Movie theater etiquette and 2 month old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, I would LOVE to see the new Harry Potter movie today, but would like to take my two month old.  She's pretty mellow, would probably nurse/sleep through the experience, and I'd be prepared to leave if she started fussing (going to afternoon matinee at a cheap theater).

It's been a long time since I've been to the movies (last one was Harry Potter 7 (part 1) and I have no idea if this is normal or if theaters frown on mamas with babies.  Ideas? Tips?

#2 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 09:19 AM

i would probably sit near the back or on the aisle for a quick escape.  i don't think anyone would frown upon it as long as you left if baby was disturbing others.

does your area have special screenings for parents with babies.  where i am they're called "monday morning mommy movies", but they have different names in various places.  the volume is lowered, the lights are dim (rather than completely off) and they even set up changing tables in the back. 

i say go and have fun!

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#3 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 09:26 AM

I personally am not a fan of babies in theaters unless its geared towards kids like Toy Story and movies like that. 

I personally don't feel its appropriate but I know many do. I would say a mid day one would be best since a lot of people bring kids to those ones. 

#4 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 09:29 AM

Do it!!!  I took the baby to see Bridesmades (ha!  I went to see and took the baby with me) when she was two months.  It was a regular screening and at that time all she did was nurse and sleep through the entire film.  It was a little bit loud though - the volume on the film - but the baby didn't seem to mind it.  She was a champ and didn't stir throughout.

Now, however, that the baby is older with longer play periods, I don't think I'd take her to a regular film as I'm sure I'd have to leave for a good portion of it. 

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#5 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 11:36 AM

Go! We went when n she was small and she nursed and slept the whole time. Its more challenging now BC she gets bored and wants to crawl and babble and play. We went last week (she's 11months now) and its too much for me. She's just too active. But the first 6 months were so easy to go anywhere. Bring a carrier...so in case you need to bounce or nurse to asleep you can stand in the back.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

DD: 8/10

#6 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 12:16 PM

My concern wouldn't be with the baby (I know mine would have slept/nursed through at that age), but with the volume in the theater. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable exposing a little baby to that level of noise.

#7 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input! We went to an afternoon show and it was great! The theater was not crowded and I got an aisle seat close to an exit. I had her in the mint and she slept through the whole thing. It was a little loud but didn't cause her to stir (she snored her way through the 4th of July!).
I'm so glad we went!
#8 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Um, Moby, not mint. Darn autofill!
#9 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 08:40 PM
tzs

i'm glad you did it!

i went once with dd1 as a newborn and she also slept through the whole thing. by the time she was a crawling and loud baby i had regretted not going more often when she was tiny tiny.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page