Struggling Sleepers Tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Alright mamas, we're scattered about in different places (July 2010 chats, 8-10 months sleep regression thread, etc.) but let's all come together here and support each other as we go through this challenging phase in our babe's lives.  (Key word: phase.  For some of us, a long hellish exhausting phase with seemingly no end in site but STILL, just a phase!)

It sort of reminds me of the TTC forum, anybody hang out there when they were trying to get pregnant?  We can all commiserate here until we each get our BFSTTN (that would be Big Fat Sleeping Through The Night) instead of our BFP's.

So come out, all of you.  Grab a cup of coffee, prop your eyelids open with some toothpicks, and share your story.

Me: DS is 9.5 months old.  Slept like a dream for the first 3.5 months, waking only to eat.  By 8 weeks or so he was doing nice 5 or 6 hour stretches.  Slept through the night exactly once on October 17, 2010.  Hit the 4 month sleep regression and we've been in sleep hell ever since - if he sleeps a 4 hour stretch I start to worry that he's dead.  We cosleep.  My recent (small) success is that he finally no longer needs his Woombie.  Current frustration is no time in the evening for myself.  Last night he went down at 7:08 and then at 7:15, he coughed and it woke him up.  I didn't get him back down until 8.  I feel like I haven't seen my husband in weeks, and it seriously seems inconceivable to me that he will ever sleep through.

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 09:19 AM

Ick!!!

My 8.5 mo has started sleeping better the last 3 nights!!! Better as in: bed around 8, wake every 30 minutes for 1-2 hours, sleep till 12-1ish, sleep till 5ish, nurse sleep till 7-8. This is heaven to me:)smile.gif

What I changed: at his midnight waking I nurse him, change his diaper to wake him (or really pretend to since he is usually dry until 4-5:00), and nurse again. Then he will sleep 3-4 hours straight!!! GLEEEE!!! smile.gif I guess he really is very hungry at night but falls asleep before filling up his tummy. At least he's not waking every 1-3 hours anymore like he was for months!

And yes, once we hit the 4 month regression, all hell broke loose! When Caden was 1 week old he was sleeping 6-8 hours straight, 3 months old and he'd wake 2-3 times a night.

Not so much anymore....

Also, naps are starting to get funky. He wakes up every 30 minutes though he used to only do this at the beginning of his nighttime sleep. So right now I'm holding him until he's been sleeping for at least 30 minutes:)

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

Old 05-11-2011, 09:37 AM

The only thing that keeps me going some days is knowing that it's not just me!! Thanks for this thread:):)

Ds is almost 12 months and he has always been a poor sleeper. He is restless, doesn't settle easily and wakes often. He was doing 4-5 hour stretches before 4 months, since then it has been 2-3 hours at most. I try not to nurse him at every waking but he does drink quite a bit so I don't want to deny him. We think that he has gluten and dairy issues too so I don't want to limit night nursings as his diet isn't as high calorie as it could be. We don't cosleep because he seems to sleep better on his own but if I can't get him to go back down in his crib (some nights he cries as soon as he hits the mattress, lather, rinse and repeat), I take him into the spare bed with me and if I am lucky he will fitfully sleep for 3-4 hours. He wakes often at 5 am (or earlier) to poop but his wake times vary from 5 - 7 so his naps are all over the place too but he sort of follows the 2-3-4 pattern. He fights sleep and I rock him or sway in the Ergo to get him down. He is starting to nap longer stretches!! Used to be 30 minutes max but for the last month or so he sometimes even naps 2 hours - usually 1-1.5 - twice a day. He almost never wakes up happy :( I LOVE those times but they are few and far between. He is usually still sleepy and grumpy for a bit after he wakes up:( I have gotten used to the sleep deprivation and am not as upset about it anymore but I look like crap with bags under my eyes. I am returning to work to teach morning kindergarten in August so I am hoping that he will clean up his act by then. I am thinking of night weaning him but don't have the energy to try yet. Yawn.

Mama to Callahan 05/18/10 cold.gifteapot2.GIF
Old 05-12-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBirdy View Post

Me: DS is 9.5 months old.  Slept like a dream for the first 3.5 months, waking only to eat.  By 8 weeks or so he was doing nice 5 or 6 hour stretches.  Slept through the night exactly once on October 17, 2010.  Hit the 4 month sleep regression and we've been in sleep hell ever since - if he sleeps a 4 hour stretch I start to worry that he's dead.  We cosleep.  My recent (small) success is that he finally no longer needs his Woombie.  Current frustration is no time in the evening for myself.  Last night he went down at 7:08 and then at 7:15, he coughed and it woke him up.  I didn't get him back down until 8.  I feel like I haven't seen my husband in weeks, and it seriously seems inconceivable to me that he will ever sleep through.

