he wants everything he cant have! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-25-2011, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

its driving me nuts! my first ds did not do this. ive had to put a safety gate up to the bathroom cuz i cant leave my two little ones alone or else someone will get hurt, and before the safety gate, they could just walk/crawl in cuz the door had to be open and now that ds2 moves, oh man! he was getting the toilet paper and eating it, trying to stick his hand in the toilet while im on it! he was trying to climb into the tub, he would get into the trash can ...ugh! so now the gate is up and he stands at the gate while i pee and he hoooowwls he is so upset. 

but its not just the bathroom. in the kitchen, he smashes his fingers on all the cabinets. some of them have the safety locks (for my older ds) but they still open enough to smash a finger. then he eats every crumb or bug or paper or lint on the floor that he can find. 

he climbs up everything! we put an ottoman to block off a unlocked door on our tv stand, and i just turned away for a second, and he had climbed up the ottoman and was on the tv stand!

we have climbing toys (we have lots of age appropriate toys, nothing too stimulating, i am a stickler for toys and i prefer open ending, hard-to-destroy type toys) but he still finds something to do that is not safe for him. he eats any paper or plastic that is on a toys (like a sticker or something that can peel off)

im just venting. i baby-proofed for my first ds while still letting him have ample "adult" things that were safe for him. likes pots and pans or ....books....lol. but this little guy EATS our books!! i need a bubble for him

or maybe not, because he eats bubbles shrug.gif

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#2 of 5 Old 07-26-2011, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

They make safety locks for cabinets that also lock open, meaning the kid can open it like 2 inches or whatever, but it then locks open so they can't close it again and smash their fingers. They are a PIA for adults because you have to reach your finger in and unlatch it every time you want to open the cabinet/drawer, but they do prevent finger smashing. Not sure of a brand, I don't have them, but I have seen them.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#3 of 5 Old 08-03-2011, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Tot Lok!  They are magnetic locks for cupboards.  You have to use the magnet 'key' to get them open.  My mom had them when she was doing daycare and they were STRONG.  With the magnet you could get the cupboard open in just a second or two.  Without it... you might have better luck with an axe.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#4 of 5 Old 08-05-2011, 12:13 PM

Be warned though, if your cabinets are solid wood, the magnetic locks don't work AT ALL. I wasted a fortune on them. :( We put rubber bands (big strong ones like off of broccoli or asparagus) around the knobs of "pairs" of cabinet doors. That works fairly well... for now. 

Our DS is the same way as the OP's DS. A holy terror into EVERYTHING. And god forbid if I leave "the cage" (that's the baby gated off office/entryway) even if DH is still in there... Oh no! Mommy is leaving me for.ever. Whaaaaaaaaa!

#5 of 5 Old 08-05-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacridote View Post

Our DS is the same way as the OP's DS. A holy terror into EVERYTHING. And god forbid if I leave "the cage" (that's the baby gated off office/entryway) even if DH is still in there... Oh no! Mommy is leaving me for.ever. Whaaaaaaaaa!

FD is the same way! If I leave her area I will hear about it. I am working on babyproofing the house so I can give her more freedom(our cage is in the living room, blocked off by furniture, a packnplay, and a stand up music toy). But that also means I can't have anything on low tables, even papers on the desk have to be far enough back that she can't reach up, grab them and eat them. And all of her board books have at least one chewed corner. I used to let her use the diaper cases as temporary walkers, but she eats those too!

femalesling.GIF semi-crunchy foster mom to A - 11mo

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page