What is "Toddler Formula"? X-posted in Toddlers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-05-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

My 11 month old is exclusively formula-fed due to the fact that I was unable to breastfeed after my reduction. Because he's almost 1, I'm starting to think about what kind of "milk" I'm going to feed him once he reaches that magical age where he no longer needs those little yellow Enfamil boxes anymore. I had always thought I would go directly to organic cow's milk because it's a whole food, but then I got to thinking about what I would do if I breastfed. Of course I wouldn't switch him to all cow's milk, I'd still be breastfeeding, so then maybe I should still be using a milk substitute (i.e. formula)? So lucky me, Enfamil just sent me some samples of their "Enfagrow" toddler formula in anticipation of his first birthday, obviously to keep me using formula. So what is this stuff? Is it basically regular formula? Is there any advantage to using this over regular cow's milk?

My son is fairly petite, but he's a decent eater with a varied range of tastes. On a good day he eats three decent sized meals a day with a mix of meat and protein and veggies, so I'm not totally worried about his nutrition. At this point he only gets 4X6oz bottles a day of formula, when he wakes up and before each nap and before bed.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#2 of 6 Old 06-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Enfamil Infant ingredients, per Amazon:

"NONFAT MILK, LACTOSE, VEGETABLE OIL (PALM OLEIN, SOY, COCONUT, AND HIGH OLEIC SUNFLOWER OILS), WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, GALACTOOLIGOSACCHARIDES*, POLYDEXTROSE, AND LESS THAN 1%: MORTIERELLA ALPINA OIL**, CRYPTHECODINIUM COHNII OIL++, CALCIUM CARBONATE, POTASSIUM CITRATE, FERROUS SULFATE, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, ZINC SULFATE, CUPRIC SULFATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, SODIUM SELENITE, SOY LECITHIN, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, ASCORBIC ACID, NIACINAMIDE, CALCIUM PANTHOTHENATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN D3, RIBOFLAVIN, THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE, VITAMIN B6, HYDROCHLORIDE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN K1, BIOTIN INOSITOL, VITAMIN E ACETATE, NUCLEOTIDES (CYTIDINE 5'-MONOPHOSPHATE, DISODIUM GUANOSINE 5'-MONOPHOSPHATE), TAURINE, L-CARNITINE."

Enfagrow Toddler ingredients, per Amazon:

"Nonfat Milk, Vegetable Oil (Palm Olein, Soy, Coconut, And High Oleic Sunflower Oils), Corn Syrup Solids, Lactose, Calcium Phosphate, And Less Than 1%: Mortierella Alpina Oil [A Source Of Arachidonic Acid (Ara)], Crypthecodinium Cohini Oil [A Source Of Docosahexaenoic Acid (Dha)], Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E Acetate, Vitamin K1, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6 Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12, Niacinamide, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Ascorbic Acid, Choline Chloride, Inositol, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Cupric Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Chloride, Potassium Hydroxide, Taurine, L-Carnitine."

It seems to me that it's largely the same, except Toddler has corn syrup added, which is a red flag for me, and whey protein removed?

My son is adopted, and we use Enfamil Infant right now, because it is sugar and corn-syrup free.  However, not every family is focused on those factors, so you may feel differently.  Thank you for bringing this up, I hadn't considered what we will do in the next "stage."

#3 of 6 Old 06-05-2011, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I definitely do try to stay away from corn syrup and sugar for Daniel. I also try to keep him away from processed foods, so obviously I want him off of formula ASAP. I think I'm going to go with the organic milk. I just feel more comfortable giving him a whole food like milk than a processed food like formula. I'll give him a supplement like this: http://naturesonedirect.com/dhaarafaacsu.html so that he can get the DHA/ARA and hope for the best I guess.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#4 of 6 Old 06-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Banned

We may end up going that route, too.  It all depends.  Right now we have a friend with a breastmilk surplus she is willing to donate, so we supplement with that, but who knows how long that will last?

#5 of 6 Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 PM

Oh hey, you found a supplement! I was just over in Toddlers telling you I didn't know what was available. lol.gif 

#6 of 6 Old 06-06-2011, 05:23 AM

Please feel free to join the existing thread here.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page