This is basically my exact story, except DS is 8.5 months, never used a Woombie, and he had 2 nights where he slept through, December 10 and 11, 2010. The past 2 days have been relatively restful, although it's amazing how much my definition of a "good" night has changed since last December (that's when our sleep started to go downhill). I remember one night when my son was sleeping well, and I was unhappy because he woke up TWO times in one night. (I was used to only one night waking.) Nowadays, if he only woke two times, I would be ecstatic!

I tend to go to sleep at the same time as DS just to maximize my sleep. But that means I basically haven't had any evening time to do anything for months, and my husband and I only get to spend time together on the rare occasions that we can get together for lunch when DS is at daycare. I don't complain because I think we are handling things the best way possible, but I look forward to the day when I have my evenings back and can get a few solid hours of sleep in a row!

First time mom to Max, born 8.23.2010!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunwise View Post

This is basically my exact story, except DS is 8.5 months, never used a Woombie, and he had 2 nights where he slept through, December 10 and 11, 2010. The past 2 days have been relatively restful, although it's amazing how much my definition of a "good" night has changed since last December (that's when our sleep started to go downhill). I remember one night when my son was sleeping well, and I was unhappy because he woke up TWO times in one night. (I was used to only one night waking.) Nowadays, if he only woke two times, I would be ecstatic!

I tend to go to sleep at the same time as DS just to maximize my sleep. But that means I basically haven't had any evening time to do anything for months, and my husband and I only get to spend time together on the rare occasions that we can get together for lunch when DS is at daycare. I don't complain because I think we are handling things the best way possible, but I look forward to the day when I have my evenings back and can get a few solid hours of sleep in a row!

We are sooo in the same boat.  DH and I are taking tomorrow off and DS is still going to daycare.  We have no plans, except that at some point during the day we're actually going to have s-e-x!  And I would give anything to have my evenings back.  I can't imagine what it's like to have a baby that STTN... if not for this sleep stuff parenting this kid would be a walk in the park!

Last night we may have gotten a 5 hours stretch.  Either that or I was sleeping reaaallly deeply.  Usually when DS wakes I roll over/switch him to the other breast, glance at the clock, rearrange the covers and fall back asleep.  I'm not awake for very long but in the morning I can usually remember what time it was when I looked at the clock at various points in the night.  Last night I got up to pee at 10 and nursed DS back to sleep, then rolled over with my back to him.  Usually he doesn't like this and wakes up soon after, but the next thing I knew I looked at the clock at it was 3:00!  I'm going to try it again tonight but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:24 PM

Thank you so for this! I started the "sleep boot camp" thread a while ago. Pfah. That didn't go anywhere (for me anyway.)

I was just saying THREE of the same things you gals are:

1. I can't imagine how this is ever going to get better

2. I can't imagine how EASY it would be if I had a babe who slept!

3. I haven't seen my husband in what seems like months.

DS (10 mo) goes down around 7:30 (if I miss that window - he's up till 9.) He'll wake about 8:30 for a quick snack, then up at 10, 12, 2, 4, up for the day at 6. I sleep with him in the big bed, DH sleeps with older DD (yet another sleep fighter) or on couch.

The problem is that at some of those wakings, he'll do a quick nurse and go back down - but sometimes he won't - he'll want to sleep curled in the nursing position - so I'm sitting up or he just wakes up and fusses/cries or he's just up and not tired. Somtimes it's teethign, sometimes I think it's a developmental thing (he's trying to walk like crazy) - sometimes he's got a sensitive tummy and something is bothering his GI system.

I was just thinking about posting here b/c I'm so SICK of people telling me " oh just let him cry,"  - ferberize him! You'll be doing him a favor so he can get some real sleep.irked.gif

I have no idea what we can to do try to fix this. 

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

Old 05-12-2011, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by whozeyermamma View Post

I was just thinking about posting here b/c I'm so SICK of people telling me " oh just let him cry,"  - ferberize him! You'll be doing him a favor so he can get some real sleep.irked.gif

I have no idea what we can to do try to fix this. 

