Grunting only at night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-11-2011, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone know why my 6 week old only grunts when sleeping at night? She will take 2 hour naps during the day and lay perfectly still and quiet everytime she rest. Then, at night time she grunts, wiggles, and kicks her feet. When I get up to check on her, her eyes will be closed and she is sleeping but wiggeling around. It makes it very difficult for me to fall back asleep. Is there anything I can do to help her sleep peacefully at night?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-11-2011, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My baby used to grunt all the time when he was a newborn, as he was waking up. It was so funny! He would do it for like 5-10 minutes before he was actually up.

I can't remember when it stopped, but eventually it did.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#3 of 9 Old 07-11-2011, 07:04 AM

Hi, my little girl did this and it started to wake her up.  She would nap fine during the day by grunt and wriggle at night.  Unfortunaltey we never really got to the bottom of it and she took a long time to stop - we even saw a doctor about it because she was waking up and it sounded like she had wind she needed to get rid off.  We never found out a cause and it eventually stopped when she was about 14 months old.   I don't think it's that common to last that long though! x

Hermione

[url=http://www.forum-signatures.com][img]http://www.forum-signatures.com/wizard/Sigs/2010/final13103770247.jpg[/img][/url]

#4 of 9 Old 07-12-2011, 07:52 AM

I think the grunting stopped sometime around 8-10 weeks with my LO.

#5 of 9 Old 07-14-2011, 10:21 PM

We think it might have stopped around the 2-3 month mark for us.  At the time we thought our LO looked like she was trying to have bowel movements but were confused with the fact that she was quite regular and the BM's were always soft.  

Never found out the reason but we weren't that concerned since she was well in every other way.  It was just "odd".

#6 of 9 Old 07-15-2011, 07:02 AM

We had MOTN grunting here too.  He stopped around 9 or 10 weeks.  It drove me batty!  Hang in there :)

#7 of 9 Old 07-15-2011, 07:09 AM

We had the grunting too, until DS was about 12 weeks old. Since he slept right next to me and my maternity leave was going to end, I was seriously considering finding somewhere else to sleep during that part of the night! It stopped without me even realizing it - presumably because I was finally able to SLEEP during that time!

First time mom to Max, born 8.23.2010!
#8 of 9 Old 07-16-2011, 05:38 AM

Grunting can be nothing but it can also be a sign of respiratory distress. I would let your doc know just in case.

#9 of 9 Old 07-16-2011, 09:02 PM
tzs

ack!!!!

that is us right now at 6 weeks....i just posted about it.

our problem is that she wiggles and we tummy sleep so she's all over the place. i was looking for a cause but is everybody saying this is a newborn thing that they grow ut of???

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page