Favorite high protein good fat foods? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 05-26-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD is one now and not interested in eating much... and in the last month she had her first ear infection/cold, and some sort of 3 or 4 day virus with about 24 hours of vomitting and several days of diarrhea. Both of those really seemed to set back her appetite and she hasn't gained any weight for six weeks. I'd like to try adding some more fats to her diet and I'm looking for suggestions. She likes yogurt but won't eat more than a few bites, hates avocado, and won't eat meat so far. Ideas? What does your one year old eat?

#2 of 28 Old 05-26-2011, 12:53 PM

what about beans?  hummus? 

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#3 of 28 Old 05-26-2011, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Do you have bean recipes your babe likes or just plain? Do you leave spices out of the hummus?

#4 of 28 Old 05-26-2011, 12:59 PM

Whole chickpeas out of the can
Cottage cheese
Any cheese really

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
#5 of 28 Old 05-26-2011, 01:07 PM

And now for the healthy alternatives: ice cream  and buttery noodles. eat.gif

LittleBirdy likes this.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#6 of 28 Old 05-26-2011, 01:42 PM

My girl loves beans.  All beans, refried, black, kidney, baked (oops!).  I don't cut out the spice.  She prefers refried beans with salsa over refried beans without salsa.  Cheese is another really good one.  Eggs? My girl hates them, <--she gets that from her mama! but lots of babies love them.  How about tofu? Smoothies? I'll think on this.  Ohh what about fish? It's an easy meat. 

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

#7 of 28 Old 05-26-2011, 02:02 PM

Nut butters on toast?

Amanda

#8 of 28 Old 05-26-2011, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

She will take a little bit of almond butter on toast, won't eat cheese, fish, or eggs. I haven't tried tofu, or beans much yet. Refries sound like a good idea.

I'm not going quite crazy trying to figure out what to get her to eat, but almost. Pears and banana aren't going to put any weight on her. Luckily she still nurses round the clock.

What's good in a baby smoothie?

#9 of 28 Old 05-26-2011, 07:02 PM
tzs

i even add fat to fruits for my skinny dd. 

it's easy and delish to coat berries in a balsamic vinagrette made with olive oil

or you can saute bananas, peaches, pineapple.....um....apples in butter and serve warm. also yummy for moms.

we do like a thai peanut noodle fairly often which combines her love for pasta with my love of fats and protein from PB and coconut milk (heat PB and coconut milk together and if you were lazy you could even stop there. i add soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vin, cilantro, red chili flakes, lime juice.) maybe you could sneak in some scrambled egg.

and then i just try to cook everything for her in EVOO or butter, even if it's not necessary.

it's also pretty easy to add cottage cheese/ricotta to alot of foods. take even pasta, coat w/butter/EVOO, toss with cottage cheese, shredded cheese.

do you think she'd eat softer meats like ground beef or even liver pate?

and we're big on beans too. refrieds with cheese!

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#10 of 28 Old 05-27-2011, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I know butter is not really healthy, and we had a thread a long time ago about someone's pedi recommending butter and most people were outraged.

...but, I recently made a noodle casserole and added way too much butter. It was greasy and kind of gross because of that. But DS LOVED it! I don;t think he'd ever gobbled up food like that before (he's 12mo).

Also, he loves cheese and beans, both good sources of protein.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#11 of 28 Old 05-27-2011, 06:36 AM

My DS does not like yogurt or cottage cheese but LOVES goat cheese.  Seems weird as all three taste similar but maybe your LO would lik goat cheese?  I roll it up into little pea-sized balls and plop it onto DS's tongue as he is not really into self-feeding yet.

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#12 of 28 Old 05-27-2011, 10:50 AM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post

I know butter is not really healthy, and we had a thread a long time ago about someone's pedi recommending butter and most people were outraged.

...but, I recently made a noodle casserole and added way too much butter. It was greasy and kind of gross because of that. But DS LOVED it! I don;t think he'd ever gobbled up food like that before (he's 12mo).

Also, he loves cheese and beans, both good sources of protein.

is butter really bad? i thought it was one of those good things. huh....

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#13 of 28 Old 05-27-2011, 10:56 AM

Butter is healthy, for babies especially and for everyone in moderation, IMO. Stir it into her pears or bananas. It might taste good. 

#14 of 28 Old 05-27-2011, 04:31 PM

greek yogurt

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#15 of 28 Old 05-28-2011, 01:21 PM
MJB

Bananas actually have more calories per oz. than breastmilk.

