Really need some hope/reassurance re constantly fussy 1-month-old - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 01-19-2013, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We recently took him to the doctor and he was actually diagnosed with reflux. We were prescribed some medicine but so far it doesn't seem to be making a difference. If anything, he seems to have gotten worse. A couple of weeks ago he was sleeping up to 3 hours at night, but now at 6 weeks, he seems to be waking up every hour. He is also making lots of grunting and strained noises in his sleep. I thought it might be a growth spurt, but he doesn't seem to be eating more than usual. We are seeing the doctor again in a week, and I'm hoping that she'll have some more insight. In the mean time, it seems like there's not much I can do other than wait it out and hope he grows out of whatever it is that's bugging him! 

#32 of 37 Old 01-20-2013, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

rugrat, How did the doctor diagnose him with reflux?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#33 of 37 Old 01-20-2013, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I was told Zantac can take up to two weeks to work full on but it helped my son until he was about 16 lbs at 3.5 months then we switched to prevacid which he's still on at almost 6 months. The prevacid has worked really well, when we split the solutab and give it twice a day.

ecstatic about BFP #2 after another round of Clomid,
TWINS!
EDD 2/15/2015
thrilled to welcome #1 after 17 months of ttc, 1 round of Clomid

DS LG  08/03/12
#34 of 37 Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 AM

Probably just repeating what others have said but my daughter (now 4) was the same way. I attributed it to either her traumatic birth experience, colic or that she was just a high needs baby, but I'll never really know why. What worked for us was babywearing, breastfeeding often (sometimes they just need to cluster feed, although its hard to tell with a fussy baby), cosleeping (BFing side laying) and swaddling at night. I had a lot of people tell me things get gradually easier around 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months and that seemed to be pretty accurate for us.  After 6 months things were pretty easy although we still continued with the usual routine to sooth her until she was older. 

Athena, mommy to Anastasia hearts.gif(1/18/09) and Genevieve luxlove.gif (1/22/13)

#35 of 37 Old 01-29-2013, 03:06 PM

Phathui: he was diagnosed with reflux just based on his behaviour (spits up frequently, arches his back when he cries, prefers to be held upright, etc.). But to be honest, I'm not entirely convinced his behaviour is caused solely by reflux, I think he's also just high-needs. We've been using Zantac for a couple of weeks now and I still haven't noticed a significant difference.

I'm glad to hear that other people have had similar experiences with their babies and had things turn out well down the road. We're getting close to the 8 week mark now and I'm still finding it pretty challenging. On the bright side, he's now starting to smile and has longer periods where he's interacting with us and not fussing or crying. I really hope things are much better by the time we hit the 3 month mark!

#36 of 37 Old 12-20-2013, 02:35 PM

Hi there. I know this post is old but when googling my issues with my 1 month old right now, it's the closest I've seen online to my situation. I am so desperate right now. My five week old baby is extremely fussy and never ever ever sleeps. Nothing works. I've tried it all. All of the "s's" from the happiest baby book, rocking, walking, carriage, singing swaddling everything. The only things that ever ever remotely work are putting the vacuum on right next to him and putting him in the bjorn. The problem is if I try to transfer him from the bjorn to the crib or a swing to sleep he wakes up immediately and we are back to square one. Also once I turn odd the vacuum he is up immediately. This is after I've waited 45 minutes to make sure he's definitely in a deep sleep. You would think because he's up all night (wakes up every 30 mins) he would sleep all day but that is not the case. He's up all day doing the same thing. He's rarely content and just sits awake happy. When he's awake hes usually fussing. Treating him for acid reflux with drops and Prevacid but he is still very fussy and doesn't sleep so I don't think it's that. I'm really starting to lose my mind. How can I get him to sleep?? How can I sleep with a bjorn on me or a very loud vacuum running all night? And god please someone tell me when this ends?!!!!! Thanks so much everyone for your advice!
#37 of 37 Old 12-22-2013, 11:18 AM

Hi Christina. I'm sorry you're going through a rough time - I've been there and I know how exhausting and stressful it can be. But it DOES get better. At five weeks, my son was constantly fussing around the clock and I was at the end of my rope. Now he is a little over a year old, and he is napping peacefully in his crib after sleeping 11 hours through the night. I can tell you I never thought that would ever happen!!! Like you, we also tried everything and nothing seemed to work. The onl thing that seemed to soothe him was bouncing on a yoga ball while holding him but i could rarely put him down. At around 4.5 months, he learned to roll over and suck his thumb and that made a WORLD of difference in his sleep. It was completely random, and something that none of the books I read would have encouraged us to try. Iwish I could give you a clearer answer, but all I can say is that sometimes our little ones just need some time adjust to the world both physically and mentally and they figure it out in their own time. Hang in there!!! If you need to vent or rant, or just someone to trade ideas with, please feel free to PM me!! Good luck!!!
Blanca78 likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page