Insect repellent for baby w/ eczema? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2011, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We live in a nice, hot, humid area, and the mosquitos are officially out and biting! I am a mosquito magnet, and I have to put on some pretty strong stuff to keep the little beasties away when I am out working in the garden or walking the dog. But I don't know what to use on my 7 month old DS (with eczema) to keep them from biting him. I can almost guarantee that if he gets a mosquito bite it will swell up and be extremely irritating to him, since I get quarter sized welts from them myself, and my skin is not nearly as sensitive as his. I am not opposed to using something with chemicals, if it means it will keep the bugs away...but I am concerned about making his eczema worse. Any suggestions?

Wife to my best friend partners.gif (8-7-04) and mama to my sweet Josiah James baby.gif (10-30-10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Not sure what is safe to use with eczema but we are looking into purchasing California baby bug repellent when we head out for our camping trip next week. 

Also, check out this awesome site for a list of other "safe" bug repellents for children:http://safemama.com/2008/07/07/safemama-report-safer-bug-repellents/

:)

Cloth diapering, Babywearing, Breastfeeding first time mama! Our bundle of joy was born June 15, 2010
Old 06-05-2011, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link! I will have to look into some of those, just not the ones with soybean oil, since I think he may be sensitive/allergic to soy. I thought about trying CB's bug repellent, but I've had mixed results with their products. Their diaper cream works fine for DS, but the Calendula Cream made his eczema worse, which is the opposite of what it is supposed to do. I am not sure what ingredients he will react to yet, so right now it's just alot of trial and error, I guess.

Wife to my best friend partners.gif (8-7-04) and mama to my sweet Josiah James baby.gif (10-30-10)
Old 06-06-2011, 08:13 AM

I was just about to post this question. Thank you! Mosquitos love me. I was very worried about DD, but didn't want to slather her in chemicals.  

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

Old 06-18-2011, 03:22 AM

I LOVE the OFF clip on fans. I get attacked by mosquitos and this works for me, and you can just set it near baby and it keeps them away. Plus, no chemicals on the baby or you. Walgreens has a dollar off coupon  this week and if you buy 1 there is a coupon in it for more.

We have like, 6 of them so when we have friends over everyone can have one.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:49 PM

We use CJs bug banisher http://www.cjsuniqueboutique.com/?p=2265 - none of my sensitive kids have had a negative reaction

User Tag List