Favorite high protein good fat foods? - Mothering Forums
Life With a Baby > Favorite high protein good fat foods?
Buzzer Beater's Avatar Buzzer Beater 01:46 PM 05-26-2011

DD is one now and not interested in eating much... and in the last month she had her first ear infection/cold, and some sort of 3 or 4 day virus with about 24 hours of vomitting and several days of diarrhea. Both of those really seemed to set back her appetite and she hasn't gained any weight for six weeks. I'd like to try adding some more fats to her diet and I'm looking for suggestions. She likes yogurt but won't eat more than a few bites, hates avocado, and won't eat meat so far. Ideas? What does your one year old eat?



fancyoats's Avatar fancyoats 01:53 PM 05-26-2011

what about beans?  hummus? 


Buzzer Beater's Avatar Buzzer Beater 01:59 PM 05-26-2011

Do you have bean recipes your babe likes or just plain? Do you leave spices out of the hummus?


syn_ack89's Avatar syn_ack89 01:59 PM 05-26-2011
Whole chickpeas out of the can
Cottage cheese
Any cheese really
Terrilein's Avatar Terrilein 02:07 PM 05-26-2011

And now for the healthy alternatives: ice cream  and buttery noodles. eat.gif


Amanda_Reyasmom's Avatar Amanda_Reyasmom 02:42 PM 05-26-2011

My girl loves beans.  All beans, refried, black, kidney, baked (oops!).  I don't cut out the spice.  She prefers refried beans with salsa over refried beans without salsa.  Cheese is another really good one.  Eggs? My girl hates them, <--she gets that from her mama! but lots of babies love them.  How about tofu? Smoothies? I'll think on this.  Ohh what about fish? It's an easy meat. 


Amanda_Reyasmom's Avatar Amanda_Reyasmom 03:02 PM 05-26-2011

Nut butters on toast?


Buzzer Beater's Avatar Buzzer Beater 05:20 PM 05-26-2011

She will take a little bit of almond butter on toast, won't eat cheese, fish, or eggs. I haven't tried tofu, or beans much yet. Refries sound like a good idea.

 

I'm not going quite crazy trying to figure out what to get her to eat, but almost. Pears and banana aren't going to put any weight on her. Luckily she still nurses round the clock.

 

What's good in a baby smoothie?


tzs's Avatar tzs 08:02 PM 05-26-2011

i even add fat to fruits for my skinny dd. 

it's easy and delish to coat berries in a balsamic vinagrette made with olive oil

or you can saute bananas, peaches, pineapple.....um....apples in butter and serve warm. also yummy for moms.

 

we do like a thai peanut noodle fairly often which combines her love for pasta with my love of fats and protein from PB and coconut milk (heat PB and coconut milk together and if you were lazy you could even stop there. i add soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vin, cilantro, red chili flakes, lime juice.) maybe you could sneak in some scrambled egg.

 

and then i just try to cook everything for her in EVOO or butter, even if it's not necessary.

it's also pretty easy to add cottage cheese/ricotta to alot of foods. take even pasta, coat w/butter/EVOO, toss with cottage cheese, shredded cheese.

 

do you think she'd eat softer meats like ground beef or even liver pate?

 

and we're big on beans too. refrieds with cheese!


P.J.'s Avatar P.J. 06:09 AM 05-27-2011

I know butter is not really healthy, and we had a thread a long time ago about someone's pedi recommending butter and most people were outraged.

 

 

...but, I recently made a noodle casserole and added way too much butter. It was greasy and kind of gross because of that. But DS LOVED it! I don;t think he'd ever gobbled up food like that before (he's 12mo).

 

Also, he loves cheese and beans, both good sources of protein.


LittleBirdy's Avatar LittleBirdy 07:36 AM 05-27-2011

My DS does not like yogurt or cottage cheese but LOVES goat cheese.  Seems weird as all three taste similar but maybe your LO would lik goat cheese?  I roll it up into little pea-sized balls and plop it onto DS's tongue as he is not really into self-feeding yet.


tzs's Avatar tzs 11:50 AM 05-27-2011


Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post

I know butter is not really healthy, and we had a thread a long time ago about someone's pedi recommending butter and most people were outraged.

 

 

...but, I recently made a noodle casserole and added way too much butter. It was greasy and kind of gross because of that. But DS LOVED it! I don;t think he'd ever gobbled up food like that before (he's 12mo).

 

Also, he loves cheese and beans, both good sources of protein.

 

 

is butter really bad? i thought it was one of those good things. huh....
 

