April 2011 DDC thread! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 134 Old 08-03-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thought I'd go ahead and start this, since our DDC is closing already. Our DDC hasn't been that active lately, but maybe we can jump start things here?

Here are some questions to get us going: What are your babies up to, developmentally? Do you feel like you've fallen into a family rhythm yet with the new addition? What things have given you a sense of accomplishment as a mother, lately? Who has gone back to work, and how is it going? Conversely, for those of us who are staying home for now, how is that?

I'll start: E is 14.5 weeks. She's rolling from back to side, but not all the way over, and has started giggling occasionally and is "talking" a lot. She's also very good at grabbing, and is exploring things with her tongue. I feel like we are *barely* getting into a rhythm, but we are definitely more settled. I feel more confident every day. Staying home is tough--often boring and isolating--but I'm getting better about getting out of the house and trying to meet other moms. In terms of pride, I'm proud that I am so much better at reading her cries/needs than I was at first, and am figuring out how to get her to sleep much more easily than I was before.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#2 of 134 Old 08-03-2011, 06:14 PM

Amelia is 14 weeks, she spends most of the day in a back carry or nursing.  When she's nursing mommy is usually on the computer ( I was really bad today and the kids WRECKED our playroom/computer room!) while reading books to the other two.  She has started liking to look at and feel toys and she is just starting to get them to her mouth - one of her favorties is a pom-pom.  She doesn't like the bouncy or her playmat - she wants to be up and looking around.  I'va sat her in our bumbo to shower a couple of times and she thought that was awesome, but I don't know if I should feel guilty for that or not :p She rolls from back to belly as soon as she is laid down.  I'm a SAHM to a 3.5 yo and a 21 mo tto and we're a 1 car family which DH takes to work - so we make each other bonkers some days wild.gif

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#3 of 134 Old 08-03-2011, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I rely on nursing to get my computer time but the days when I could just hang out and watch an episode of Seinfeld or something while nursing are dwindling as she becomes more efficient and more eager to be up and exploring!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#4 of 134 Old 08-03-2011, 07:33 PM

The baby aka DD2 is 4 months old tomorrow! I simply cannot believe how time has just flown.  I am very grateful that she's a mellow, relaxed baby - so unlike her older siblings.  She's begun to coo and laugh and loves being on her playmat provided that DS and DD1 don't tackle her.  She's rolled from her back to her front a couple of times too.

I'm a lot more confident with DD2.  I know her personality and cues pretty well and make things work with her and the other two.

abiyhayil - I can totally relate - DS is 4 and DD1 is 2 and we've one car too.  DH travels a lot though so I get the car (yay) but he's gone (boo).  You also just reminded me to get the bumbo from my mom's place. :-)

On a little bit of a sad note DD2 is shedding (for lack of a better word) her hair.  She was born with a glorious head of thick brown hair and it's beginning to thin out.  It happened with both DS and DD1 but DD2 has more so I'm sad to see it go.  I'm curious as to what colour will replace it - it could be anything.  

PS Blanca - we're April 2011, not 2010! LOL

#5 of 134 Old 08-04-2011, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

oh, oops! Duh. I'll try to change the title.

#6 of 134 Old 08-04-2011, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Wyatt is 13.5 weeks. He sits up well,but hasn't quite mastered balancing so he needs some support. He hasn't turned over yet, but he has been trying to crawl for a while so I imagine it's coming. Lately he has been grabbing everything (clothes, my hair, toys, his diaper when I'm changing him...). Also, lots of talking! It's getting exciting to see him respond to words he knows.

I feel like we've got a good rhythm going. We've been able to take Wyatt out from the beginning (thank goodness!). Actually, he seems to think it beats being at home. lol.gif  I feel proud that I have a content and secure baby. I feel like we're growing closer now that we can communicate more with each other.

Staying home is going well,  but I'm going to be taking (online) classes in the fall and I'm not sure how I'll manage to study.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#7 of 134 Old 08-05-2011, 08:51 AM

has anyone been getting this: 

"Whats her name?"

"Amelia"

"Oh what do you call her?"

I call her Mealy, but I don't think she would like anyone else to lol.gif  I can't get  used to calling her something cute!

