Sitting issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-30-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 4.5 m/o doesn't like to sit. He will pull up to a sit when you hold his hands but seems very uncomfortable. He sort of flops forward. Whenever he's in a sitting position he will pop his legs up to a stand (of course, still holding on to someone and being wobbly). He is big for his age and has always had good neck control.

Does that seem normal? Should I just take that as a sign he's not really ready to sit even w/ assistance? My family thinks it's because he wears a big cloth diaper. shrug.gif

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 06-30-2011, 09:35 PM

4.5 months is kinda early to worry about sitting isnt it? Mine didnt sit till closer to 6 months. I wouldn't worry..

#3 of 12 Old 06-30-2011, 09:53 PM

Too young to worry about the sitting milestone. He'll do it when he's ready (unless there is some sort of medical issue). Check the milestone charts online. You could buy a Bumbo to help assist him but remember to never place it on anything but the floor. A friend of mine's baby took a tumble off the counter and fractured his skull. :(

#4 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I agree: check the milestone charts. There is always a HUGE range, but as far as I know most babies don't sit until 6 months, ie: 5 months would be early, meaning : why are you worried?

FWIW my baby couldn't properly sit unassisted until 7 months.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#5 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

No I guess my question didn't come out right. I know he's not ready to sit unassisted. It's that he doesn't want to sit with assistance-- like on somebody's lap. I'm wondering if I should keep trying to get him to sit or if I should take his reluctance as a sign he's not ready. Does that make more sense?

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#6 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 03:30 PM
mra

Julia went through a period - probably around 4 or 5 months (somewhere in there) where she didn't want to sit either. Whenever I would try to sit her on my lap or the floor she would straighten her legs out as if she wanted to stand instead. If I did get her into a sit, she would stretch out her legs and lean back.

Eventually she quit doing that and now at 6 months she sits just fine and can hold herself up for a short time.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#7 of 12 Old 07-02-2011, 12:09 AM

Ahhhhh....I see. :)  I wouldn't worry about it at all. I don't even recall trying to get my baby to sit at such a young age. :)

#8 of 12 Old 07-02-2011, 10:57 AM

My daughter didn't sit until 8.5 months. She just wasn't interested. She wanted to stand or crawl instead. In fact she learned to crawl at 7 months, before she could sit. Now she sits just fine.

rainbow1284.gifenergy.gifAugust 2010 ; angel2.gif April 2009; angel1.gif m/c 2008

#9 of 12 Old 07-03-2011, 09:36 PM

My son is 5 months and does the same thing :)

Amara ~ Married to my HS sweetheart, we're having a blast with baby Z (1/29/2011)

#10 of 12 Old 07-04-2011, 12:11 PM

Grace is 6 months and a week.  She likes to stand more than sit sometimes too.  She can sit unassisted for a few seconds if she's busy with something interesting.  It would be nice if she would sit up a little more, but I'm in no rush.  I'm just curious how she will begin to get herself in a sitting position without me pulling her up or propping her up.  Fun!

#11 of 12 Old 07-06-2011, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yep...baby is fine!! At 4 months, my dd could do..um...nothing!! lol.....She probably didn't sit well with help until 5-6 months, and sat unassisted at 7 1/2 months. There is a HUGE range of normal too. 

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#12 of 12 Old 07-12-2011, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

lol... Just had to update! Just days after I posted DS randomly decided he LIKES to sit and can now tripod sit on his own! 

For the record I wasn't really worried that he couldn't sit on his own yet it was that he didn't want to sit with assistance. I was afraid he could be having some spinal or leg problems (he has an internal spinal cyst the surgeon says is not a problem, but I was still cautious.) 

Anyway... it seems like he's just fine love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page