ugh, my dd does not have colic, could she already have stranger anxiety at 2 months or what? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-27-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Went to my grandmas yesterday and dd was crying a lot, and of course grandma goes on and on about how she must have colic that i need to do this and that, and I am getting irritated, because she does not have colic. She is a very good baby who doesn't cry much at all at HOME, and sleeps well at night. I do think she was tired and possibly overstimulated, but it was pretty bad. I have taken her shopping about once a week since about 3-4 weeks and she gets cranky but not like this, I am getting really nervous about taking her to the many family functions that are going on the next couple months. My grandma kept saying oh ds was a much better baby and that she was lucky that her lo's were not as fussy as my dd. I could go on and on about other rude things she said but that is my main question, could it be stranger anxiety? And how do i deal with this if it comes up again. I was holding her most the time and she still wouldn't be calm for a lot of the visit.  There was also someone smoking in the house which could have irritated her, which i didn't know there was going to be smoking in the house prior to getting there.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#2 of 4 Old 06-27-2011, 03:06 PM

My babies have always done that. I think they start waking up around that age and just get overstimulated. In fact my 9 and 4 years olds get overstimulated, lol.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#3 of 4 Old 06-27-2011, 04:01 PM

sounds more like overstimulation than stranger anxiety.. but my DS1 was terrible about getting overstimulated when we went out as a young baby.. he outgrew that around 6 months.

((hugs)) sorry your grandma was saying those things

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#4 of 4 Old 06-27-2011, 06:55 PM

I agree, could be stranger anxiety.  Do you have a wrap or a sling you could wear DD in?  If she gets fussy, take a time out, say that you need to nurse or change her and just giver her some time to calm down a bit.  Also, I'm sorry if your gramma was rude.  I think you'll find that everyone likes to compare their baby to yours and your gramma probably has rose coloured glasses on, not really remembering that her babies were fussy too!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page