 


Hannah32's Avatar Hannah32 11:56 AM 05-27-2011

Butter is healthy, for babies especially and for everyone in moderation, IMO. Stir it into her pears or bananas. It might taste good. 


trekkingirl's Avatar trekkingirl 05:31 PM 05-27-2011

greek yogurt


MJB's Avatar MJB 02:21 PM 05-28-2011

Bananas actually have more calories per oz. than breastmilk.

Here are some high protein/fat foods my daughter likes:

-meat in any form

-Mac and cheese

-cheese ravioli

-cheese slices

-veggies with butter (esp. peas and carrots)

-tofu

-pesto

-beans


expat-mama's Avatar expat-mama 08:34 AM 05-29-2011

I second the greek yogurt and cheese. Also, if your LO seems to not like some things, keep trying. My DS hated avocados when he first tried them- once, twice, three, times- then a few weeks ago he tried again for the fourth time and gobbled it down!

His recent favourite food is broccoli smothered in melty cheese- you could also put butter on it to make it extra fatty.

 

I also read somewhere online about how to make "food balls" and my DS loves these now too! Basically they are like meat balls but you add all sorts of stuff to them. I have made lamb balls with brown rice, flax seed oil, mashed up carrots and peas, lots of garlic and onions, alfalfa powder and a little curry powder. They were seriously delicious. I made chicken balls too with mashed chick peas, spinach and carrots, garlic and onions, cumin and coriander powder and brown rice- also yummy but not as good as the lamb balls.

I made a whole batch and froze them and I can defrost them in a pinch.

Anyway with the food balls you could make them really heavy with the foods she likes and add in lots of fats and proteins that are masked by the other flavour.

 

 


Terrilein's Avatar Terrilein 12:01 PM 05-29-2011

Those food balls sound really awesome!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View Post

I second the greek yogurt and cheese. Also, if your LO seems to not like some things, keep trying. My DS hated avocados when he first tried them- once, twice, three, times- then a few weeks ago he tried again for the fourth time and gobbled it down!

His recent favourite food is broccoli smothered in melty cheese- you could also put butter on it to make it extra fatty.

 

I also read somewhere online about how to make "food balls" and my DS loves these now too! Basically they are like meat balls but you add all sorts of stuff to them. I have made lamb balls with brown rice, flax seed oil, mashed up carrots and peas, lots of garlic and onions, alfalfa powder and a little curry powder. They were seriously delicious. I made chicken balls too with mashed chick peas, spinach and carrots, garlic and onions, cumin and coriander powder and brown rice- also yummy but not as good as the lamb balls.

I made a whole batch and froze them and I can defrost them in a pinch.

Anyway with the food balls you could make them really heavy with the foods she likes and add in lots of fats and proteins that are masked by the other flavour.

 

 



 


ciga's Avatar ciga 07:09 PM 05-29-2011

adzuki beans with cumin and coriander have been a hit.  little man LOVES that.  Often they have a bit of garlic and onion sauteed in there too.

almond butter and jam sandwiches with hemp seeds. I cut it up into bite size pieces and let him at it.

bananas rolled in hemp seeds

 

those food balls sound like a great idea. I'm going to try that!


Buzzer Beater's Avatar Buzzer Beater 08:06 PM 05-29-2011

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Unfortunately she's not eating anything now except a few bites of yogurt here and there.

I tried black beans, refried beans, lentils, cottage cheese, and noodles with butter which were all new. At least she put them in her mouth, but spit them out every time. I've gone back to her old favorites- yams, banana, almond butter on toast, apple slices, peas. She is not interested in anything at all.

 

Is it unusual for a babe to go off solids completely after an illness? She is down 3/4 of a pound from six weeks ago, and the ped recommended PediaSure (oh yuck) to help with her weight... I won't do that but I am starting to wonder what I can do!

 

How do I get her to eat?


Amanda_Reyasmom's Avatar Amanda_Reyasmom 08:26 PM 05-29-2011

Is she super small to begin with? Is she still nursing? If so I'd be inclined to go slow, offer when you eat and a couple of snacks and not worry. 


Buzzer Beater's Avatar Buzzer Beater 09:14 PM 05-29-2011

She's 17 pounds at one year and still nurses a lot luckily. I'm assuming breastmilk has more calories than most of what I might try to feed her. DD really hasn't had much of an interest in food all along so always been a big nurser... how long is it okay for her to get about 100% of her nutrition from BM? Should I give her any vitamin supplement?


dovey's Avatar dovey 09:55 PM 05-29-2011

I've read that around age 1, it is important for a child to start getting more of their nutrition from solids.  But, even so, I've known kiddos who have had most of their nutrition from BM past that time.  I think the worry is that children can develop an iron deficiency if they only drink BM after a certain time.  Each person is different though, and each person has a different timeline, both developmentally and physiologically.  Maybe you should have her iron levels checked to make sure everything is going smoothly in that department.

