Signs of a milk protein intolerance? Something else? Thoughts please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-22-2011, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We offered 8.5 mo DD plain yogurt for the first time on Sunday. She seemed to have no problems with it, so we offered it again Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Wednesday she had 6 mucousy diapers that got progressively runnier as the day wore on, so we stopped offering yogurt that day. Yesterday she had 3 yucky diapers that were very runny, and this morning she's had 1 that was practically brown water :(. Since Wednesday, she's had a red rash around her anus. Starting yesterday, she is only offered BM until her gut gets back on track.

This morning she ran a 100.6 degree temp, which may or may not have anything to do with her diaper issues.

The only time she's shown any sign of a milk protein intolerance was when I'd eat my homemade macaroni and cheese in her younger months. Her poo would be mucousy and green, and she'd have a lot of gas. There is no gas or green color with this stuff.

What are your thoughts?

mama to 1 gorgeous DD 11/05/10

When we know better, we do better.

#2 of 5 Old 07-22-2011, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?

DD is still running a fever tonight and having runny diapers. Maybe it is a virus after all.

mama to 1 gorgeous DD 11/05/10

When we know better, we do better.

#3 of 5 Old 07-23-2011, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It sounds  like it could be either.  DD1is lactose intolerant and the same thing happened to her when she got milk  for the first time, although yogurt gives her no problems (lactose is usually broken down already in yogurt). The only way to really tell is to wait for it to clear up for awhile and then try re-introducing it again in smaller amounts to see if the same thing happens. Also, check out the allergy forum, there is a lot of wisdom there too!

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#4 of 5 Old 07-23-2011, 08:30 AM

My dd has severe food allergies. When I think she may have be having a reaction, the first thing I tend to look for is the absence of fever. Given your dd may have a bit of an elevated temp, you may need to wait things out a bit. Maybe try milk again when all the symptoms are gone. 

Just my 2cents.gif though. I would definitely post in the Allergy forum when and if you need to in the future. The mamas over there are amazingly smart. 

#5 of 5 Old 07-23-2011, 01:58 PM

i tend to agree with the pp's on this.  my DS has a milk protein allergy and his diapers were mucusy and green with blood and he was very gassy...runny sounds more like diarrhea, especially with a fever.  if you want to confirm it's not a reaction to the yogurt, reintroduce once she is normal again.  poor baby - hope she feels better!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page