Weight Gain Issues - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-09-2011, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ds2 was born weighing 6lbs 10 oz. He gained weight like crazy until he was 4 months. Between 4 months and 6 months, he only gained 2lbs, but the Ped wasn't worried because he was still near his curve. At his 9 month checkup, he'd only gained 3lbs. He's 19lbs and 27 inches. The Ped asked me how he was eating a few times, and seemed a bit...not worried, but not completely relaxed either. I nurse ds on demand, I do baby led solids and usually feed him some of whatever I'm eating during the day. He's also crawling and cruising.

Is there something I'm missing? His amount of wet diapers has dropped, but it's also been extremely hot here, so he's been sweating a lot. In desperation, I gave him some cold formula (he only ate an ounce or two), and his number of wet diapers hasn't changed. He doesn't seem dehydrated, but I don't like his lack of weight gain. Any ideas?

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#2 of 4 Old 07-10-2011, 08:22 AM

He's 19 lbs. at 9 months. That sounds totally normal to me. Are you looking at where his percentile is on the WHO charts? My little guy is 9 months adjusted (he was a preemie) and he's only 16.5 lbs or so.

#3 of 4 Old 07-10-2011, 09:34 AM

That sounds completely normal for a breastfed baby to me.

My kids followed a similar curve.  Babies just don't gain in the second six months as rapidly as they do in the first.  They couldn't, or they would be too big to start walking!  My daughter gained 14 lbs. in her first six months.  She was only 4 lbs. at birth (6 weeks premature), but if she had gained another 14 lbs. in her second six months, she would have been a 32 lb. 1 year old (which is huge!).  At 26 months she's only 24 lbs., which is pretty small, but she's tall, eats everything under the sun, and is healthy, happy, and super smart.  Weight is only one piece of the puzzle and is so tied in to genetics that it's not fair to a baby or parent to expect a child to follow a line on a chart its whole life.

Obesity is such a problem for children these days.  It really worries me when I hear about doctors trying to get parents to "fatten up" their completely normal babies just to match a certain number, when there are no other problems.  It's easy for an infant to slim down because that's what happens naturally.  It is NOT easy for a toddler to slim down once they are already overweight

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 4 Old 07-10-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

My oldest dropped off in weight gain too, and the only reason I was worrying is due to the Ped asking me if he's eating. I know he is dropping percentiles, not sure if they are using the WHO chart though. He does have a hearty appetite for solids though--he will start growling if I'm not giving him any/fast enough. lol.gif

Looking at the WHO chart, he is somewhere in the median for kids his age (near the 50th percentile) for weight. He's still a shorty though. lol.gif I think it's the dropping percentiles that he was concerned over. I don't want to chunk him out artificially though. How would I be able to tell if he's not getting enough?

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page