What is your 6 week old doing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-26-2011, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK, I know I'm overreacting, but could use a little support. Ihave a 6 year old boy on the mild end of the spectrum and an advanced 2 year old boy. We recently had another boy 6 weeks ago tomorrow.

I know it's VERY early, but I can't help but have my fears with my newborn because of my oldest son's condition. My 6 week old doesn't smile yet, but will make eye contact with me for bits and pieces (I think anyway!) Seems to respond to human voice (at times) and will track objects a little. Eats well, latched on, appears "normally" fussy. So far doesn't appear abnormally placid or hyper. But will also just stare around. Will just lay in crib for a while before starting to cry.

My middle child hit milestones so early, and my other didn't I just don't know what's normal. I know the internet is an awful place to verify, but I just am a bit freaked.

What were your babies doing at 6 weeks? Thanks so much mammas - I hate that i am turning my baby boy into a source of stress and worry :(

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Hello!  I looked back at my calendar and I have noted that my son smiled in response to my smile at 8 weeks (and he laughed aloud that week too).  At 10 weeks we'd say "oh" back and forth to each other.  Around 13 weeks, he really *really* had no patience with strangers...I wrote in a note he was "shy."  :)  He didn't really hold things until the end of his 4th month.

I do remember though when he was 5-6 weeks (around Christmastime 2010) he really wasn't that expressive and was what I thought a little "spacey" compared to his 2 year old and 4 year old *boisterous* cousins.  In this respect, your six week old seems a lot like my guy when he was six weeks old.  And he's progressing "normally" (beautifully!) according to his pediatrician (who very randomly specializes in the treatment of autism spectrum conditions).

Congratulations on your new(ish) baby!

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#3 of 4 Old 06-26-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, Teraze.

It was really very kind of you to take the time and post this for me. It really has made me feel so much better.

Thanks again!

#4 of 4 Old 06-29-2011, 06:34 AM

Not much! Sleeps a lot.  Feeds.  Stares into space.  She does smile and seems to smile in response to my voice/face, but not in response to me smiling.  But also just smiles not in obvious response to anything.  Will lay in her basket/bouncy chair for quite some time (5/10/15 mins) just staring, or sucking her dummy.  I find myself wondering if she should be doing more, or I should be doing more with her, but I think really this is because with DD1 I had to do a lot in terms of constant movement and bf'ing just to stop her crying, whereas DD2 feeds quickly and with regular spaces, and is generally a much more content baby.  It's weird not having to do that much with her!  I hope you can relax, I'm sure your lovely new baby is doing just what he should be.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page