When Did Your LO Get Their 1st Tooth and what did you notice? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What age was your Child when they got their first tooth?
Born with some! 0 0%
< 1 month 0 0%
1 month 0 0%
2 months 0 0%
3 months 1 7.14%
4 months 2 14.29%
5 months 7 50.00%
6 months 4 28.57%
7 months 7 50.00%
8 months 3 21.43%
9 months 2 14.29%
10 months 2 14.29%
11 months 1 7.14%
12 months or more 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-21-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious, I know there is a huge range with this. And in hindsight in the weeks leading up to their first tooth, what kinds of things did you notice most?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#2 of 12 Old 05-21-2011, 10:06 AM

My dd was 10 months when she finally got her first tooth. We didn't notice any changes. That she finally popped a tooth came as a complete surprise. She was generally pretty easy teething except when she got her eye teeth.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#3 of 12 Old 05-21-2011, 12:57 PM

DD got her first tooth 3 days before 6mo and the second 3 days after 6 mo! She may have been a tiny bit cranky, but she did an amazing job with the teething.  I don't know if she was going to have an easy time with the teeth or if the Amber Teething Necklace did it's job. 

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

#4 of 12 Old 05-21-2011, 02:01 PM

DD got her bottom two teeth at the same time when she was 6.5 months old.

About 1.5 months before they appeared, she started drooling a lot more, would sometimes randomly scream not long before bedtime (in a specific pained-sounding way), and gnawed on her two fingers constantly.  Also had greenish poop.  These symptoms lasted about a week (except the drooling), then reappeared about 1 week or so before her teeth erupted.  She also ran a low grade fever for a few days before her teeth came in, and any semblance of a decent stretch of sleep fell apart completely.

Oh, and ear grabbing.  Lots of ear grabbing.

We're dealing with the same things right now (just shy of 9 months), and I think her top teeth are starting to come in.

She's pretty dramatic, though, so we get a lot of emoting over here...lol.gif

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#5 of 12 Old 05-21-2011, 08:40 PM

DD's first bottom tooth popped through one day after she turned 6 months. She was a drool machine and seemed to have bouts of "unexplained fussiness" for about a month or two leading up to it.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#6 of 12 Old 05-21-2011, 10:04 PM

First tooth was at 5 months, we now have 6 teeth at 10 months.  Swollen gums, gnawing on toys, more frequent night-waking.  He wasn't nearly as fussy about it as I had imagined.  He has been wearing an amber necklace for a lot of it so maybe it did help.

ETA: how could I forget the drool!

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#7 of 12 Old 05-22-2011, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

First tooth at 5 months, he is almost one now and has 8 teeth.

I can't remember so much leading up to it (except he was drooling like a maniac for a couple months before and after!)....but it was extremely obvious when it actually broke through. There were a couple of nights when he was up screaming...that high-pitched scream that means pain. I think I could also see it about to bust out and so I knew that was where the pain was coming from.

I have a really terrible mommy brain memory, but I know the second tooth and maybe all the rest came in unnoticed. It was just that first one that was hell (so far!)

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#8 of 12 Old 05-22-2011, 08:19 AM

first tooth a week before reaching 6 months (I found out when he grabbed my finger to gnaw on it....ouch!)

drooling, gnawing on fingers/fists, sensitive to temperature (didn't like hot or cold items in mouth), mucosy poop, fussiness, increase in night wakings, rash around mouth....all these went on for a looong time before a tooth popped out but increased in intensity as he got closer. 

Amber teething necklace and teething tablets (we used to use Hylands but those are no longer on the market, so now we use Humphrey's) helped a TON. We only had to use tylenol/motrin right before a tooth emerged and that was our biggest clue that it was close. DS's teeth always emerged in pairs (within a few days of each other). He'd get two a month until they all came in.

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#9 of 12 Old 05-22-2011, 09:56 AM

I voted 3 months old,but maybe he was younger b/c when my baby was born I felt around in his mouth with my finger and took a good look in there after feeling something on my breast when he nursed. It felt like a tiny grain of sand on my breast. I thought I could see a tiny bit of white in one spot too when I looked. His first tooth came in just a few days a before Christmas and the 2nd a few days after. He now has 8 teeth! I proudly show them of to everyone we meet smile.gif He didn't get to fussy or anything really and didn't see to have much pain and for the first 2 I didn't give him anything at all.If he fussed I offered him his boobie and that worked for him. I just finally ordered an Amber necklace,but he doesn't wear it much. I like to give him Camillia for his tooth pain.
#10 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

my boy twin, the larger one, did finalyl get his first 2 teeth, within 36 hours of each other  (a week before he hit 6 months) with little signs 'cept for a tad more fussy and chewy. he was a champ. they are now 7 months today and no more yet or any for her at all. he looks like he is working on lower cainies though

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#11 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 12:51 PM

DD was around 9/9.5 months. She had tons of drool, gnawing on everything she possibly could. Up all night. We went through that part for months and no teeth. Then one day we were playing outside and she went for a rock I went to grab it and OMG there were two teeth on her bottom..lol Now we are back to drooling and gnawing on everything so far nights have been okay. But I think she is getting some top ones. (she is 11 months). 

#12 of 12 Old 07-28-2011, 12:37 PM

This is eerie--my DD is 13 weeks and these are EXACTLY the symptoms she's showing, including greenish poop that I noticed this afternoon. I just posted a thread yesterday about her disturbed sleep--people who responded suggested dairy allergy but given the finger sucking/chewing and the swiping at her ears, I wonder if she is an early teether. She's also been having weird meltdowns since 12 weeks that seem to come out of nowhere. No fever, but everything else you describe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurski View Post

DD got her bottom two teeth at the same time when she was 6.5 months old.

About 1.5 months before they appeared, she started drooling a lot more, would sometimes randomly scream not long before bedtime (in a specific pained-sounding way), and gnawed on her two fingers constantly.  Also had greenish poop.  These symptoms lasted about a week (except the drooling), then reappeared about 1 week or so before her teeth erupted.  She also ran a low grade fever for a few days before her teeth came in, and any semblance of a decent stretch of sleep fell apart completely.

Oh, and ear grabbing.  Lots of ear grabbing.

We're dealing with the same things right now (just shy of 9 months), and I think her top teeth are starting to come in.

She's pretty dramatic, though, so we get a lot of emoting over here...lol.gif

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page