*~*<JULY '10 BABES- May/June Chat!> *~* - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2011, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by expat-mama View Post

I have tried to access the askmoxie website before- for some reason it's BLOCKED here! I have no idea why. I live in a country where lots of things on the internet are blocked... and that's all I'll say about that. eyesroll.gifcensored.gif I'll check it out when I get back to Canada in a couple of weeks.

OMG I would have gone insane without Moxie.  I would have PMed you her post but it's not her post so much that's awesome (though it's very good) it's the 159 commenters who stepped up and said THEIR 12 month olds didn't STTN either.  Even some who did CIO.  When you get to Canada, pour yourself a nice cup of coffee and sift through the archives... awesomeness. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeckedyPeg View Post

Co-sleeping mamas: you might find this funny! http://www.amberdusick.com/woodmouse_loves_crafts/2011/06/what-it-is-like-to-not-sleep-at-night-illustrated-with-crappy-pictures.html

ROTFLMAO.gif.... that is so us!!

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 04:27 AM

ROTFLMAO.gifyup, that's us, too!

And Fritz is practically walking. He still crawls more than he walks, though. And he started getting very verbal, but no words yet. However, he did start immitating the cats' meows yesterday. We have nicknamed him Babyzilla and he really roars like a monster and he loves doing it, too. Here he is laying Tokyo to waste.

IMG_0877.JPG

And here's a cheapo pic from the mall:

415_A09_Lindhurst_13.JPG

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

Old 06-23-2011, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh my, Fritz is sooo big and sweet! Do you always put him in shoes when you go out?

I need to get DS some shoes I think...he loves to practice walking holding on to our fingers and he never even wears socks usually. Actually the last time I had him in socks he did not like them very much. I think he's not used to them. I should probably get him used to wearing socks again and then shoes. I have no idea what kind of shoes are good for first walkers. Hmm...another thing to research obsessively. Ha.

Funny so many of us are getting ready to hop on the nightweaning train. It would have never crossed my mind 6 months ago, honestly. I'm so tired of being tired these days though, it's not even a question for us anymore. I think for me it's just that i've been exhausted for soooo long, so many nights in a row of terrible sleep. It's like a cumulative effect. I would seriously pay thousands of dollars for a miracle "cure" that would safely get DS happily sleeping through the night. THOUSANDS, people! Some bright capitalist out there needs to look into this because it is big business. I've already sunk money into sleep books and white noise etc. If there were a guaranteed solution out there...wow, what I would give.

Anyway, I wanted to add that I didn't mean to bring into our thread any of the kind of discussion or drama that's been going on elsewhere- when I said how some on MDC would look down on nightweaning at a young age and how I didn't find much support on the breastfeeding forum. I think it just carried over by accident because I've been poring over those threads with some interest while not really putting my own voice into them much. It is quite a whirlwind around here on MDC, but I feel like our DDC/July Babe's thread is nicely removed from that and I don't want to drag it down. So I apologize for that.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

Old 06-24-2011, 02:54 AM

Yeah, I put shoes on Fritz when we go out. At home he's mostly barefoot. If it chills off too much then I'll put some socks on him. He just wears you basic soft leather footie thing - the ones he's wearing in that pic are from Robeez. I think they're pretty awesome as they're totally flexible and protect some against cold, moisture and wind. I'm not going to get him real shoes until fall/winter when he's walking really well and when the weather becomes really disagreeable.

As for the nightweaning, I really wouldn't sweat it. Just stay true to your AP spirit.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

Old 06-24-2011, 07:01 AM

Wow, Fritz looks like a big boy, and I by big I mean mature, like a two year old! Raymey looks like an infant compared to him, probably because of the baldness. I don't think he'll have any hair until closer to two years old just like his sister. :) 

Raymond's getting some shoes for his birthday this weekend, the soft leathery ones that Terrilein mentioned. I agree with waiting until they are pretty solid walkers before getting more structured shoes. 

N, I know what you mean about the drama around here. I recently read the thread "You know you're crunch if...". It stared off fine but progressed into full-on bitch-slappingness (yes, that is a word!). Wow. Although it was an interesting read, and everyone made some good points. Check it out if you need a bit of an adrenalin kick. And I don't think you've dragged anything down :) I love your posts. I saw you come over to the "early night weaning" thread :) Too bad there aren't very many responses. Perhaps I should post it in the breastfeeding area instead of "life with a babe"? 