I see a DO who specializes in alternative & complimentary medicine.  I went to see him because I was so so sick and I was sure he would understand why I couldn't take anything heavy duty (cough syrup with codeine, etc.) because of having a cosleeping, nightwaking babe.  He asked me if I "ever just let him scream through it" and that it would be a "survival skill he'd have for life".  I nearly died!  Stick to your guns mama... if it does not seem like the right thing to do, don't do it.

As far as fixing it, I've been helped immensely by accepting that this is normal (or within the range of normal) and that there are little things that I can do it to tweak things but ultimately he has to do it on his own.  So now I focus on what makes ME the most comfortable and gets me the most sleep.  Which is cosleeping and DH sleeping in the guest room.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Me: DS is 9.5 months old.  Slept like a dream for the first 3.5 months, waking only to eat.  By 8 weeks or so he was doing nice 5 or 6 hour stretches.  Slept through the night exactly once on October 17, 2010.  Hit the 4 month sleep regression and we've been in sleep hell ever since - if he sleeps a 4 hour stretch I start to worry that he's dead. 

This sounds like almost 11 month old DS2.  For the first 4.5 months he slept like a dream, it was wonderful.  Then it changed, and in October he started waking up.  Not just a few times a night to nurse (that's normal, I could deal with that), but every 30 minutes, all night, every night.  There were nights when the only thing stopping me from hurling myself out the bedroom window at 3 am was the fact that it is a VERY skinny window and I would get stuck, necessitating a call to the Fire Department to pry my sleep-deprived butt out of the window.  I had already been dairy-free and soy-free since he was about a week old (all of my kids had dairy & soy sensitivities), but in February I went on the total elimination diet to see if there were any other foods bothering him.  Eggs, the first food I reintroduced after the 2 weeks elimination, seemed to bother him so I cut those out.  His sleep improved moderately, I was no longer unsafe to drive and I could function.

It's been a rough, rough road.  If anyone else tells me "oh, I just sleep through the night nursings" then I'm going to do something unspeakably horrible to them.  I've coslept with all my kids, this isn't something new and unheard of to me, but these nightwakings are in an entirely different category.  And the oh-so-helpful "nap while the baby naps" doesn't cut it either, or else my older 3 will gleefully dismantle the house if I fall asleep.  One day at a time, one night at a time.  It's always more frustrating in the middle of the night, though, that's when it's the hardest to deal with.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 05-12-2011, 02:35 PM

I am so with you, ladies!

DS is almost 10 months and has always slept poorly, but it escalated to utter crap just recently. I solo-parent during the week and get completely frustrated evenings because I have no one to pass the baby off to so that I can have a moment to myself, shower, read a book, or come here. I have no life and DP and his family are not sympathetic. I should CIO him properly and then everyone will be happy again. Ugh.

Anyhow, I have been losing my mind here of late. Last night I freaked out again and pushed the pack'n'play out of the bedroom and into the next room and left ds there to holler all he wanted to. He wouldn't sleep, wouldn't nurse, was crawling all over me and the bed and whining. It was 2:30 am. My dd (10 yo) woke up, checked on ds and then kicked my butt out of bed. But after crying up a storm, he was exhausted and then finally fell asleep. Which is how he always falls asleep anyways - huge, dramatic, out of control fussy evening followed my a conk out at the breast (minus my desperatation).

Well, this message took 45 minutes to write and I've got to go because he woke up AGAIN after I tried putting him down after he fell asleep at the breast AGAIN.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

Old 05-12-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sonja View Post

There were nights when the only thing stopping me from hurling myself out the bedroom window at 3 am was the fact that it is a VERY skinny window and I would get stuck, necessitating a call to the Fire Department to pry my sleep-deprived butt out of the window. 

ROTFLMAO.gifOk; that made me laugh so hard I felt a little better. After a really bad night I sent DH this expletive-laced email and his response had this subject line: Please don't kill my son.

Quote:

Quote:

As far as fixing it, I've been helped immensely by accepting that this is normal (or within the range of normal) and that there are little things that I can do it to tweak things but ultimately he has to do it on his own.  So now I focus on what makes ME the most comfortable and gets me the most sleep.  Which is cosleeping and DH sleeping in the guest room.

