Newborn needs to have my nipple in her mouth 24/7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-18-2011, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD is less than 24 hours old and I'm already going a little loopy. I went into labour before bed last night so I haven't slept in what, 36? 48 hours? (I'm too tired to do the math! winky.gif)

This little girl needs to have my boob in her mouth 100% of the time or she's wailing. It's driving me up the wall. I can't sleep at all even though I'm deliriously tired.

Would it be ridiculously way too early to try introducing a paci within the next few days?? DD1 never had a paci (we never even offered one because she was she perfectly content without) so I'm completely clueless.

I've heard it's best to hold off until the baby is a few weeks old and BFing is well-established, but if her first day is anything to go by then I'm not sure I can last that long.

Any advice much appreciated!!

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#2 of 9 Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 PM

Congratulations on your new baby!

Honestly?  My DS cluster fed for the first 2 days of his life.  I had about 4 hours of sleep in about a 72 hour period.  I know it's rough.  Take it as a good sign, that she's latching on. You could be one of those moms (like my BFF) who's baby won't latch, and that would be a worse struggle!

Your milk will come in soon and she'll nurse less.  If it were me I would most definitely hold off on the paci for at least a few weeks!  Chances are DD is trying to get colostrum, not nurse for the sake of a paci.

My DS is still a total boob boy.  He took a bottle with BM from 3 weeks until he was 3 mos, and has refused ever since.  He took a paci from about 4 weeks until 4 mos (when he started teething) but never loved it.  Even now, a nipple in the mouth is instantly calming and soothing for him!

Good luck!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#3 of 9 Old 06-19-2011, 04:44 AM

Congratulations!  My DD2 was the same way.  I think she was latched on for 8 solid hours on her second day of life.  Have you tried letting babe suck on your pinky finger to give your nipples a bit of a rest?

It does get better.  For us, it got loads better once my milk actually came in on day 3-4.  Then DD could actually be satisfied by a normal nursing session, instead of being constantly latched on.  But those first couple of days were rough.  Hang in there and stock up on lanolin and those soothies gel pad thingies.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#4 of 9 Old 06-19-2011, 05:12 AM

Congrats! My daughter was the same way. Still is, and she's two! I will admit that I went against the common advice and gave her a paci for a couple of hours so I could sleep a little. Not all the time, but to get a little sleep. She had such a drive that it didn't hurt things. Actually, if you birth in the hospital now they suggest pacifers while babies are sleeping to help prevent SIDS. It helps to keep them from sleeping to deeply. (As was explained to me...take it as you will). I think giving them a pacifier when you are so tired, and just need a rest is not a bad idea. Lots of pacifiers out there are designed to be shaped like the nipple now too. Babies chew on their hands though or mom's finger, and that doesn't cause confusion. I think giving a paci and a bottle when starting out are two different things though.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#5 of 9 Old 06-21-2011, 07:34 AM

Mine is 3 1/2 weeks and is still like that. She will take my little finger sometimes, but she has to have something in her mouth constantly! Otherwise she cries and cries. She's eating well and gaining well, so I wouldn't think she's hungry all the time. I'm just waiting for her to find her fingers, we don't do pacifiers as the dogs tend to snatch them up when dropped. Gets expensive. :)

#6 of 9 Old 06-21-2011, 01:14 PM

both of mine had periods like that in the beginning. my advice would be to nurse laying down and dose off that way. I wouldn't intro a paci just yet, at least not for long periods of time

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#7 of 9 Old 06-21-2011, 09:55 PM

Thanks for this thread! My DD is 36 hours old and wants my boob ALL the time.  I haven't had a nights sleep in 3 days....I think the longest "nap" I've had was an hour.  She was up ALL screaming if my boob wasn't in her mouth.  I can't sleep with her attached, she won't take a pacifier.  I gave her a few mls of formula from a tiny cup so hubby can hold her just so I can rest or I WILL go crazy.  I have a 19 month old too so can't be feeding every 20-30min day and night.  Hoping when my milk comes in it's better.  I have to be able to take care of my son too.

#8 of 9 Old 06-22-2011, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

You were right - it has gotten better since my milk came in. She still goes through long periods (I'm talking several hours) of needing to be latched on, but then she'll eventually fill up and give me a break for a while too. It's bearable now so I'm holding off with the paci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrieberry17 View Post

Thanks for this thread! My DD is 36 hours old and wants my boob ALL the time.  I haven't had a nights sleep in 3 days....I think the longest "nap" I've had was an hour.  She was up ALL screaming if my boob wasn't in her mouth.  I can't sleep with her attached, she won't take a pacifier.  I gave her a few mls of formula from a tiny cup so hubby can hold her just so I can rest or I WILL go crazy.  I have a 19 month old too so can't be feeding every 20-30min day and night.  Hoping when my milk comes in it's better.  I have to be able to take care of my son too.

Hugs to you!! Hang in there and things will probably better by day 4 or 5.

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#9 of 9 Old 06-25-2011, 03:27 PM

So glad I found this thread.  Mine is 2 1/2 weeks and wants to nurse constantly even when she can't possibly be hungry.  She is peeing and pooping every hour so I know she is gettting fed.  She will over eat to the point she spits up from overflow.  Then after 4 or 5 hours of this, she will take a 30 minute or an hour nap at best.  She gets about 2 of those a day, otherwise she just sleeps at the boob until I take her off out of nessesity needing to pee or whatever, then she wakes within 2 minutes wanting to nurse again.

I just need a break sometimes.  If she would take a paci (and I have tried!  All kinds sizes, etc) Id give it to her just to maintain some sanity and be able to shower but she only wants the boob. They save several bottles that mimic the breast why cant they make a paci, haha.  I guess in theory its cool but then again, I wouldn't want some fake device being so close to what she can only get from me, sanity be darned, haha.  I just keep telling myself this will pass.  Ugh, but when???  I had to let her cry just to fix lunch for the other kiddos yesterday and she got so worked up in just 5-10 minutes that when I picked her up from her swing, she was soaked with sweat beading from her head, back, etc. and it wasnt even hot in my house.  Poor little thing.  As soon as I picked her up and calmed and I nursed her and she passed out within 30 seconds.  typical, lol

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page