Here are some high protein/fat foods my daughter likes:

-meat in any form

-Mac and cheese

-cheese ravioli

-cheese slices

-veggies with butter (esp. peas and carrots)

-tofu

-pesto

-beans

#16 of 28 Old 05-29-2011, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I second the greek yogurt and cheese. Also, if your LO seems to not like some things, keep trying. My DS hated avocados when he first tried them- once, twice, three, times- then a few weeks ago he tried again for the fourth time and gobbled it down!

His recent favourite food is broccoli smothered in melty cheese- you could also put butter on it to make it extra fatty.

I also read somewhere online about how to make "food balls" and my DS loves these now too! Basically they are like meat balls but you add all sorts of stuff to them. I have made lamb balls with brown rice, flax seed oil, mashed up carrots and peas, lots of garlic and onions, alfalfa powder and a little curry powder. They were seriously delicious. I made chicken balls too with mashed chick peas, spinach and carrots, garlic and onions, cumin and coriander powder and brown rice- also yummy but not as good as the lamb balls.

I made a whole batch and froze them and I can defrost them in a pinch.

Anyway with the food balls you could make them really heavy with the foods she likes and add in lots of fats and proteins that are masked by the other flavour.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#17 of 28 Old 05-29-2011, 11:01 AM

Those food balls sound really awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View Post

I second the greek yogurt and cheese. Also, if your LO seems to not like some things, keep trying. My DS hated avocados when he first tried them- once, twice, three, times- then a few weeks ago he tried again for the fourth time and gobbled it down!

His recent favourite food is broccoli smothered in melty cheese- you could also put butter on it to make it extra fatty.

I also read somewhere online about how to make "food balls" and my DS loves these now too! Basically they are like meat balls but you add all sorts of stuff to them. I have made lamb balls with brown rice, flax seed oil, mashed up carrots and peas, lots of garlic and onions, alfalfa powder and a little curry powder. They were seriously delicious. I made chicken balls too with mashed chick peas, spinach and carrots, garlic and onions, cumin and coriander powder and brown rice- also yummy but not as good as the lamb balls.

I made a whole batch and froze them and I can defrost them in a pinch.

Anyway with the food balls you could make them really heavy with the foods she likes and add in lots of fats and proteins that are masked by the other flavour.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#18 of 28 Old 05-29-2011, 06:09 PM

adzuki beans with cumin and coriander have been a hit.  little man LOVES that.  Often they have a bit of garlic and onion sauteed in there too.

almond butter and jam sandwiches with hemp seeds. I cut it up into bite size pieces and let him at it.

bananas rolled in hemp seeds

those food balls sound like a great idea. I'm going to try that!

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#19 of 28 Old 05-29-2011, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Unfortunately she's not eating anything now except a few bites of yogurt here and there.

I tried black beans, refried beans, lentils, cottage cheese, and noodles with butter which were all new. At least she put them in her mouth, but spit them out every time. I've gone back to her old favorites- yams, banana, almond butter on toast, apple slices, peas. She is not interested in anything at all.

Is it unusual for a babe to go off solids completely after an illness? She is down 3/4 of a pound from six weeks ago, and the ped recommended PediaSure (oh yuck) to help with her weight... I won't do that but I am starting to wonder what I can do!

How do I get her to eat?

#20 of 28 Old 05-29-2011, 07:26 PM

Is she super small to begin with? Is she still nursing? If so I'd be inclined to go slow, offer when you eat and a couple of snacks and not worry. 

Amanda

#21 of 28 Old 05-29-2011, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

She's 17 pounds at one year and still nurses a lot luckily. I'm assuming breastmilk has more calories than most of what I might try to feed her. DD really hasn't had much of an interest in food all along so always been a big nurser... how long is it okay for her to get about 100% of her nutrition from BM? Should I give her any vitamin supplement?

#22 of 28 Old 05-29-2011, 08:55 PM

I've read that around age 1, it is important for a child to start getting more of their nutrition from solids.  But, even so, I've known kiddos who have had most of their nutrition from BM past that time.  I think the worry is that children can develop an iron deficiency if they only drink BM after a certain time.  Each person is different though, and each person has a different timeline, both developmentally and physiologically.  Maybe you should have her iron levels checked to make sure everything is going smoothly in that department.

