Help me help a friend. RE: infant sleeping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-06-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My cousin's girlfriend has a 4 week old baby and she is on facebook asking advice about how to get him to sleep better. From what she said last week when I saw her it sounded like he is sleeping about the normal amount for a baby his age. She is getting all kinds of advice from people like letting him CIO at night to giving him cereal in his bottle before bed. I know that none of it is good advice, but I don't know her that well so I don't want to be pushy. Does anybody have links to resources that I can point her to that would back up my opinion. I'm specifically thinking of info about how much an infant should sleep and how often you can expect them to wake up at night, why CIO is not a good idea, or why feeding a 4 week cereal may not be good for the baby. I know that I've learned all of this through the years but I can't think of any places to easily access this info online.

Thanks. 

#2 of 5 Old 07-06-2011, 12:08 PM

And that's why asking for advice on FB is a bad idea. 

A four weeks, they're probably crying because they're hungry, cold, or lonely. A 4 week old is WAY too little for CIO. Solids are an equally bad idea. My DD started sleeping longer the same night we started co-sleeping. Can your friend try that?

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#3 of 5 Old 07-06-2011, 12:10 PM

Sorry for the double post; I haven't been on in awhile and forgot how to modify a post. 

I know there is a lot of information in "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" to back up all the things you've said. Also check out wholesomebabyfood.com. Tons of info on the best ages to start foods.

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#4 of 5 Old 07-06-2011, 12:46 PM

There are a bunch of anti cio links on the sticky at the beginning of the Life with a Babe forum.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 5 Old 07-06-2011, 08:56 PM

I'm assuming she is formula feeding?  This is a study that links formula + early solids (i.e. cereal) to an increased risk of obesity:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41432714/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/t/starting-solid-foods-early-linked-obesity-risk/

Here is another link talking about the same study but they mention that the belief of giving cereal in the bottle will help baby sleep longer as a myth:

http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/babiespregnancy/babies/article/934371--formula-fed-babies-given-solids-too-soon-at-risk-for-obesity-study

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page