HeckedyPeg, LOL about the link. Love it! And my DS knows the "warning tone" too, haha, except our sounds like the one that Kramer makes (from Seinfeld), like a machine-gun "a-a-a-a-a-a!!!". DS knows that when he gets close to the compost bin under the kitchen sink, we'll make the sound and he stops and backs away. I love this age. They're finally becoming more human! I'm not crazy about the first year, especially the newborn stage, but from 12 months and on, that's my favourite time. Especially around 18 months. So much fun. If only I could go through labour and birth, skip the first year, and go straight to the second year, I'd have a busload of kids. :D 

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 AM

Yes, he seems much older than he actually is. At the moment I'm going even grayer than I used to be since he's climbing on everything, eating cat litter and rearranging all our furniture. faint.gif

Old 06-26-2011, 01:06 PM

Wow, and now he's really walking. Not just getting from A to B anymore but really preferring to walk. *sniff* Not a baby anymore. happytears.gif

Old 06-27-2011, 09:07 AM
MJB

Edie pretty much walks everywhere and is barefoot most of the time. I keep a pair of soft soled shoes in the diaper bag in case the ground is hot, and put her in them when she needs to look fancy, but that's it. I might get her a pair of Livie and Luca shoes once it is cold because they are super cute, but Target soft soles work just fine too. 

Old 06-28-2011, 02:01 AM

It seems like everyone is so busy with summer now and has no time to post anymore. I was wondering how many of you are moving to the toddler forum already? I've been reading there occasionally, but a lot of those issues don't affect us yet. I mean, ds just isn't a baby anymore. We still have sleep issues, but we're are so far out of the typical baby topics now. Anyone else? How about a thread of our own in the toddler forum?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wow...walking, talking amazing babies! Yah...maybe not babies so much anymore! I do go to the toddler forum but you're right Terri a lot of the toddler stuff isn't for us and a lot of the baby stuff isn't for us either. Ours are like baby tweens...or something.

DS is not walking yet on land, in the baby pool he walks all around with very, very little support occasionally holding on to floaty things. I guess the water props him up- I think it's really good practice for him as he is so confident in the water. I was hoping he'd be walking by his birthday party on July 16th because a friend of mine has a little girl who just loves to chase other babies around but I don't think he'll do it before then.

We are getting ready for our big translatlantic voyage (maybe some of you saw my huge "14 hrs on a plane" thread) on Friday. I'm as prepared as I'll get, just want to get the flight over with really. After that I may not be frequenting the forums so much since we'll be on holiday.

DS has been sleeping soooooooooo much better lately. He has been sleeping from 7-11 straight pretty consistently sometimes with a slight waking but we just turn his music back on and he goes back to sleep. Then he has been having JUST 2-3 wakings for the rest of the night AND on two occasions actually slept till 6 am instead of 5 am as usual. We are so ecstatic about it...maybe it really just takes time! Who knows, I just hope it doesn't all come crashing down with the time change and jet lag we'll be enduring in the next week. Ugh.

Anyway, I'll probably check back in here again before we leave but if not I'm wishing all the July babes a happy birthday!

birthday.gif     blowkiss.gifflowersforyou.gif   joy.gifpartytime.gif   banana.gif

We made it through a year mamas...it's been so wonderful and difficult and I'd do it all again in an instant. Glad to have you all here to share the moments and milestones. love.gif

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

Old 06-28-2011, 11:41 PM

Safe travels expat!  Glad to hear the sleep is getting better, I hope it continues on your trip.

M is not walking yet either, but getting more confident with standing and cruising.

We started swim classes last week... he loves the water but we're still dealing with stranger anxiety so it's a little challenging.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 06-29-2011, 02:06 PM

Baby tweens! HAHA, I love it. It's funny, they are totally stuck in an in-between phase now, but I was kindly reminded yesterday by a friend that they are still babies until they can walk by themselves in parking lots. Apparently, that's the official milestone of toddlerhood.  Haha, DS still has a very long way to go to get to that stage! Although some of the babies here are zooming around on their own now, which I can't wait for! I can't even imagine DS walking independently now, and he turned 1 on Monday. But then again, both my kids are pretty mediocre in terms of development (haha I can say that because I'm their mother). winky.gif

Anyway, have a great trip expat (back to Canada, right? WELCOME BACK!). And happy birthday to the July babies! I can't wait to see how will be pregnant again soon (these "toddlers" need (more) siblings, people!).   

Old 06-29-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpeace View Post

Baby tweens! HAHA, I love it. It's funny, they are totally stuck in an in-between phase now, but I was kindly reminded yesterday by a friend that they are still babies until they can walk by themselves in parking lots. Apparently, that's the official milestone of toddlerhood.

Walking by themselves in parking lots? Do you mean, simply being able to maneuver around cars, carts and other people or actually checking to see if it's safe to move forward without adult supervision? Anyhow, mine is trying hard to run.  But sofar he's only figured out how to walk fast enough that he almost falls over and then still manage to get his feet going. It's really breathtaking. If I weren't gray already, I'd being turning so soon.dizzy.gif

Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 PM
MJB

Yeah, what does walk by themselves in parking lots mean? Edie walks in parking lots but I have to hold her hand or she'd get run over!