This is very good advice! I took a nap with him this morning (which I can thankyouthankyouthankyou do b/c DD is in school,) b/c even though I had tons of crap that needed to get done I knew I needed it.

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

Old 05-12-2011, 11:16 PM

Oh wow, it is great to know I am not alone!  Our baby girl is 9 months old.  So many things are on hold/ignored right now because of the importance of her sleep and the fact that she doesn't sleep well alone.  It is nice to hear from other mamas who are equally (or more) tired but not interested in "cry-it-out," which just feels 100% wrong to me.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:59 AM

One of my coworkers shared this link on Facebook today - it's a book that we could probably all use! wink1.gif

http://goo.gl/O3eoY

Old 05-13-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post

I am so with you, ladies!

DS is almost 10 months and has always slept poorly, but it escalated to utter crap just recently. I solo-parent during the week and get completely frustrated evenings because I have no one to pass the baby off to so that I can have a moment to myself, shower, read a book, or come here. I have no life and DP and his family are not sympathetic. I should CIO him properly and then everyone will be happy again. Ugh.

Anyhow, I have been losing my mind here of late. Last night I freaked out again and pushed the pack'n'play out of the bedroom and into the next room and left ds there to holler all he wanted to. He wouldn't sleep, wouldn't nurse, was crawling all over me and the bed and whining. It was 2:30 am. My dd (10 yo) woke up, checked on ds and then kicked my butt out of bed. But after crying up a storm, he was exhausted and then finally fell asleep. Which is how he always falls asleep anyways - huge, dramatic, out of control fussy evening followed my a conk out at the breast (minus my desperatation).

Well, this message took 45 minutes to write and I've got to go because he woke up AGAIN after I tried putting him down after he fell asleep at the breast AGAIN.

Terrilein how are you holding up today??  I was thinking about you.  I know you've wrote before about your struggles with DS and I can't imagine going through it alone.  Your description of how your son falls asleep makes me think of this post: http://www.askmoxie.org/2006/06/babies_and_cio.html.  Maybe he is a "tension decreaser"?  (And please don't misread this as just another person telling you to CIO!!  I am most definitely not.  I just thought the information might be useful.)

Today I interviewed a cleaning person to do housekeeping a few times a month (DH and I both work).  I don't know why I felt the need to go into detail about the exact sleeping arrangements of my household.  (DH sleeps on a double in the room where DS's unused crib is; I sleep on a queen on the floor in our bedroom which is next to the cosleeper that DS also refuses to sleep in, so it does look a little odd to an oustider.)  I think it was cause part of me wanted to put the facts out there lest she make her own assumptions which are worse.  I think another part of me thought she seemed pretty crunchy and maybe she'd say, "Oh sleeping with your baby is so good for them!"  She was the type who talks a lot and she said she slept with her babies but then made some comment about "Be careful with that" and "It's ok to tell them no".  I dunno, today I suddenly feel like I did in the newborn weeks where I don't know what the hell I'm doing and after a long time of not doing this I find myself blaming a lack of parenting skills for the poor sleep :(

Old 05-14-2011, 01:27 AM

Wow, that was a really excellent article, LittleBirdy! But I still am not sure about ds. I think he's a mix of both. He often just NEEDS to escalate and have a full-on tantrum to release all his energy before he can sleep. When he was much smaller I would put him down in his crib when he was tired and he'd often fuss to sleep. But not always. Sometimes he would cry and cry and cry non-stop if I tried just putting him down in his bed and left. So if he's not out after 2 minutes or so, I go get him. But he doesn't fuss to sleep anymore. Most times these days he nurses down. Last night ds came home and ds got totally overexcited at his return and could hardly contain himself. He wouldn't nurse and was climbing/crawling all over me, at least he didn't cry/scream. DP ended up rocking him to sleep. And the night before last he actually slept 5 hours. I think he slept a fair bit last night, too, after I gave him a homeopathic suppository.

ETA: And to other readers: no I'm not interested in trying CIO so please refrain from sending me PM's with CIO advice, thank you!

