CIO research - is there any? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-24-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would like to read more about the short and long-term effects of CIO, or perhaps read a review article on it to start with if one exists. I've heard people here claim there is research showing detrimental effects of CIO. Can anyone here give me any references to these articles?

Just to clarify - I'm looking for articles in peer-reviewed journals.

Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 05-25-2011, 12:20 AM

not exactly what you are looking for, but the references at the bottom may give you a good starting point. it is a very interesting science based parenting website i come across just this week, im sure other folks around here have long known about it.

http://www.parentingscience.com/

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#3 of 5 Old 05-25-2011, 02:04 AM

I think you're going to have a hard time finding much since the basic consensus is that such a study would be unethical. But check out the night time parenting forum here for more resources.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#4 of 5 Old 05-25-2011, 05:02 AM

I don't have time to find the actual study but maybe this article will help you: http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/1998/04.09/ChildrenNeedTou.html

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 5 Old 05-25-2011, 05:05 AM

http://whatmakesyoutick.org/ This guy has a lot to say about CIO and has researched it. The video shows some actual cat scans of brains of babies left to CIO and the difference with a nurtured baby. He has documentaries and presentations about CIO. He is also a psychotherapist (with a master's degree)  He says his goal is to have his 12 min video shown in every delivery room and pedi office to inform parents.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page