BLW - when did your baby get eggs and citrus? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-29-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm really curious when other BLW-ers gave their babies eggs and citrus. DD (10 mo) has had eggs (hard-boiled only) very rarely but enough to know she's not allergic. Still the ped says no eggs til 1 year. Citrus too. I just wondered your experiences.

Also, random question: when can babies / kids eat sushi?

Thanks!

Holistic nutritionist, WAHM, new mom of first DD 08/29/10 and a precious baby due 2/13/12!

#2 of 14 Old 06-29-2011, 09:15 AM

We have given our 10-month DS both eggs and citrus already. I think he has had enough eggs to know that he is not allergic - we first tried them sometime between 8 and 9 months (I think). Our ped does not like giving babies egg whites under one year (although she is fine with yolks), but by the time she mentioned that, we had already given him whites without him reacting.

The citrus has so far been very limited, and I am not yet comfortable saying he is definitely not allergic. We gave him citrus around 9 months, and he broke out in head-to-toe hives the next day. HOWEVER, he was on an antibiotic at the time and our ped does not believe it was a food allergy, but rather an antibiotic allergy. Still, we have decided to hold off on giving any more citrus for the time being (probably until he is at least a year old).

Not sure about sushi! Would be curious to hear the answer to that.

First time mom to Max, born 8.23.2010!
#3 of 14 Old 06-30-2011, 10:38 PM

DD is 10 mos old. She has had eggs, scrambled, and fritattas. They are one of her favorite foods, She's defiantly not allergic. I've haven't given her citrus yet because I thought it would be too acidic. As far as sushi my DD loves it! I only let her have veggie rolls though. 

1st time mama to my little Diogenes, born 8/25/10
#4 of 14 Old 07-01-2011, 12:09 AM

ds has had scrambled eggs for many months now, but not a lot because he doesn't seem to like them much. He LOVES oranges, but apparently he's still too sensitive to citrus since his mouth and chin turn bright red after eating orange slices. He doesn't seem bothered by them otherwise.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#5 of 14 Old 07-01-2011, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I was doubting my intuition that eggs are ok!

Holistic nutritionist, WAHM, new mom of first DD 08/29/10 and a precious baby due 2/13/12!

#6 of 14 Old 07-03-2011, 08:58 AM

We gave our DD both eggs and citrus really early on when we started solids (started around 7 months and within a week she had eggs, orange and lemon). She hasn't had a reaction to any of it - now, at 10 months she eats all kinds of eggs (yolk and white) regularly, sucks on lemons (but doesn't like oranges).

Erica
DD September 2010, m/c October 2009
#7 of 14 Old 07-03-2011, 12:27 PM

Our awesome pediatrician just went to some sort of relevant conference and came back saying that based on the most recent research, she is confident that it's unnecessary to delay introduction of any foods unless there are food allergies in the immediate family. The only food she recommended avoiding was honey (raw -- as an ingredient in something cooked it's fine). And of course chokeables (e.g. nut butters spread thinly on something are okay, but nuts or a wad of nut butter by itself not so much).

We offered eggs before 7 months with no issues. We haven't offered citrus yet at 7.5 months, but only because we haven't had any around. I thought the concern with citrus was more related to the acidity than to allergies? 

Skeptical scribbling dorkophile.
#8 of 14 Old 07-03-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to hear it. I heard the same about the research but my previous ped (got me another one) said it wasn't true!

#9 of 14 Old 07-04-2011, 12:58 AM

My son is nine months old and has had eggs as an ingredient (like in quiche and an omelet) but not by themselves, and he has had plenty of citrus. I meant to hold off longer on eggs, but once you start the BLW it's hard to withhold anything you're eating! He demands whatever I've got, ha! He eats oranges, pineapple and had some lemon (but he didn't care for the lemon) with no ill effects.

#10 of 14 Old 07-04-2011, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

First citrus (orange) at 8 months. First eggs (quiche) at 10 months. No problems with either.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#11 of 14 Old 07-04-2011, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again! We haven't had any problems either but I was made nervous by the ped...

Haven't done citrus though...

#12 of 14 Old 07-04-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin77 View Post

...once you start the BLW it's hard to withhold anything you're eating! He demands whatever I've got, ha!

truedat.gif

Me, DH, and DS (9/18/10), living in a multi-generational household (non-pathetic way of saying we live in my parents' basement).
#13 of 14 Old 07-04-2011, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

That's how I feel too! I mean maybe burgers and fries or Chinese food on occasion we don't give to her... but everything else we do and she just looks at us sometimes like why? Why don't I have eggs in front of me? So I'm happy to hear it's probably okay. This weekend she ate some new fruits, strawberries and plums and we did notice that she got some tiny little red bumps around her mouth and on her chin - do you think this is from the acidity?

#14 of 14 Old 07-04-2011, 10:44 PM

Yes, I would say it's acidity. When my son ate the lemon, he got a reddish look around his mouth but no lasting effects like an allergy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page