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

Old 05-14-2011, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post

Wow, that was a really excellent article, LittleBirdy! But I still am not sure about ds. I think he's a mix of both. He often just NEEDS to escalate and have a full-on tantrum to release all his energy before he can sleep. When he was much smaller I would put him down in his crib when he was tired and he'd often fuss to sleep. But not always. Sometimes he would cry and cry and cry non-stop if I tried just putting him down in his bed and left. So if he's not out after 2 minutes or so, I go get him. But he doesn't fuss to sleep anymore. Most times these days he nurses down. Last night ds came home and ds got totally overexcited at his return and could hardly contain himself. He wouldn't nurse and was climbing/crawling all over me, at least he didn't cry/scream. DP ended up rocking him to sleep. And the night before last he actually slept 5 hours. I think he slept a fair bit last night, too, after I gave him a homeopathic suppository.

ETA: And to other readers: no I'm not interested in trying CIO so please refrain from sending me PM's with CIO advice, thank you!

She has a lot of really great stuff about sleep, and about tension increasers vs. tension decreasers.  Mine is a hybrid too.  I really like her blog because she's fairly crunchy/AP/whatever label you want to throw on it (she coslept, used cloth diapers, slings, etc.) but she is very anti-dogma.  And funny!

Hooray for the 5 hours!!  We're approaching the 10 month mark, maybe things will start to settle down eh?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:24 AM

Hey ladies,

I want to resurrect this thread and see how things are going with you. Any changes or improvements? None on my end, other than the fact that we are going to change our sleeping arrangements (me and DS moving to his bedroom -  DH staying in our bedroom) so that I can hopefully, sometime within the next few months, start to buckle down and work on the sleep issues! The biggest challenge for me is doing anything besides nursing to address the night wakings - I have never done anything beyond trying to get him to take a paci, and I always abandon that strategy in a few seconds if he doesn't want it.

Another thing - lately DS hasn't been nursing to sleep as regularly as before. Now he often nurses for a few minutes, then rolls over, sits up, and wants to crawl around and play. (It was so much easier when he wasn't mobile!!) I usually just let him do so, but I just sit quietly and try to not engage with him in a "fun" way. I just leave the boob accessible so he can come back and nurse if he wants. Sometimes he comes back and nurses to sleep; other times he plays for awhile before he slows down and falls asleep on his own (well, not completely on his own - he always uses a paci in those cases). Have any of you experienced this? How many hours is your baby usually in bed each night? I am starting to wonder if I need to put him down earlier for sleep, but since I WOH I feel like I have so few hours with him on weekdays.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunwise View Post

Another thing - lately DS hasn't been nursing to sleep as regularly as before. Now he often nurses for a few minutes, then rolls over, sits up, and wants to crawl around and play. (It was so much easier when he wasn't mobile!!) I usually just let him do so, but I just sit quietly and try to not engage with him in a "fun" way. I just leave the boob accessible so he can come back and nurse if he wants. Sometimes he comes back and nurses to sleep; other times he plays for awhile before he slows down and falls asleep on his own (well, not completely on his own - he always uses a paci in those cases). Have any of you experienced this? How many hours is your baby usually in bed each night? I am starting to wonder if I need to put him down earlier for sleep, but since I WOH I feel like I have so few hours with him on weekdays.

We went through this very same thing and it drove me nuts.  What was a huge help was nursing him to sleep while rocking him in the rocking chair.  I think the motion of rocking sort of satisfied his craving to be moving, yet it didn't prevent him from falling asleep the way crawling around did.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:17 AM

OK, I wanted to bump this one back up as we had a horrible night again. I've been getting my oldest down at 8 pm (she's 10) and then I chill and read while I nurse the baby down. He usually falls asleep by 9. HOWEVER, he will only sleep for an hour and is up and bouncing all over the place at 10 pm. So I've been going to bed when he gets up to nurse him back down for the night. This week DP is home and we were wanting to watch some TV together in the evening. Well, the baby woke up at about 10 as usual and wouldn't nurse back down. It pretty much ruined the evening for us. And DP kept complaining and making me feel like I'm a total failure because I can't get ds to sleep and I won't let him cio our baby. Any suggestions?

Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 AM

Hi there! Are you saying that your DS initially nurses down but then wakes up and is actually *awake* (that is, not just fussing and needing to be nursed down again)? (just want to make sure I am understanding correctly.) We are sort of going through something similar - Max is waking up so soon after I nurse him to sleep that I really have to stay with him after I put him to bed. I usually just sit in bed reading during that time. I do miss spending time with my husband! But Max will nurse back down after he wakes up, so it is not exactly the same.

One thing that has helped us a little recently is moving his bedtime earlier - we usually nurse down around 7:00 now. That has helped somewhat - it has at least made the initial nursing down easier. But this hasn't solved all our problems - we are still having too many wakings!

