I dropped my 2 month old! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-31-2011, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know what happened exactly.  We were walking in our friend's backyard, I stopped and turned to my toddler, and the carseat just fell off my arm!

It only dropped from waist level, and the baby was buckled in, and it did drop onto grass and soft dirt, but could she have gotten hurt?

She cried, I nursed her, she calmed down.  She cried after that and had a REALLY hard time getting to sleep, but once we went inside and out of the sun she was fine.  She's seemed fine since then (this happened this afternoon - it's evening now) but what do I look for?  

If carseats are supposed to be replaced after a fender bender, should I just get her a convertible carseat now instead of waiting a few months?

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#2 of 4 Old 06-01-2011, 08:12 AM

i bet that was so scary for both you and baby. i'm sure your lo is fine. carseats are made to withstand car crashes, so it should definitely protect from such a short drop onto a soft surface. i wouldn't get rid of the carseat. you could always check the manufacturer's website, or call their hotline just to be sure, but i'm sure you're fine.

betsy:  wife to tony, mama to haven (7/6/10), arlo (m/c 1/21/12), and expecting valencia in late december.

"we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams" - arthur o'shaunessy

"if there is no dancing then it is not my revolution" - emma goldman

#3 of 4 Old 06-01-2011, 11:42 AM

I'm so sorry, that sounds scary! That's my big fear whenever I carry her around in the carseat. DH reminded me they are meant to withstand impact. I'm sure she's fine, just shaken up a bit--but would it put your mind at ease to have her checked out? hug.gif

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#4 of 4 Old 06-01-2011, 04:07 PM

I think the rule of thumb is that if the crash is sufficient to trigger the airbags, the carseat should be replaced. I very much doubt that a fall of only two feet would be enough to damage the carseat.  Don't beat yourself up, these things happen from time to time.  There are a few GREAT threads in this forum where everyone confesses the awful things that happened to their kids while they were on duty. It's cathartic for the one confessing, and both funny and reassuring for the reader. 

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page