Blanket loving baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-05-2011, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our LO (5 ½ months now) is doing something (since she was about 4 months old) a bit …. I don’t have a good word, so let me explain.  She loves, and I mean loves to put blankets over her face.  When she does this, she makes little snort noises, wiggles her arms and legs like she is excited. She is perfectly fine!  If you move the blanket, she will look up at us with total ‘why did you move my fun look’ and promptly put the blanket back over her head and do it again.  It totally makes us nervous even though the blankets we have you can breathe through/safe/light. 

Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-05-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Let me add.... she only gets a blanket when she is napping and with us. Not at night!
#3 of 9 Old 07-05-2011, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Aw, that's kind of cute!

I wouldn't even worry if she does it in your presence only and with light, breathable blankets. When napping with her just be careful to hold the blanket away from her head ~it doesn't sound like she does it in her sleep, right? I would also have her in a sleep sack for night (not sure if those work for cosleeping or if you even are).

Also, I think the danger of babies suffocating in blankets is more for newborns before they have head control. I always thought older babies would just move their head if they couldn't breathe. Although if your LO is getting herself / her head wrapped up in a blanket then that could be dangerous if she couldn't breathe and couldn't find her way out. So yeah, I would just let her do it only under close supervision. And keep in mind it could be a passing phase...most things are with babies!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#4 of 9 Old 07-06-2011, 04:50 PM

My DD did this! I was terrified the first time I saw it. I didn't want to take her blankie away entirely, but I was scared of her suffocating herself. We introduced two handmade blankets with a very loose knit. 

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#5 of 9 Old 07-06-2011, 05:13 PM

DD used to do this. She used to put it over her face and then move it up and down really fast.

Same with scraves and things. I would just be sure to watch her close while she played this game with the cloth and help her move it away from her face, if she got caught up or something.

She has'nt done this since about 7 months though!

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#6 of 9 Old 07-16-2011, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Same here.  We used to kinda toss a receiving blanket in the air (holding 2 corners) and let it float down onto him.  He LOVED it.  Got so excited LOL And still does honestly biggrinbounce.gif

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#7 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 09:03 AM

My LO does this too, literally screams with delight. I'll let him play with flats and receiving blankets, it's great for when mom is folding laundry or diapers orngbiggrin.gif

#8 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 09:11 AM

DD has had to have a blanket from the start and her face covered. I stopped worrying so much once I seen she could move it herself. 

#9 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 09:22 AM

My DD was like this. She went to the infant room where I worked at the time and the rules wouldn't allow for a blanket in her crib and she wouldn't sleep there. They suggested a small lovely and she was instantly hooked. Slept with one for years after that.

Almost crunchy momma to Adisyn (6), Gage (4) and Dellan (1)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page