infants and eye contact - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2011, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Gracie is 5 weeks old and I get that I am probably being paranoid but she looks past me at my hair or other things around the room. instead of me. she makes fleeting eye contact but its infrequent at best. it seems like shes finding the contrasting things around the room behind my head ect. I'm worried. I already have one child with autism and another with aspergers. so seriously , should I worry?

she is otherwise fine. eating sleeping, although she is super super mellow which of course worries me too

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

At that age my DS would stare at the ceiling fan. He got better with eye contact at around 8-10 weeks I think.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:46 AM

DS barely gave us any eye contact at that age. I don't remember exactly when that improved, but I can say that now at almost 9 months, he is normal (gives eye contact and responds to his name).

First time mom to Max, born 8.23.2010!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:47 PM

I'd give it a month :)

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

Old 05-16-2011, 08:40 PM

The posters in my peds office say to watch for "no joyful expressions or big smiles by six months" as the earliest sign of autism. I totally understand being anxious, but I would give it time ... you can always call your kids' pediatrician to put your mind at ease. 

me + DH + DS (10/2010)
Never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way. - MLK

Old 05-17-2011, 06:09 AM

OMG yes @ the ceiling fan. The ceiling fan was Maes best friend for quite a while and if she was fussy we could turn it on low and entertain her long enough to finish up what we were doing before we got to her.

At such a young age, eyes really arent interesting to her. Everything else in the world is interesting because she's never ever seen it before.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:15 PM

Also, babies at that age apparently recognize their mother by her hair line - so she's not staring past you, she's learning to recognize you!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 05-18-2011, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

really?  I feel better already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post

Also, babies at that age apparently recognize their mother by her hair line - so she's not staring past you, she's learning to recognize you!

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog

User Tag List