Reflux at 6 months? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-13-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son was diagnosed with reflux around 6 weeks. When all the suggested lifestyle changes and a total elimination diet on my part had no effect, we started him on Axid. He was a whole new baby. At some point the symptoms started coming back and we upped the dose according to the weight he'd gained, and things got better again.

He stayed on that dose for a long time, long past when he'd outgrown it. We figured he was probably outgrowing the reflux, and tried weaning him off medication, with horrible results -- going from STTN to waking every half hour, spitting up (with screaming) dozens of times a day, screaming and arching while nursing. So back on the drugs he went. I guessed he just needed that little bit, even though it wasn't a full dose for his size.

Now all of a sudden at six months we are seeing symptoms again, though nothing nearly as bad as when we stopped the medication altogether. I did call the pediatrician and she suggested a slight dose increase, which seems to have reduced but not eliminated his discomfort. We did start experimenting with solids recently, so there could be a connection, but honestly this started before the solids and he's hardly actually ingested any food at all.

Those of you whose babies had/have reflux... when did your baby outgrow it? Would it make sense to push for a bigger dose increase, or perhaps try a different medication? We still do all the lifestyle stuff (upright after nursing, sleep at an angle, etc). I guess I'm just trying to readjust my mindset, as I was so sure for the past few months that he was moving past it! Thanks in advance.

Skeptical scribbling dorkophile.
#2 of 2 Old 05-13-2011, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My guy got much worse after a growth spurt. We had to increase his prevacid dose a few times.

He's a year now and still on it.

Check out http://www.marci-kids.com/dosing.html to see if the dose is too low

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page