My one month old has indigestion? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our one month old daughter sleeps and eats very well but from 2:00am to 7:00am she is constantly grunting, burping, spiting up and farting. The fussing finally ends around 7 when she manages to poop. Although she spits up a fair amount during the day, she sleeps VERY well during the day and does not grunt the way she does during the wee hours of the morning.

She sleeps in bed with my husband, 3 yo daughter and myself. This makes for a very disruptive night of "sleep". I am constantly having to get up to burp her and it seems like she spits up a lot. But it is hard for me to judge. I am used to just being able to nurse laying down while I sleep. My first child never fussed with gas and rarely spit up so I never had to burp her after feedings during the night. We both just slept through the night.

Does anyone have any suggestions for improving her digestion or our bed-sharing arrangement? WE NEED TO SLEEP!

I have tried propping her up on a pillow which sometimes helps. I am a vegetarian. I have eliminated dairy and cabbage-related vegetables which has not had any impact. I take a probiotic capsule daily and drink kombucha.

Thank you! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2011, 07:59 PM

Does the probiotic have dairy in it?  Have you tried eliminating soy as well?  That's what I did with DD, and it made a huge difference even after cutting out dairy.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 05-09-2011, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

The probiotic is just a capsule- no dairy. I could try eliminating soy. It is hard to get enough protein as a vegetarian without dairy or soy. :(

Old 05-10-2011, 05:40 AM

how long did you eliminate dairy? it can take 2 weeks to get out of your system.

also, look into foremilk/hindmilk imbalance caused by oversupply. My DS has been suffering from that, it has given him gas, reflux, spitting up, green watery poops, etc. you can correct it by block feeding

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

babies often fuss fart and grunt starting around 3 am when digestion kicks into high gear. not all babies are bothered by it but some are. some babies also have a hard time figuring out  how to work all the muscles down there and get super grunty. just grunting doesnt mean there is an issue or that they are uncomfortable it can be unnerving however and it often seems like we need to intervene. I see it a lot when I am with twins since their systems tend to be even more immature. I worked as a night nanny for many years out of the 100 babies i have cared for 75% have been this way at least

is the baby crying or just grunting and such? are you swaddling? sometimes a good swaddle can really help belly issues at night.

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
Old 05-10-2011, 12:22 PM

also wanted to ask if you are giving the baby probiotics? we use Udo's Choice Infant (dairy free) and it helps with the gas and such

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Old 05-10-2011, 06:11 PM

You could also try infant massage. If you did a massage and maybe bath before bed that could help with sleep. There are massage-based ways to help push the gas out. One is to baby's right side of the stomach and make like a complete semicircle around the belly button. You might actually be able to feel the gas bubbles. I hope you get some relief!! 

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:39 PM

this can be super helpful for a lot of babies! what a great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakareyasMama View Post

You could also try infant massage. If you did a massage and maybe bath before bed that could help with sleep. There are massage-based ways to help push the gas out. One is to baby's right side of the stomach and make like a complete semicircle around the belly button. You might actually be able to feel the gas bubbles. I hope you get some relief!! 

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
Old 05-11-2011, 01:28 AM

The March DDC was just talking about this grunty time. It seems to be the norm!

You might want to check your probiotic for dairy, if you think that is the issue. Mine was cultured in yogurt and was labeled 'vegetarian'. There are some vegan caps out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

Old 05-11-2011, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas. In response to some questions and comments... she does not usually cry she just fusses and grunts very loudly. And I had already tried the belly massage, but her muscles are so tight, it is not really effective.

So if this is normal... does any one know when it is normal to grow out of? When do babies' digestive systems begin to mature?

Old 05-11-2011, 12:28 PM

http://www.babydiseases.net/grunting_baby_syndrome/grunting_baby_syndrome.html

some insight for you.usually the babies I have will be better by about 3-4 months but sometimes as long as 6 months. it can be tough to listen to

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabird83 View Post

Thanks mamas. In response to some questions and comments... she does not usually cry she just fusses and grunts very loudly. And I had already tried the belly massage, but her muscles are so tight, it is not really effective.

So if this is normal... does any one know when it is normal to grow out of? When do babies' digestive systems begin to mature?

User Tag List