  homebirth.jpgwinner.jpg selectivevax.gifcd.gif

Old 05-18-2011, 09:08 PM

This advice should be in every pediatrician's office. ;) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_verde View Post

I was reading this thread yesterday because I was having the same problem with dd and needed to get some ideas.  Then I remembered a sure-fire way to get her to poop - (1) wash a load of diapers (so that they are all now clean); (2) wash a load of her clothes (so that they are all now clean); (3) put on one of her cutest outfits (preferably one that is light colored and hard to wash).  Within a couple of hours, you are almost guaranteed to have a a full diaper (that stinks and needs to be washed ASAP) and leakage all over that outfit (and no other clothes to throw it in the washer with).   winky.gif  Tried it today, it worked great (although I didn't put on her cutest outfit - just a white one.)

me + DH + DS (10/2010)
Never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way. - MLK

Old 05-19-2011, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

ROTFLMAO.gif  Cute!  Couldn't agree more!

User Tag List