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#8 of 134 Old 08-05-2011, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Windymama--hugs on the hair! Eliza was born with a decent amount and most of it rubbed away within the first six weeks, but then is mostly filled in now with a lighter brown.

Mamapigeon--wow, already responding to words! We have have been wondering when she will recognize her own name--I read that usually it's between 4 and 6 months.

Abihayil--no, haven't gotten that one. How odd. Amelia is lovely just as it is!

#9 of 134 Old 08-05-2011, 05:10 PM

Abihayil-  I've never heard of anyone else being asked that! Maybe just unusual people in your area? We just get comments on who Wyatt looks more like.

Blanca- Wyatt doesn't know (or at least, doesn't respond) his name yet either. In fact, he seems to think his name is "Baby". lol.gif

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

#10 of 134 Old 08-09-2011, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)

Hey, Mamas!!   I can't believe our DDC is closing.  I JUST got around to visiting today - jeez.  Thanks for starting this Blanca 

First, I want to say that I have a really terrible time with usernames.  I can't keep track/remember them all that well.  So, if we see each other on the boards here and there say hi to me so I remember we shared a DDC.  I'll do the same if I see a name I recognize.  

DC2 is doing well.  I'm a mildly stressed from time to time with how fast life is going.  It seems like I close my eyes and another week goes by.  I took a nice long baby moon where I basically nursed and watched TV for 2 months.  It was awesome!  But I don't think I did a good job of giving myself a transition period because I went straight into crazy summer activity mode.  We went to Florida, then sailing camp for DC1, then the beach, then camping then home to deal with my mom's stroke.  All of this with a maximum of 1.5 days between to catch up.  Oy.  I've manged to put the breaks on now and am catching up but then I'm bummed about summer being almost over and feeling like we're wasting August with boring things like laundry and school work (DC1 needs extra help in the summer/mild LD).  

Anyway...

What's baby doing.  Lots of what you all are describing.  Rolling a bit, playing with toys, visibly bored from time to time, very interactive with people.  

Sleep and feeding wise things are going well.  DC2 is a good baby.  We're still doing the swaddling thing, I wish I could get her to take a pacifer, feeding is going well though I wish I could limit the cluster feeding but some articles I've read make me think I need to just deal.  

I am going back to school in late August - just for two 4.5 hour stretches.  DC2 doesn't take a bottle though so I'm a little stressed about that.  

DH is reading NurtureShock, which makes me really happy to see him  taking the lead on some parenting stuff.  I'm relieved that the book he picked reinforces my/our many philosophies.   

I'm not really experiencing any insolation issues (I did with DC1) because I think I already made the transition to "parent life".  Emotionally, things are much, much easier the second time around (for me).  Of course it helps that there are 9 years between DC1 and DC2.  I am having the pangs of an identitycrisis a little still, however.  I've got a bug up my butt about getting my ears re-pierced in the cartilage.  Still, that's mild compared to what I did with DC1.  I don't know why my new mama drama manifests itself in such a physical way because I'm not a particularly image conscious person.  :shrug  

Looking forward to keeping in touch!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#11 of 134 Old 08-10-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

IdentityCrisis--good to hear from you! I am also going back to school, just for a term, starting late September. DD will be in daycare three days a week. We have not really tried to get her to take a bottle yet, but I'm a little worried she'll resist.

That's great that your DH is reading a parenting book of his own accord. I wish mine would. I really struggle with giving him the room to take the lead, especially when it comes to soothing her, because it's so easy for me to just step in and give her the boob if she fusses. At the same time, I find myself resenting him for not doing more. I would like it if he would read more and take more initiative/have more patience with soothing her, but then I also need to be more willing to step back and let him learn, even if it means she cries more. He's great with her in many ways--loves reading to her, talking to her, etc.--but not very patient with rocking her down and stuff like that.

#12 of 134 Old 08-11-2011, 06:08 AM

wow... i just had a huge post... and the 'puter ate it. eyesroll.gif be back later...

