Help me pick a lovey blanket! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-27-2011, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS2 is now 10 months. He is clearly very tactile. When he is trying to fall asleep, he likes to stroke my arm, fiddle with my ring, etc. We have a couple of blankets, a little froggy lovey (like this:http://compare.ebay.com/like/350275701359?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y), and a very soft stuffed kitty cat. I have been trying to guide his fingers to these items, but he wants nothing to do with them. We do have a blanket that has a satin-like material on one side, and he has gathered that up and held it up to his face, but it is too big and heavy and I worry about suffocation. So, what would you suggest? I am looking at beautiful blankies at Etsy, and am trying to decide. What's better? Tag blanket, or satin ruffle all the way around? If tag, looped, or cut? What's better, silky satin, or some other fabric?? What did your LO like??

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#2 of 8 Old 07-28-2011, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

My DS picked a heavy blanket too, though it's actually a baby blanket and it sounds like yours isn't.  I was hoping he'd go with one of the receiving blankets (like all my friends kids did!) but nope! That's the one he picked.  And now we live in Nevada, but he still wants this one:  http://www.landofnod.com/baby-blankets/kids-bedding/chenille-schlimazel-blanket/f3836  it was a gift from DPs work.  If he likes the feel of the satin maybe you can find something similar but smaller?

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#3 of 8 Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 PM

My son has a froggy lovey (3 of them actually) from Carter's.  They are portable (maybe 15in square).  He didn't really become attached to it until he was around 1.  Maybe he'll become attached to it eventually.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#4 of 8 Old 07-29-2011, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, this is the one he grabbed and bunched up over his face! Goodness, I never realized it was so expensive -- got it as a gift!

Do you think it's safe? Yes, it's a baby blanket, but I guess I'm paranoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonalee View Post

My DS picked a heavy blanket too, though it's actually a baby blanket and it sounds like yours isn't.  I was hoping he'd go with one of the receiving blankets (like all my friends kids did!) but nope! That's the one he picked.  And now we live in Nevada, but he still wants this one:  http://www.landofnod.com/baby-blankets/kids-bedding/chenille-schlimazel-blanket/f3836  it was a gift from DPs work.  If he likes the feel of the satin maybe you can find something similar but smaller?

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#5 of 8 Old 07-29-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy918 View Post

My son has a froggy lovey (3 of them actually) from Carter's.  They are portable (maybe 15in square).

DS has the Carter's loveys too. We have 4 of them and I am considering getting one more, for emergency back-up. I did get 4 different animals, so DS isn't attached to a specific one - I did that on purpose, in case we weren't able to find the specific one, if it ever needed to be replaced. We call all 4 "buddy".

We keep one in each car, one in his crib and one at his Grandparent's house.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#6 of 8 Old 07-29-2011, 08:01 PM

Babies r us sells blankets very similar to the Land of Nod blankets but for about half the price.

My daughter has two of them in purple.  Unfortunately, she realizes now that there are two, and insists on sleeping with both of them, although only one is ever allowed to leave the house (long car rides, daycare, etc.).

My younger daughter has the same one from BRU but in green.  She likes to hold the silkie part in her hand as she sleeps.

I would definitely recommend something store bought though.  As nice as hand made and very personal things are, if you lose them, you're screwed.  My baby blankie (which I still have stored in a closet) was made by a relative.  It got left behind on vacation once halfway across the country and when my parents tracked it down, they had it shipped overnight because I was completely distraught.

#7 of 8 Old 07-30-2011, 08:49 PM

I just ordered a custom toddler blanket from www.takarababy.com They're stinkin expensive but who doesn't love hand dyed and embellished OBV blankets lol. 

#8 of 8 Old 07-30-2011, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Porcelina, are you crafty at all? Or is there someone close to you that is? Would it be possible to cut (and refinish the edges) of the blanket that your DS has chosen into smaller more manageable sizes? You still might be concerned about the thickness of it, but seeing as how your DS is close to a year I think it's probably ok, but of course only you can judge if he has enough control, awareness etc to move himself or the blanket if it's over his face. Perhaps you could hold it up to your face and test it's breathability?

Good Luck!!

I was a little that was attached to one and only one blankie and it had to have good satin that was soft to rub against itself in every direction winky.gif. Satin snob...some satin only rubs soft in one direction.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page