When did you/will you introduce meats and/or beans? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-18-2011, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD is 7.5 months old, and I'm considering introducing meats and beans into her diet. She's still eating purees. When did you introduce meats and/or beans? I make all of her baby food - does anyone have any recipes? 

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#2 of 7 Old 07-18-2011, 07:07 PM
tzs

we did right away...about 6 months. beans we just gave straight as finger food, great for snacking and practicing her pincer grasp, i coated with olive oil or a vinagrette for flavor and to add fats. but we did a more BLW approach. if you are worried about chunks you could always do refried beans, they were/are a big hit too. 

meat we did alot of ground beef stuff since it's really soft (meatballs, meatloaf, chili etc...). soup chicken is also really soft. and chopped liver or liver pate is super duper soft and has tons of iron.

BirthIsAwesome likes this.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#3 of 7 Old 07-20-2011, 09:22 PM

I just gave DD some pork ground sausage the other day that I prepared for some pasta I was making. She really liked it and she is 7.5 months with no teeth yet. I just crumbled it up for her.

#4 of 7 Old 07-25-2011, 10:05 AM

Funny you should ask this one! We just started feeding solids last week (6.5 months old). The pediatrician advised starting directly with meat. Her view was that the only reason for cereal was for the iron and to learn to eat solids, so it was better to start with meat. We began with lentils with a little rice cereal mixed in to make it a complete protein and we just finished 4 days of steak. Next we try salmon! We plan to feed a lot of beans/legumes and luckily she seems to really like them!

#5 of 7 Old 07-28-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spargel View Post

Funny you should ask this one! We just started feeding solids last week (6.5 months old). The pediatrician advised starting directly with meat. Her view was that the only reason for cereal was for the iron and to learn to eat solids, so it was better to start with meat. We began with lentils with a little rice cereal mixed in to make it a complete protein and we just finished 4 days of steak. Next we try salmon! We plan to feed a lot of beans/legumes and luckily she seems to really like them!

My pediatrician advised the same thing, well proteins, not just meats - like avacado, egg yolks, beans, etc. because my 6mth old didn't like purees.  By 7.5 mths rice and beans (not pureed, just finger foods) was his favorite meal.  But we also do quite a few meals with beans as we are vegetarians.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#6 of 7 Old 07-29-2011, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hmm... I'm not exactly sure when it was but my one of his first foods was garbanzo beans that were smashed up. Maybe around 7 months.

be good family...

#7 of 7 Old 07-29-2011, 04:58 PM

Like several PPs, we to BLW. LO tried a bit of pit-smoked pork his first week eating (6 mo), roast beef his second week, and tuna his third week. We just give him a bit that is fry-shaped so he can hold it and bite it. I don't know that he's actually swallowed any yet, but he mashes it around.

http://moregreenforlessgreen.blogspot.com/

Living more eco-friendly for less money

Success after loss and infertility! Joyful mom to two boys (1/11 and 8/12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page