Your Hypothetical Shopping List - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 05-14-2011, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, my DP will be in San Fransico on business next weekend for a week. I want to give him a shopping list so that he can pick up some things for us. What baby items can you absolutely not live without? What about pain relievers? Any other items that YOU would want? I'll be cross-posting to get ideas. Obviously, Germans have things like paracetamol for babies, but I've heard that Americans have got more concentrated drops than we've got. And imagine, they don't have wax paper or paper plate holders here, either. I've lived here so long now that I don't miss much anymore except good Mexican food and even that is getting better here.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#2 of 26 Old 05-14-2011, 01:59 PM

Hmm... It's hard to answer that question without knowing what you have available in Germany, kwim? For pain relief we use infant ibuprofen and infant Tylenol. Otherwise I would tell DH to find a natural baby store and go nuts!

me + DH + DS (10/2010)
Never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way. - MLK

#3 of 26 Old 05-14-2011, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am going to make a huge list of stuff too, Terri. Going back to Canada in a few weeks. It IS hard remembering what we do without now. Here in Dubai it seems like we have everything but every now and again I come across something that I just can't find anywhere! I'll let you know if I think of something for my list too.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#4 of 26 Old 05-15-2011, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

chow mien noodles. i couldn't live without them. gripe water may b a good thing. though you have kinder eggs in Germany (yummy) so I am envious of that

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#5 of 26 Old 05-15-2011, 07:07 AM

Do you like Kraft Dinner? I missed that in Germany and also Tampax tampons.
#6 of 26 Old 05-15-2011, 02:02 PM

My friend in high school was an exchange student from Germany and she brought home a whole bunch of brownie mix. I dunno if they have that there now. When I lived in Spain I missed peanut butter and multipacks of markers. 

For you and your kids what about good sunscreen or a sun hat? Also maybe board books in English?

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#7 of 26 Old 05-15-2011, 07:26 PM

In general, it seems like German kids' and babies' things are so much higher quality, I would be hard-pressed to offer tips. Do you have soothies gel pads for sore nipples? Those are nice--and easy to take back in a suitcase.

#8 of 26 Old 05-16-2011, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn View Post

chow mien noodles. i couldn't live without them. gripe water may b a good thing. though you have kinder eggs in Germany (yummy) so I am envious of that

Actually, I have a couple extra unopened bottles of American gripe water if you need them Terri!

I would say have him get a few bottles of paracetamol and ibuprofen drops (and yes you only have to give less than 1/2 the dose of what we have here). Also, and this sounds funny, but I like the sippy cups there better. They have a cuter variety of colors and brands. And if you want those bowls that have a suction cup to stick to the table, I have yet to find them here. Ditto for high quality bibs. In general clothes are way cuter and cheaper there. Tell your DP the baby's size (I would think 12-18 months for the summer) and send him to Gap and Old navy to look (they may even have good sales on). Target also has great deals, but I'm not sure if there's one right in the city of SF. But yeah, for me it's clothes and the pain relief drops. Maybe also some cloth diapering supplies, don't they have a much wider variety there? If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#9 of 26 Old 05-16-2011, 12:47 AM

Oh yeah! Cloth diapers, of course. I dunno if you have good ones in Germany but we don't here so I ordered all of mine from the US/Canada and had them sent. This summer I'm going to get a few to add to our stash. Some of ours are pretty worn by now!

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#10 of 26 Old 05-16-2011, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

If you're wanting to buy pain relievers in bulk, I suggest you go to Target. They have a Target brand which is dye free and something like $1/jar. My 10 month old is 19lbs so he gets. 1.875ml of ibuprofen (a whole dropper) whenever he needs painrelief and you'd be shocked at how quickly you go through it when you have an illness. Daniel had a really hard time teething his first tooth and then followed it up with a week long virus that gave him 103+ fevers and we went through 2 bottles of ibuprofen in a week. So the moral of the story is that you should buy ALOT of it if you won't have access to it. Be sure to specify dye-free formulations.

I would definitely stock up on baby clothes (we love American Apparel stuff because it's generally affordable and really plain, but we also like Carters for basics).

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#11 of 26 Old 05-16-2011, 12:57 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I've never been to Germany so take that with a grain of salt...

BUT German/EU standards are generally much higher than the US for things like cosmetics/ toy safety/ etc. We actually buy a lot of European products as a result. I've heard that some of the safe/natural brands are actually cheaper in the US though so you might use currency exchange in your favor (Haba, Plan Toys, Kathy Kruse, Palumba, ) etc.

I've also heard that cute clothes can be cheaper in the US.

