getting 2month old to sleep for naps and night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-21-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

how do you all get your young ones to sleep?  i may be remembering wrong, but i thought i would just nurse my ds1 (now 7years old) to sleep.  my new ds2 (2 months old) seems to require a well-timed combination of walking him around with a bounce in my step and then at the right time quickly popping him on the breast while i continue to hold him and walk with a bounce in my step.  if i try either just the breast or just walking him around there is often screaming.  i was feeling totally incompetent until i discovered this 'formula' - now i'm mostly just tired (but with a lingering twinge of feeling incompetent).  anyone else out there have a challenge to get to sleep?  might this get easier with time?  thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 05-21-2011, 08:36 PM

My son is 9 weeks and doesn't nurse to sleep like my DD did (that was my fail safe with her, and the only thing she wanted most of the time).  I was at a total loss with DS, and have sort of figured him out:  At night: swaddle, boob until he settles, then quickly onto my shoulder with a blanket on his head to shield his eyes, and bounce...all while playing white noise.  Daytime: in Moby and walk/bouncing or on exercise ball with white noise (although he doesn't seem t be sleeping as long this way anymore).

You're not incompetent...it jut takes a while to figure them out.  I think it get easier in that you know your baby better and what their little signals mean, but at the same time, I know that once I think I have it all together he's going to decide that he needs something different and figuring out what the heck it is starts all over again!  

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#3 of 4 Old 05-22-2011, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

thanks, cratfishgirl.  anyone else have something they can share?

#4 of 4 Old 05-22-2011, 07:43 PM

1. full tummy
  2. swaddle, tight, if they think there is a chance they can get free they will drive themselves to a tizzy working at it
  3. pacifier, repeat to self "they're not evil"
  4. swing, with vibration, vibration is baby crack as my mom so smoothly phrased it

my twins have sleep wonderfully like this for all of their 5 months. i make sure they get lots of "me" time and i carry them around a lot, but i worked hard right from the start for sleep to be the time they were set down. if i hadn't the logistics of twins would have destroyed me

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page