Goat milk for 8-12 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband and I have an adopted daughter from Uganda. She's 7 months now. I've induced lactation and have been making most of the milk she needs since she was 5 months old (prior to that she was on formula but not thriving), however in about one month I'll have to discontinue pumping. I'm looking for an alternative. She does not tolerate milk based formula well (think puking and rashes). While I would consider soy formula if we had to, I don't like that it's a highly processed corn and soy based food like substance.

We're considering trying raw goat milk or possibly a goat milk formula recipe like the one from Weston A. Price or Dr. Sears. We have a great source for raw goat milk and the price is similar to formula. I'm not exactly sure yet what we would need to add to make sure she's getting enough nutrition. Any ideas? She's not a newborn and can get some things from foods.

Gabrielle will also be eating a wide variety of foods. She prefers food to milk most of the time now. I was thinking about just trying to fill in the gaps in the nutrition of the goat milk with a well balanced diet - sources of iron, folic acid, etc. We could also add a multivitamin and source of omega 3s.

In Uganda, where she is from, babies between 6-12 months typically drink cows milk and eat solid food. Formula is only used in the first 6 months (when moms can't breastfeed).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

if she has a cow milk intollerance (puking, rashes), it might be a good idea to make sure she can handle goat's milk before you stop pumping. some babies who can't do cow milk are fine with goat milk, but some aren't. as far as filling in nutrition with foods, you could search for vegan baby recipes...you'll be using milk of course, but vegan diets are very conscious of getting the right nutrients.

betsy:  wife to tony, mama to haven (7/6/10), arlo (m/c 1/21/12), and expecting valencia in late december.

"we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams" - arthur o'shaunessy

"if there is no dancing then it is not my revolution" - emma goldman

User Tag List