 

Some more food ideas......My kids have always been partial to frozen foods, especially while they teethe.  For my first, I would make fruit smoothies, adding to them whatever I wanted him to eat, and then freeze them and cut them into little pieces which I could slip in his mouth.  What if you took the yogurt that she likes and then added to it fattening things like coconut cream (the thick fatty cream skimmed off the top of a can of coconut milk - it has a little iron too), pureed well cooked grains like oats and quinoa, bananas, hard boiled egg yolks, tofu, mangoes and other fruit, etc.  Then you could freeze the yogurt smoothie and cut it up into chunks.  Maybe you could even blend bananas with coconut cream and freeze it, making sort of an ice cream. 

 

I know it's very worrisome when your child is small and doesn't like to eat.  I still struggle with this issue with my 7 year old.  But I try to tell myself that some people are small and some are larger, some people love food, and others don't care about it as much.  Regardless of how much I worry, my child is still going to be who he is, and I can't force him to eat or change it.  I completely understand where you're coming from.  It's hard to be the mama of a reluctant eater!  Best of luck! 


Snapdragon's Avatar Snapdragon 10:01 PM 05-29-2011

 

will she eat baby cereal?


Terrilein's Avatar Terrilein 12:17 AM 05-30-2011

My dd stopped eating solids completely and wouldn't even drink water when she had a stomach virus at around 20 months. She just started nursing around the clock like a newborn to get my milk supply back up. I don't remember when she started picking up solids again, but she wasn't big on solids at that age anyways. Not medical advice, but my opinion: I think as long as your baby is nursing well and isn't dehydrated, I wouldn't worry too much. Keep offering solids, but don't sweat it. Are you still night nursing? If not, consider starting again if you're really worried about weightloss. As for vitamin supplement, YOU are her vitamin supplement, especially once she starts eating more solids. Toddlers are notorious picky eaters.

 

Hope your babe is feeling perky again here soon!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer Beater View Post

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Unfortunately she's not eating anything now except a few bites of yogurt here and there.

I tried black beans, refried beans, lentils, cottage cheese, and noodles with butter which were all new. At least she put them in her mouth, but spit them out every time. I've gone back to her old favorites- yams, banana, almond butter on toast, apple slices, peas. She is not interested in anything at all.

 

Is it unusual for a babe to go off solids completely after an illness? She is down 3/4 of a pound from six weeks ago, and the ped recommended PediaSure (oh yuck) to help with her weight... I won't do that but I am starting to wonder what I can do!

 

How do I get her to eat?



 


Buzzer Beater's Avatar Buzzer Beater 08:59 AM 05-30-2011

Thanks Terrilein, yup she's night nursing every two hours, so not worried about that. I'll just wait it out and try to chill.


mamadiamond's Avatar mamadiamond 09:05 AM 05-30-2011

i add sof/silken tofu to pureed fruit or veggies and dd doesn't notice. my favorite high calorie combo is yams, tofu, and baby oatmeal, with a little breastmilk to mix it up. the yams and bm mask the tofu and cereal. dd is allergic to eggs and dairy, and refuses all meat, so i have to be creative. also, you can mix avacado with banana to hide it. i sometimes do banana, avacado, cereal, and bm mixed together. for dd it is all about having a strong familiar flavor to mask the new flavor. adding bm to the food also really helps get her to eat it.


newmamalizzy's Avatar newmamalizzy 04:25 PM 05-30-2011

I completely sympathize, as DD is 14 months and still barely eats solids, though she finally has a few foods that she will eat in somewhat large quantities.  Strangely enough, I can get her to eat almost anything if I put it in a soup.  Our most recent victory has been with ravioli and pierogies - she won't eat them unless they came from a soup.  I also second the shout-out for butter and olive oil.  I do nice soft broccoli with olive oil, a bit of lemon, and parmesan cheese and DD loves it. 


osker's Avatar osker 12:22 PM 06-02-2011

We just tried coconut with great success.  

Is she eating "regular" food yet, or just the baby ingredients type stuff? By this I mean, does she eat what you eat? Or does she eat little diced up pieces of some things and you attempt to spoon feed her some purees?  It could be that she's ready for more flavors and textures and finds food to be boring and bland.  I would offer her some of what you are eating at every meal (assuming it's healthy), and just let her take her time figuring it out.  As she sees that everyone eats the same food she'll try it or not..  but at least it stops you from being a short order cook who spends the whole meal bouncing around desperately trying to figure out what she'll eat.  There's nothing wrong with nursing a lot and slowly going back to food.


Up