Mothering Forum banner

infants and eye contact

924 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  kittn 
#1 ·
Gracie is 5 weeks old and I get that I am probably being paranoid but she looks past me at my hair or other things around the room. instead of me. she makes fleeting eye contact but its infrequent at best. it seems like shes finding the contrasting things around the room behind my head ect. I'm worried. I already have one child with autism and another with aspergers. so seriously , should I worry?

she is otherwise fine. eating sleeping, although she is super super mellow which of course worries me too

#5 ·
The posters in my peds office say to watch for "no joyful expressions or big smiles by six months" as the earliest sign of autism. I totally understand being anxious, but I would give it time ... you can always call your kids' pediatrician to put your mind at ease.

#6 ·
OMG yes @ the ceiling fan. The ceiling fan was Maes best friend for quite a while and if she was fussy we could turn it on low and entertain her long enough to finish up what we were doing before we got to her.

At such a young age, eyes really arent interesting to her. Everything else in the world is interesting because she's never ever seen it before.

#8 ·
really? I feel better already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post

Also, babies at that age apparently recognize their mother by her hair line - so she's not staring past you, she's learning to recognize you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.