How do I make a tiny nursery still feel "done"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-22-2011, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm early on with my first, too early to truly be planning nurseries, but this is something that has been on my mind a lot lately. 

Our nursery is essentially 8x8 not counting the closet. I do want it to be 'decorated' if definately not themed. I have a floor to ceiling closet organizer in the closet in that room, so I'm not as worried about storage and function so much as the room just looking unbalanced and unfinished. 

This is a photo of the room as it basically currently stands:

IMGP9772.JPG

That's looking in from the doorway, to the right the whole wall is the closet, so I can't put anything in front of it. The crib I want is 4.5x2.5 feet, and the glider I want is 3.5x3.5.  That's all I technically *need* in the room, but with only two pieces of furniture I just see it looking silly. I want to do something to balance it out and make it look done, without adding extra cost and clutter. 

The nursery below is something similiar in feel to what I want, open and breezy, while still feeling homey and comfortable. Suggestions? If I put a dresser in the room that's even big enough for a change pad on top I'm worried it'll look cluttered. The best I can come up with is maybe a small bookshelf?

12164980_YTKGol3B_c.jpg

Suggestions, or even better, photos, of put together, small nurseries that aren't all crammed in?

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 6 Old 05-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Banned

Check out ohdeedoh.com (it's apartment therapy's parenting section).  They are currently doing their small nursery contest so it should be full of ideas.

One thing - I'd consider where you want the glider.  I know most people put them in baby's room, but are you going to sit in baby's room and feed?  I moved mine to living room so I could use laptop or watch TV.  

My nursery is even smaller than yours.  Literally just has changing table and crib.  I think it looks cute.  

#3 of 6 Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 PM

getting a portable/mini crib will also help keep the room feeling open.  My 26 month average sized kiddo still fits in her's although she's right at the end of being comfortable so although they are smaller, they do last through the age you'd want one.  You can actually get crib bedding sets in that size as well.. as a bonus, chemical free natural latex/wool mattresses are cheaper in that size :)

I think you could fit a port a crib, a small changing table (the size of a changing pad, not longer) and a smaller glider in that room, and like pp said, you might never even use a chair in there.  I personally do but not everyone does.

#4 of 6 Old 05-23-2011, 09:06 AM
mra

Maybe you could skip the changing table and put a shelf there instead. We never use our changing table. We much prefer the floor especially when Julia started to get squirmy.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#5 of 6 Old 05-23-2011, 09:57 AM

Our nursery is not much larger than that. Since we co-sleep, we don't have a crib or anything for sleep in the room, which really helps to open up the space. We have a changing table/dresser, glider, and a small end table with lamp. (I do nurse in the nursery most of the time now because DS is too distracted when we nurse elsewhere.) We also put down a small area rug that is a designated "play space" where we keep many of DS's toys. (We also rearranged our living room furniture to make another play space on the first floor of our house.)

First time mom to Max, born 8.23.2010!
#6 of 6 Old 05-23-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies, I talked to DH this morning and he said just the two pieces of furniture and then a small bookshelf, kind of what I was thinking. Maybe add some small decorative shelves and such on the walls. 

I don't need the change pad in there, no. We'll have a pack and play in another room to use the change table for the first bit, and then be able to change on the floor or bed etc. 

Part of me is still hoping I think I can find one of those classic white wood three drawer dressers that is only about 30" wide, and pop it beside the door. If not, we'll do the small bookshelf idea. 

And actually you guys made me realize I'll need some sort of nightstand in there as well. I do really want the rocker int he room. That's my favorite part of nurseries, is how quiet and serene and relaxing they are (when not overwhelmed by toys), and I want to be able to capture that feeling. I have a super comfy couch in the living room for if I want to nurse in there, but the glider is my splurge for the nursery. 

The crib I'm not willing to give up either. lol. I picked it out before we even got pregnant, and I am soooo in love with it. It's a very mod, plain, basic looking crib, which is nice because without the ornamental design, it looks a lot smaller and doesn't distract you and make the space look more busy. It converts to a toddler bed, with or without a rail, and also has a drawer underneath as well. I'm well.. in love. And, it's made with good materials. 

I think as of right now, my plan is to shift the room so that coming in the door and going clockwise, you hit first the small bookshelf, then the glider in the corner, then a small end table on the top wall, and the crib along the right hand side wall. This may have to change, as the right side wall is an utside wall and we're a bit worried about how cold it will be, but we'll see. We're finishing the basement right now, so maybe I'll force DH to shoot some extra spray foam up there. 

Thank you ladies for calming my neuroses!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page