my tummy sleeper can't rest! tips??? help!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 07-13-2011, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
tzs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

what is going on with my previously perfectly happy tummy sleeping 6 week-old?

she's been a great sleeper until a couple nights ago...which i attribute partially to having her sleep on her tummy. unlike dd1 who was swaddled until 9 months and waking every couple hours as an infant, i put her to sleep on her tummy on a whim and it "worked" great....she only wakes 2x at night (7ish to 7ish) and takes a huge 3 or 4 hour nap in the afternoon...if she wakes or partially wakes she wiggles around and puts herself back to sleep. i thought it was b/c of her sleep position that she could resettle so easily (as opposed to being stuck on her back)

fast forward to a couple nights ago and now after nursing her (i have the crib sidecarred and we nurse side-lying) i am completely unable to resettle her back onto her tummy (from laying on her side to nurse.) 

she literally cannot stop moving and "crawling" around until she cries and i have to try all over again. last night i was finally able to get her back to sleep by full-on getting up and nursing sitting up and placing her back down like we do all day for naps. (i tried swaddling and back sleep too but she only slept an hour that way.)

today at nap (where she usually sleeps like a log even with alot of wiggling) she seemed like she couldn't settle and then resorted back to "crawling" around the crib until she was wide awake and moving all around the crib. 

what is going on? any tips to settle her?  (i've tried a firm hand on the back and mimicking vibrations without success) is this a phase to ride out...i know 6 weeks is a big age developmentally.

she's been very strong since birth, much like dd1. she's had head control  and can lift her head from tummy since day one. at her 5 day visit she rolled from back to tummy and has been able to since (i know....crazy....) she also inchworm crawled about a foot on the dr.s table. we haven't done hardly any tummytime being that i have a toddler to chase around and also that she's been tummy sleeping and riding in a sling anyway so i figured it wasn;t as dire a need.

could this be similar to when an older baby practices crawling in their sleep when going through that stage????

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page