Baby throwing up formula? Not reflux? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-02-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey all.  Anyone have any info on babies throwing up formula and it not being a reflux issue?

This kiddo is 6mo old and has this problem off and on.  He'll be fine for days, then all of a sudden throw up to the point of it being 8pm and there's breakfast lying on the floor.  He's a foster kiddo a friend has but we may be getting him soon and I want to know more about this.

He was tested for reflux and it was negative.  He's on a special formula for spit up.  I don't have a high opinion of the doctor he sees, but can't change it as the social worker insists he still see the doc he was with when he entered into foster care.  They just write it off as normal baby spit up after the negative reflux test, and my friend really had to be a pain in the butt just to get that test.

I've raised my own son and taken care of others, I know spit up, it's just a part of babyhood.  But this is all out vomiting.  The other night it took us 2 large bath towels to clean up!

Anyone have any answers/ideas?

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-03-2011, 07:29 AM

This may be a stupid question, but could he be allergic to something in the formula?  Would the doctor and/or social worker allow your friend to try a different formula?

(I ask b/c I'm adopted and spent the first several weeks of my life projectile vomiting until they found a formula that would work for me, so that was my first thought about the baby's formula.)

Poor guy.  Hope a solution is found soon!

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#3 of 9 Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 AM

also have you tried baby probiotics? (if he's throwing up breakfast at 8pm I thinking his digestive system isn't processing the food very well). My DD is supplemented with formula and we've found that probiotics are an all around help (reflux, poops, gas/spit up). We do the baby jarrow stuff (can't think of the name right now).

Food Intolerance/ sensitivities? Something in the formula or if he's eating solids something in that? I'd think it's the formula since this has been going on from the get-go. What about alimentum/nutramigen? 

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#4 of 9 Old 08-03-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

They have him on Enfamil A.R.  I'm assuming it has to be something inherent in him or with the formula since he's been doing it before any solids/cereal/etc. were added.

I'll ask if she's tried any probiotics.  Do you think adding yogurt and/or store bought kefir would help?

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
#5 of 9 Old 08-03-2011, 02:55 PM

Is the baby intolerant to the milk?

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#6 of 9 Old 08-03-2011, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

They tried a milk-free formula and it didn't make a difference.

#7 of 9 Old 08-03-2011, 05:48 PM

my DS 3 was a happy spitter.  He just spit up for 11 months 3 weeks.  My ped said it usually goes away at either 6 months or a year.  He ate gained weight grew met his mile stones but spit up after EVERY bottle or breast he ever took.   We tried every formula and nothing made a difference.  I used toddler prefolds or hand towels instead of burp clothes on my shoulders and changed my shirt no less than 3x a day.    I found out my husband was the same way.

PM me if you want :D

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#8 of 9 Old 08-03-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks JBaxter.  :-)  He does spit up a lot, but he also does the full blown regurgitation thing....waaay more than spit up.  He doesn't do it all the time and it's not predictable.  I had him for 6 days and he did it twice.  His foster mom says he can go a while without doing it, then goes through a spurt of it.

He's gaining weight just fine...perhaps too fine.  He's just 6 months and just into 18 month clothes.  Quite a chunk.  :-)

#9 of 9 Old 08-03-2011, 07:03 PM

Yup Nathan did from a slimy mouthful to what I could guess was an ounce or two.   My ped was pretty consertive and said as long as he was happy and gaining weight to wait it out till he was a year.  Something about the valve that closes off the top of the stomach being immature in some children and it usually corrects its self by a year... Nathan I SWEAR was 11 month 3 weeks and it just stopped.  Heavier foods were not an issue just breastmilk/ formula.  I learned to carry him facing forward.  I used the rug scrubber as much as I used the vacuum  LOL.  other than messiness nothing else was an issue.   the AR formula was no better than regular and the soy just made him consitpated.   Nathan was also generally a happy baby.  I did find a little tummy time just after a bottle or breast seemed to help him keep more down.   

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page