Are used shoes ok for baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-23-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
mra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone knows whether used shoes are ok for a baby or toddler to wear. We have a bunch of used shoes from my LO's cousin, but I thought I read somewhere that used shoes are no good because they are conformed to another child's foot and can therefore be bad for a child that is learning to walk. That makes sense, but I can't remember where I found the information and a quick Google search didn't return much.

If not, there is no sense in me keeping all these shoes around (seriously, like 25 pairs) for future use.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#2 of 11 Old 05-23-2011, 09:18 AM

My little guy is wearing hand-me-down Robeez that I think are on their forth kid :)

#3 of 11 Old 05-23-2011, 09:49 AM

If they seem hardly worn then I'd be ok with it. Their feet grow so fast that they hardly have time to break in a pair before it's time to get a new pair. So I'd just take a good look at them first.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#4 of 11 Old 05-23-2011, 09:51 AM

I wouldnt keep them if they were worn very much. Personally, i have very low arches, and when I buy used shoes or am handed down shoes, they hurt for weeks if the person had a high arch. I dont know if it would even be the same with babies, but I would save the ones that werent super broken in, and toss the ones that were. But, my baby is barefoot about 80% of the time so I wouldnt think Id need 25 pairs of shoes for my next one.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 11 Old 05-23-2011, 11:16 AM
tzs

i've heard that too but we do used shoes. but also my kid has very low-maintenence easy to fit feet.

plus i figure that there are kids out there wearing shoes that are duct-tapped together and still learn how to walk so we're good.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#6 of 11 Old 05-23-2011, 01:13 PM

i personally would rather only buy one or two pairs then have used shoes. but honestly my kids are barefoot 75% of the time.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#7 of 11 Old 05-23-2011, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My son is a tad bit older (born earlier the same month) and he doesn't have any shoes.  When we do get shoes (when he starts walking outdoors, they're just decoration before then) they will be soft soled and hopefully new.  Maybe he'll only have one set of shoes at a time but they'll be good ones!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#8 of 11 Old 05-23-2011, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
mra

We aren't actually using any yet. We have never even tried to put a pair of shoes on her. My SIL apparently likes to buy shoes for our niece and lots of them. I'm of the opinion that barefoot is better unless it is a safety issue.

Maybe I'll just sort through them and keep the ones that look pretty new.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#9 of 11 Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 PM

My LO's where used shoes here. I wouldn't worry especially if they're soft soled shoes. I probably started making sure used shoes were in better condition once ds was really running/playing/walking a lot (2-3 yrs?). How much can little babes wear their shoes out anyway?

#10 of 11 Old 05-23-2011, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm all for used baby shoes.
We get all 4 seasons, so kids go through shoes quickly. My kids stay barefoot almost all of the time so most of the hand me downs were only wore a handful of times.
Dd has yet to even come close to wearing out a shoe

Even my oldest isn't wearing out shoes. Went from size 5 this fall to size 9 this spring. Her gym shoes look brand new

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#11 of 11 Old 05-24-2011, 04:10 AM
Banned

Used for a baby, of course! We only do soft soled (san Diego weather) so they are not shaped really, it doesnt matter. I loved finding a cute pair of robeez at a garage sale for a buck for dd! I got ds one new pair and then he's going to wear dd's hand me downs.

Now dd doesn't wear used shoes, not real shoes. But I just hunt for great cheap flexible shoes for her. They actually exist!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page