I know over the counter pain relivers are a little different but I don't which is better. In the US, you would either use Motrin (brand name) or ibuprofen (generic) http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t088900.asp  or Tylenol / Acetaminophen http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T089101.asp depending on what you wanted it to do. I buy it at Target because they offer a cheap dye-free generic.

#12 of 26 Old 05-16-2011, 01:31 PM

Go to somewhere like diapers.com and have a good browse. You could even order it shipped to where he is staying.

Cloth Diapers for sure are easiest to get in the States.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#13 of 26 Old 05-16-2011, 02:25 PM

oh yeah peanut butter!!! The Germans have no idea how to make peanut butter!
#14 of 26 Old 05-20-2011, 04:21 PM

My must have's:

Acetaminophen

Infant gas drops (not sure the medical name)

Ear thermometer

Honestly it's best to have this stuff on hand BEFORE you need it.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#15 of 26 Old 05-20-2011, 06:59 PM

I'm a German living in the US, so here's the stuff that I would bring back home.

- Clothes. Baby clothes are so expensive in Europe. My parents buy TONS and bring it back to my nephews.

- I agree on the ibuprofen drops, they are more concentrated here

- I agree on cloth diapers, way more expensive in Germany

Other than that I really don't know. I miss food from home so badly here and the high qualiy, yet affordable toys and cosmetic products (all that stuff is much cheaper than in the US, like at DM the Alverde line). Maybe if you like Leapfrog toys there is a better selection in the US (my son loves those fridge toys and I haven't seen them back home).

#16 of 26 Old 05-21-2011, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies for all your input!

@nia82 - it's been so long since I've been back to the States. I've asked my DP to bring me back "real" wax paper. But talking with other expats here, they seem to think that the Butterbrotpapier here is about the same. In my memory wax paper was more non-stick and really good for rolling out tortillas, for example. What's your take on that?

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#17 of 26 Old 05-23-2011, 01:58 PM

Oh I have no idea what wax paper is..... Haven't used Butterbrotpapier in decades, but I think you mean stuff like parchment paper for baking? But I think you mean Backpapier... it is paper with an anti-stick layer for baking.

23875.jpg

#18 of 26 Old 05-23-2011, 03:14 PM

Kit Kats & other American chocolate.

#19 of 26 Old 05-24-2011, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

@nia - nah, wax paper is different. At least with my faulty memory it is. I think it's more like Butterbrotpapier with the anti-stick effect of backpapier, but better.

@HappyMommy - bigeyes.gif I usually BRING chocolate to my family in the States because the chocolate in the States is so low quality. That said, you just reminded me of how much I miss peanut butter cups.

#20 of 26 Old 05-24-2011, 07:05 AM

hm I have to look into that! I have no immediate application for that however.

Hm I agree about the chocolate... Plus, you can eat Kitkat in Germany any day ;) They have it too. And Mars, Milky Way, Snickers...

#21 of 26 Old 05-25-2011, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Yeah I was gonna say: bring American chocolate to Europe? Huh?

...but yeah I too loooove those junky peanut butter cups...do we have those here? I don't think so.

So yeah Terri, have him bring some Reese's stuff, and an extra one for me! eat.gif

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#22 of 26 Old 05-25-2011, 02:49 PM

If you're boycotting Nestle though you can't have Kit Kats.
#23 of 26 Old 05-25-2011, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, I was just looking up the differences between parchment paper and wax paper and it sounds like I could actually skip the wax paper. Parchment paper supposedly does everything wax paper can and more. So maybe I'm always getting low quality parchment paper because gooey stuff sticks like mad to it. I don't remember wax paper being that bad. Well, I guess I'll see if he finds any and brings it back. He hasn't had any luck finding any yet. Today or tomorrow he's hitting up Walmart. He's sure to find some there.

#24 of 26 Old 05-26-2011, 01:08 PM

Where did he find Walmart in the Bay Area? I used to live in San Mateo and there was no Wallyland anywhere ;)

Nestle owns lots of good chocolate companies, sadly.

#25 of 26 Old 05-26-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

I have no idea. A quick google shows there's one in South San Francisco so maybe he went there or the boys went out for another day trip. I know they're planning on visiting San José tomorrow.

And yeah, bad, bad Nestle. You know they're going to start selling baby formula in capsules for their coffee machines?!?!? The idea just is so sickening. puke.gif

#26 of 26 Old 05-26-2011, 02:59 PM

Oh wow that must be new or slipped my radar back in my SFO days.... And yes to the formula coffee maker or whatever that thing is supposed to be. Yet another gadget one can sell I guess. :(

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page