Wish I had better advice to offer!

Old 07-20-2011, 11:08 AM

yeah, he's wide awake and chirpy, running around and having a ball while my DP gives me the stink eye. I tried taking him to bed with me last night and he would not go down for the longest time. He was climbing all over the place, laughing and just not ready to sleep. I don't get it!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I found this thread and am posting because I feel bad complaining to my best friend (again), and DH is sick of hearing it eyesroll.gif I have a 3 year old daughter who is just, finally sleeping all night long in her own bed, and an almost 9 month old son. I thought DD was a tough sleeper, but I had no idea how much worse it could get! DS has the very same waking routine he had since 3 months old. That is, waking every 2 - 3 hours all night long. Lately, though, he can't get back to sleep after nursing, either. He is just big and aware and wakes up the second I put him down. When he slept with us, it was the same - fussing all night, nobody could get comfortable or have enough room. Now he is in his crib, sharing a room with his very sound sleeping big sister. Anyway, I've tried the No Cry Sleep Solution, lots of cereal before bed (I know, I know), a food snack in the middle of the night, changing his dipe, NOT changing his dipe... um... manually rocking his crib or bouncing my hands on his mattress, the yoga ball, patting, shushing, pick up / put down... He falls asleep for a few minutes, then wakes right back up. The wakings at 9, 11, 1, 3, and 5 are bad enough, but when he won't go back to sleep for 45 minutes, well, you don't need to do the math to see how little sleep I'm getting. 

DH (who can sleep through all of this) tells me that it's the same as it was with DD, but just more exhausting because there are 2 kids to care for now. Personally, I think I would remember going for 9 months on 4 hours a sleep a night if it had happened to me before. Once, I drank a cup of Kava tea, not knowing it was a nursing no-no. DS slept for 6 hours! The next day, I felt like I was on some wonderful drug and could do anything. When I learned that the tea was off-limits, I threw it out and wept :)

Thanks for listening to me vent.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:33 PM

I just saw these posts, since the thread was resurrected....i'm just another mamma in the same boat!

DS is 9 months old and just can't sleep.  I know it's possible for him to sleep, since he will throw a night in there where he will only wake up once, but it's been 4 times in his entire (albeit short) life. He has woken up every 2-3 hours every night since he was born....and now it's even worse! He's been waking up between every 20 min to an hour, with maybe a 1.5 hour stretch in the morning (during which he tosses and turns and keeps me awake anyway). 

We have the crib side carred so that DS is within arms reach, or as of late, just stays in my arms. We've been battling food allergies/intolerances, and he's been teething, and learning to walk, and the list goes on....

DS used to go to sleep by 8pm, and for a little while, I would be able to sneak out to the living room and hang out with DH on occasion (this happen(ed) about 2 times per week for about a month), but now DS is so happy to see DH when he gets home from work, that he won't go to sleep to 9 or 9:30.  And DH will usually fall asleep on the couch and some times make it into the bedroom. We barely see each other! I can't wait until this gets easier!!! But from my Mom's stories about me, that won't happen until DS is 2!! Argh!

On another note, I can relate to the baby nursing almost to sleep - his eyes are closed and his breathing gets real even....and then BAM his eyes pop back open, his legs start kicking and he's rolling over with a HUGE grin on his face, starts giggling and crawls like a mad baby away from me and starts to play.  No interest in sleeping...sometimes I think he *thinks* he had a nap.  If I try to get him back to sleep, he screams! I can usually tell though, if he is crying because he is over tired or not tired yet. Sometimes I think I'm going crazy!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

Old 08-19-2011, 04:39 PM

I am right there with you! My DD is 7 1/2 months and since she turned 4 months she started waking up every hour at night. Sometimes she fusses and doesn't ant to go back down.  I am so tired during the day that it is really hard to work. I also read the NCSS and tried the techniques, but things still the same. DH has a really hard time with the situation and thinks we should be trying harder. In the middle of the night all I want to do is go back to sleep. I can't think about patting her down or trying to cut down on feeding times until she is finally able to put herself to sleep. Sounds like a joke. I hope we get some sleep soon!

