What length amber necklace? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-04-2011, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you have an amber necklace, what length did you get?  DD is 3.5 months old and weighs around 14-15 lbs right now.  I used one of my necklaces to see what length would fit well and then measured it and came up with 14 or 15 inches as a good length.

But I keep reading about 10 and 12 inch long necklaces, so I'm wondering am I measuring wrong?  These seem like they would never fit my DD...  She does have a chubby face and not a very long neck I suppose so maybe that's why?  Which got me to wondering, what length does everyone else use?  If I get the 14-15 inch necklace will it be a bad choice and too long?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-04-2011, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Ours was 13 inches and fit well, but was neither snug nor very long. DS was a big baby but not chubby at all.

If you measured and 14 inches seems right then I don't really see what your concern is.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#3 of 3 Old 07-21-2011, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I realize this is really long but please read if you are considering using an amber teething necklace! 

Hi mamas- I have a 6 mo dd who’s been using an amber teething necklace for about a month now.  She hasn’t had any problems with it (I also am not sure if it’s really helping at all).  But yesterday she took a nap on my legs (she fell asleep there when she was very cranky and I was not about to move her) and her teething necklace was pressed against my leg because she didn’t have a shirt on and my shorts left my leg exposed by my knee.  Anyway, I didn’t notice anything until I was going to bed last night and saw that I had several red bumps, about the size of mosquito bites all in a line near my knee.  I thought it was weird because they were too regularly spaced to be bug bites or anything like that but I didn’t think much about it because they weren’t bothering me.  Then, today they started hurting whenever my dress would brush against them.  And tonight they each formed a little blister in the center of the bump and they are very painful, constantly! 

Apparently I have an allergy to Baltic amber.  From what I can tell by searching on line this is rare- but since I am not prone to allergies I never would’ve guessed that I would have this reaction.  I am SO very grateful that this happened to me rather than my sweet little baby girl.  But thinking of the possibility of it happening to her made me feel that I have to warn other mamas about this!  I had a hard time deciding whether or not to try out this teething necklace and in the end thought, “well, what can it hurt?”  If I had realized this was possible, I definitely would have wanted to know so I’m just letting you know so you can make your own informed decision.

I’m attaching a pic- I apologize that it isn’t great but it gives you an idea of what I’m talking about.welts 005 small.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page