Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 08-26-2011, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my experience exactly!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacridote View Post

OMG. YES! If DH complains about being tired I pretty much want to pick up the nearest heaviest thing I can find and throw it at him. ESPECIALLY when he wakes up in the morning and says to the baby "Well you slept good last night, didn't you?" and DS has woken up 5 or 6 times. 

Honestly, at this point, I am just amazed that my hair doesn't stand on end. I haven't slept more than 3 hours at a stretch (and that's a luxury!) in 14 months... well more actually as I barely slept the last 8 weeks of pregnancy.

11 month old son goes down at 7:30pm, and he's up at 11, 1, 3, 5.  We don't cosleep (my 70 lb dog doesn't seem to be able to vacate what would be my son's spot) but at 5am I put him in bed with us just in a sad attempt to get 1 more hour of sleep.  Each wake-up, I nurse him back down.  Sometimes my husband will help and I won't need to nurse but that's rare-- while he complains of getting no sleep he usually sleeps through my son's screaming.

I keep thinking, these moms that have good sleepers, I'm betting many of them CIO'd and just don't admit it.  A friend (really, a "frienemy") has a 1 month old and went to a seminar on baby sleep today and I know exactly what went down with that-- she's going to CIO her 5 week old, disgusting!

I just can't help thinking how much easier moms have it who have sleepers.  I used to be a competitive athlete, and my husband was semi-pro, but with the lack of sleep neither of us have even bothered racing this season.  I see others that bounce back so fast.  It's super hard.

#32 of 34 Old 08-29-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieInChicago View Post

I keep thinking, these moms that have good sleepers, I'm betting many of them CIO'd and just don't admit it.  A friend (really, a "frienemy") has a 1 month old and went to a seminar on baby sleep today and I know exactly what went down with that-- she's going to CIO her 5 week old, disgusting!

I think many people will happily admit that they CIO, because they literally believe that *everyone* does it - and they think it's the only way a child will ever learn to STTN. Although it is interesting what some people consider "STTN" - a good friend of mine who has a son who sleeps really well just casually mentioned that she will only go in his room if he's been crying for 20 minutes or so. This is someone who does not believe she lets her kid CIO - and that also means that if he cries and goes back to sleep in less than 20 minutes, she considers that "sleeping through." I always tend to my son when he cries within a few seconds (if I am sleeping right next to him) or a minute (if I am downstairs). I don't know if he would fall back to sleep if I let him cry, but I'm not going to find out.

I am kind of sad that DS, who just turned one, still isn't sleeping better. But I have seen a few encouraging signs recently, like a few nights where he only woke about 4 times total and a couple of times when he slept 4-hour stretches. I'm hoping that these can slowly increase! I've also been able to successfully involve my husband in handling a few nightwakings, and I want to continue doing that. But recently DS has had a double ear infection and was having horrible nights where it felt like he was waking every 20-30 minutes. Last night was the first night approaching normal in a long time (and it still wasn't perfect).

It's funny for me to read everyone complaining about how it feels when anyone else says they are tired - I do the exact same thing! For me, it is most frequently DH who I am annoyed with...he sleeps in a different room from me and DS and for the most part, can sleep uninterrupted through the night. I have no sympathy, but I try to be nice because I do rely on him for a lot of housework and cooking because I try to get to bed early for extra sleep! It's sad that we don't see each other much anymore though.

First time mom to Max, born 8.23.2010!
#33 of 34 Old 08-29-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwise View Post

I've also been able to successfully involve my husband in handling a few nightwakings, and I want to continue doing that. 

This weekend I tried that and it really helped-- I am starting to believe that nursing my son down every time he wakes just encourages him to keep waking up.  We had my husband handle all but the midnight and 3am wakings on Friday, and on Sat he only woke up at 12pm, 3am, and 5am!  Getting better, just a little.

#34 of 34 Old 08-31-2011, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieInChicago View Post

This weekend I tried that and it really helped-- I am starting to believe that nursing my son down every time he wakes just encourages him to keep waking up.

I've noticed this too, and I've stopped automatically taking our girl (almost 7 weeks) out of the crib automatically every time she fusses. (She sleeps in our room so I always hear her before she wakes up enough to cry.) Instead I'll stroke her head and try to see if she's rooting on my hand. Sometimes the stroking soothes her and she falls back asleep for another chunk. Other times she wakes up again in 5 minutes and is clearly hungry so then I feed her. I actually managed a few 4-5 hour stretches this way (though not LAST night...oy!).

Two nights ago DD and I got maybe 2 hours of sleep total. She was rooting to nurse about once every hour, with often about 10-20 minutes in between. This continued all day the next day too. We're thinking it was a growth spurt since she suddenly outgrew several outfits, but weirdly she hasn't really gained weight the last couple of days. Maybe she used all the calories to grow lengthwise? It was exhausting and after another frequent-waking night last night I finally handed her to hubby this morning and asked for a break. Luckily, dd then slept 3 hours under his care so I got some sleep. Why couldn't I get her to do that? Sometimes I think she just smells the milk on me and then wants to nurse...

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page