Old 08-21-2011, 12:19 PM

We're going thru a rough time with sleep here too!  DS is 7 months old and is a terrible sleeper unless he is in bed with me and curled up in my arms, but then I don't sleep!  He's a terrible napper too, he takes 2-3 cat naps during the day lasting abotu 30 minutes each (45 minutes if I'm really lucky).  He goes to bed the same time as DD every night, around 7:30 or 8 and sleeps in his crib for a few hours.  Then he comes into bed with us and that's the only way I can get him back to sleep.  Last night he was super tired and fell asleep at 7 only to wake up at 10:30 and would not go back to sleep until 3 am!  Then of course DD is jumping in bed with me at 7 amirked.gif   I am so, so very tired these days. 

With his short naps and an almost 3 year old that doesn't nap I don't get any rest or time to myself.  I keep trying to remind myself that its just a phase and hopefully within a few months he will be STTN.  I think the worst is that he was such a good sleeper as a newborn.  By 2 months he was sleeping 8-9 hours stretches.  Then we hit the 4 month sleep regression and its been downhill ever since.  I would probably have been better off if he never STTN, those 2 months of sleep heaven were just a tease and now seem like a faint dream.

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
Old 08-21-2011, 03:20 PM

subbing.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 AM

Hmm, I think we may have just hit a "wonder week"...I'm not sure how many weeks DS is, but he's just over 9 months old, and all of a sudden, he went from a "godzilla baby" who destroys everything in his path, to trying to pile things up, and putting blocks through holes.  Amazing! Also he is sleeping in 2+ hour blocks after his evening cluster feeds - I feel so good! It's crazy when you think a 2-3 hour stretch of sleep is the best thing since sliced bread.  Oh well, hopefully we continue to improve! Although, I can see at least one more tooth starting to punch through LO's gums.....

Old 08-23-2011, 03:56 PM

SO GLAD THIS THREAD EXISTS! Although sad to say that all your comments probably mean it's not going to get any better for us soon.....

My daughter will be 7 months next week. In the last few nights, she has begun this INSANE new sleep pattern. We like to call it "not-sleeping-for-more-than-2-hours-at-a-time-and-getting-up-to-play-at 3:30am!"

She was never a GREAT sleeper, but she used to go about 3-4 hours at the beginning of the night before she would wake up to nurse, and then after that she would wake up every 2 hours or so. This was totally do-able for me, because she would just want some boob and go right back to sleep.

BUT - the last few nights have been an entirely different story. She wakes up around 3 or 4 and wants to get up and PLAY! She's in the crib right next to our bed, and I'll wake up to hear her babbling away. Once I nurse her, she just opens up those cute little eyes and is bouncing off the walls! This wakeful period usually lasts anywhere from half an hour to an hour and a half, after which we both PASS OUT again (and then I am forcefully awakened at 6:30 by my alarm clock telling me it's time to go to work).

She's also been napping less frequently during the day, but she's never been a great napper (especially when she's home with Dad during the day - she just needs the boob to get to sleep sometimes).

We started solids about a month ago, so that might be it. And she's REALLY wants to crawl, so that could be part of it....

Someone please tell me this will end sometime in the future!!!!

If ANYONE else (without a babe) tells me they are tired I'm going to punch them in the face!

Happy first time mama - Rosa born 2/4/11!
Old 08-23-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taos Mountain Mama View Post

If ANYONE else (without a babe) tells me they are tired I'm going to punch them in the face!

LOL. The other day a good friend said she was so tired. I asked her if she couldn't sleep the night before and she said "No, I slept 10 straight hours, but I just feel tired". I wanted to punch her, but instead I just said "Wait until you have a baby then we can talk about being tired". She is TTC now so it should be sooner than later. :)

Old 08-24-2011, 06:18 AM

....or if my Husband (who sleeps through everything) complains!! I think he's got the hint now and asks me very cautiously in the morning how both Nick and I slept, lol!

Old 08-25-2011, 03:00 PM

OMG. YES! If DH complains about being tired I pretty much want to pick up the nearest heaviest thing I can find and throw it at him. ESPECIALLY when he wakes up in the morning and says to the baby "Well you slept good last night, didn't you?" and DS has woken up 5 or 6 times. 

Honestly, at this point, I am just amazed that my hair doesn't stand on end. I haven't slept more than 3 hours at a stretch (and that's a luxury!) in 14 months... well more actually as I barely slept the last 8 weeks of pregnancy.

Keep up the posts. Commiserating really helps. :)

Jeannette

User Tag List