Old 06-29-2011, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

We just came back from our 12 month WBV (DS's birthday is on Tuesday). It was an awesome visit, I'm so happy to see that he's 20lbs and gained 2lbs since his last WBV when they were a little worried about his eating and weight. Now no one is worried about my little peanut! He's just a peanut.

Daniel is still not walking, he loves to cruise and crawl. He's a great sleeper so I don't have anything to complain about in that department. He's starting to be quite willful and throwing temper tantrums, which is really hard to deal with. He get's purple from crying so hard at the gate! It's so sad! I'm not totally sure what to do about them. I've definitely noticed they're worse when he doesn't get enough sleep.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Old 06-30-2011, 07:38 AM

Haha, I think the person who said the parking lot thing was quasi-joking. She meant it in a "awww, they're not babies anymore! I don't have to carry them from the car to the store, I can take them out of the car seat and set them down standing on the ground and walk them across the parking lot" sort of way. Definitely holding hands (which I still do with my almost 5yo because drivers can't really see her she's so short)! So Terrilein and MJB, I think your babies are officially toddlers winky.gif joy.gif

SeattleRain, I totally hear you about the tantrums. It's amazing how strong DS is when he wants something. He tenses up and throws himself back and screams and kicks. Turns into a little spawn of satan in a matter of seconds! I've never dealt with that either (DD never threw a tantrum in her life!), so I'm at a loss. People have advised that you just keep them safe (put them down on the floor where they can thrash all they want) and let the tantrum pass. Trying to stop it or trying to hold them still won't work, as it seems DS doesn't want to be confined at that time. And whatever you do, don't give in to what they want, or in other words, be consistent. It's a phase (hopefully!). I don't know, it's all new to me, but that seems to make sense. banghead.gif

Old 07-03-2011, 02:50 AM

Yeah, we're getting temper tantrums over here, too, but they're - sofar - very short lived and ususally kinda funny, acutally. Of course, I'm sympathetic to his plight, but I can't help but smile at my baby growing up and having his first tantrums!

Anyhow, I finally got AF today, 11.5 months postpartum. I'm kinda sad since I didn't miss her at all. But I also am grateful that I got such a long reprieve this time. Time to break out the diva cup and mama pads!

Old 07-03-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post

Yeah, we're getting temper tantrums over here, too, but they're - sofar - very short lived and ususally kinda funny, acutally. Of course, I'm sympathetic to his plight, but I can't help but smile at my baby growing up and having his first tantrums!

Anyhow, I finally got AF today, 11.5 months postpartum. I'm kinda sad since I didn't miss her at all. But I also am grateful that I got such a long reprieve this time. Time to break out the diva cup and mama pads!

LOL! I could have written your post, Terrilein. I have to hide my smile when DS does his tantrums too. It's sort of amusing, in an annoying kind of way, to see this little creature becoming so human, and so different from his big sister. And in the AF department, I feel the same way! Got mine at 11 months PP (compared to 14 after DD), and felt a mixture of "UGH! Here were go again!" and "Yay for Diva and pretty cloth pads!". 

Old 07-11-2011, 10:21 AM

I went ahead and started a thread in the toddler forum for us. Come join us when realization hits you that you haven't got a baby anymore. love.gif

Old 07-11-2011, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:

biggrinbounce.gifROTFLMAO.gifjumpers.gif

I haven't finished catching up yet, but that totally made me LOL LOL LOL

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
Old 07-11-2011, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I'll be in the toddler forum eventually, I suppose, but A is the youngest of our DDC I think.  He started crawling all the time just a few weeks ago and now he's "off n running" er.... crawling.  EVERYWHERE.  And he loves stairs, is just figuring out how to get down.  Discovered the 'tupperware' cabinet a couple weeks ago.  I will put everything back as many times as it takes if it will keep him occupied for a good amount of time!  He has 8 teeth, but doesn't really care one way or the other about food.  Still nurses often.  I'm trying to get at least 4 hours between nursings at night.  Last night I think he nursed every hour, not joking.  Lots of mama and dada, but I'm not fully convinced that he's talking to us.  The newest 'word' is neigh neigh neigh lol.  He definitely knows 'no', that tone, and 'a a a a a...' and has had tantrums already!  We recently introduced a very soft blow up ball, about half the size of a beach ball and he LOVES that.  Especially when we bounce it lightly on his head LOL 

We moved to Nevada and I feel like he should probably experience a swimming pool soon, huh?  But I'm terrified of having him near that much water.  I also feel like we're lacking in entertaining him.  He doesn't sit still enough to be read to.  I hope I can get him into books at some point!  We don't really have much in the way of toys either, need to check out the resale stores and see if there's anything fun there.

Here's a somewhat recent pic :)

IMAG0077.jpg

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).

User Tag List