Some more food ideas......My kids have always been partial to frozen foods, especially while they teethe.  For my first, I would make fruit smoothies, adding to them whatever I wanted him to eat, and then freeze them and cut them into little pieces which I could slip in his mouth.  What if you took the yogurt that she likes and then added to it fattening things like coconut cream (the thick fatty cream skimmed off the top of a can of coconut milk - it has a little iron too), pureed well cooked grains like oats and quinoa, bananas, hard boiled egg yolks, tofu, mangoes and other fruit, etc.  Then you could freeze the yogurt smoothie and cut it up into chunks.  Maybe you could even blend bananas with coconut cream and freeze it, making sort of an ice cream. 

I know it's very worrisome when your child is small and doesn't like to eat.  I still struggle with this issue with my 7 year old.  But I try to tell myself that some people are small and some are larger, some people love food, and others don't care about it as much.  Regardless of how much I worry, my child is still going to be who he is, and I can't force him to eat or change it.  I completely understand where you're coming from.  It's hard to be the mama of a reluctant eater!  Best of luck! 

#23 of 28 Old 05-29-2011, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

will she eat baby cereal?

#24 of 28 Old 05-29-2011, 11:17 PM

My dd stopped eating solids completely and wouldn't even drink water when she had a stomach virus at around 20 months. She just started nursing around the clock like a newborn to get my milk supply back up. I don't remember when she started picking up solids again, but she wasn't big on solids at that age anyways. Not medical advice, but my opinion: I think as long as your baby is nursing well and isn't dehydrated, I wouldn't worry too much. Keep offering solids, but don't sweat it. Are you still night nursing? If not, consider starting again if you're really worried about weightloss. As for vitamin supplement, YOU are her vitamin supplement, especially once she starts eating more solids. Toddlers are notorious picky eaters.

Hope your babe is feeling perky again here soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer Beater View Post

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Unfortunately she's not eating anything now except a few bites of yogurt here and there.

I tried black beans, refried beans, lentils, cottage cheese, and noodles with butter which were all new. At least she put them in her mouth, but spit them out every time. I've gone back to her old favorites- yams, banana, almond butter on toast, apple slices, peas. She is not interested in anything at all.

Is it unusual for a babe to go off solids completely after an illness? She is down 3/4 of a pound from six weeks ago, and the ped recommended PediaSure (oh yuck) to help with her weight... I won't do that but I am starting to wonder what I can do!

How do I get her to eat?

Amanda_Reyasmom likes this.

#25 of 28 Old 05-30-2011, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Terrilein, yup she's night nursing every two hours, so not worried about that. I'll just wait it out and try to chill.

#26 of 28 Old 05-30-2011, 08:05 AM

i add sof/silken tofu to pureed fruit or veggies and dd doesn't notice. my favorite high calorie combo is yams, tofu, and baby oatmeal, with a little breastmilk to mix it up. the yams and bm mask the tofu and cereal. dd is allergic to eggs and dairy, and refuses all meat, so i have to be creative. also, you can mix avacado with banana to hide it. i sometimes do banana, avacado, cereal, and bm mixed together. for dd it is all about having a strong familiar flavor to mask the new flavor. adding bm to the food also really helps get her to eat it.

betsy:  wife to tony, mama to haven (7/6/10), arlo (m/c 1/21/12), and expecting valencia in late december.

"we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams" - arthur o'shaunessy

"if there is no dancing then it is not my revolution" - emma goldman

#27 of 28 Old 05-30-2011, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I completely sympathize, as DD is 14 months and still barely eats solids, though she finally has a few foods that she will eat in somewhat large quantities.  Strangely enough, I can get her to eat almost anything if I put it in a soup.  Our most recent victory has been with ravioli and pierogies - she won't eat them unless they came from a soup.  I also second the shout-out for butter and olive oil.  I do nice soft broccoli with olive oil, a bit of lemon, and parmesan cheese and DD loves it. 

#28 of 28 Old 06-02-2011, 11:22 AM

We just tried coconut with great success.  

Is she eating "regular" food yet, or just the baby ingredients type stuff? By this I mean, does she eat what you eat? Or does she eat little diced up pieces of some things and you attempt to spoon feed her some purees?  It could be that she's ready for more flavors and textures and finds food to be boring and bland.  I would offer her some of what you are eating at every meal (assuming it's healthy), and just let her take her time figuring it out.  As she sees that everyone eats the same food she'll try it or not..  but at least it stops you from being a short order cook who spends the whole meal bouncing around desperately trying to figure out what she'll eat.  There's nothing wrong with nursing a lot and slowly going back to food.

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page