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#13 of 134 Old 08-11-2011, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hello Everyone! Abbey will be 4 months tomorrow and I can't believe how fast time is passing. She is doing all the standard baby stuff, rolling over, cooing, playing with toys. I am really pleased that I have been able to pump enough at work that she doesn't need formula. She goes between breast and bottle with no problem which is another great thing. This is my 5th child but DH 1st and he is such a wonderful dad. Watching him with Abbey makes me fall in love with him again and again. He keeps her at home on days that I work so they get a lot of daddy-daughter time. I have really learned to let go and not try to micromanage his parenting. Their bond is so strong. This is new to me since my exes were and still are uninvolved with the child rearing.

I am glad to see this post, because even if I don't check in all the time, I realized I got kinda attached to the group LOL

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#14 of 134 Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Pattimomma--wasn't there some concern about her not gaining enough weight? Just wondering how that all worked out. Sounds like things are going great!

Hey, I have a question--I might also post a thread in the forum at large. But I'm wondering how naps are going for you all? DD is doing great with night sleep--there have been some ups and downs but most nights she'll start with a 6-7 hour stretch (sometimes even close to 8 hours) and then a 2-3 hour stretch. But her naps are just so wildly inconsistent. I feel like I never know if she'll sleep 25 minutes or 2 hours. As she approaches 4 months, I'd like to try to get her on something resembling a schedule, but right now wake times, nap times, and bedtimes are all over the place.

Are any of you on a nap schedule? Is this inconconsitency something they grow out of? We try to start bedtime at the same time every night (7:30-8) but sometimes she falls asleep right away and sometimes she doesn't settle till close to ten!

#15 of 134 Old 08-11-2011, 12:48 PM

Wyatt started rolling over yesterday! biggrinbounce.gif Really exciting, but whew, now I have to be even more careful to hold him while changing his diapers.

No consistency here with naps... He's down right now, but I have no clue how long it will be so I'm wolfing down my lunch! I'd like to find a pattern in his napping schedule so I could get more done around here. We're moving soon and I want to get everything packed up.

I've got a question too! How big are your babies getting?

Wyatt has nearly outgrown his carseat (the straps are at the loosest setting and still cut into him dizzy.gif). The last time he was weighed and measured (2 weeks ago) he was 17.5 lbs and 26 5/8 inches... Anyone else have a jumbo baby?

#16 of 134 Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Wahoo! Way to go, Wyatt! So exciting!

I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with lack of nap consistency--hopefully it's developmental and may fall into more of a rhythm down the line. The only sort-of pattern I can discern is that over the last couple weeks she has tended to take short (25-45 minutes) naps earlier in the day and then a long (1.5-2.5 hours) nap in the mid to late afternoon. I'm trying not to stress about it but it's hard. I worry about her getting enough sleep.

I have no idea how much Eliza weighs, but I think it's a lot. At her two month appt she was in the 70th percentile for weight and the 30th for height! If I recall correctly, she was almost 13 pounds at 9 weeks. She doesn't look that chubby and still fits in her three month clothes at 15 weeks, but her thighs are hilarious--so roly poly. She seems to have gotten taller lately, too.

#17 of 134 Old 08-12-2011, 10:09 AM

Blanca78- Abbey goes to bed (with a feeding) between 10 and 11PM. She eats at 2:30AM, 5:30AM, 8:30AM and finally gets up for the day around 10AM. Naps are pretty much whenever she seems tired and can last anywhere between 20min to 2 hours.

She is 4 months old today and weighs about 11.5 pound. She is just small. I quit worrying about her weight.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

#18 of 134 Old 08-13-2011, 03:52 PM

Wow, it really sounds like all of our babies are doing so well!

Pattimomma-  It's so nice that your DH can spend so much time with Abbey! I need to work on stepping back to let my husband spend more alone time with DS. I bet Abbey is so cute! I don't think she sounds too small, maybe she's going to be petite. I think a lot of Wyatt's weight is from big bones and his height.

Blanca-  E's thighs must be adorable! I like plump little baby legs! I expected Wyatt to be a little butterball, but he's actually somewhat thin. I love seeing how different babies are (I like to daydream about what other children will look like). Any good naps this weekend?

#19 of 134 Old 08-18-2011, 04:39 AM

We planted DD2's placenta this past weekend under a fruit tree at MILs.  Anyone else plant the placenta?  It was the 1st time we did it with one of the kids (DS and DD1 were hospital births).  I can't wait to watch the tree grow.

Finally got around to trying a bottle on DD2.  I went out for dinner with some girlfriends and MIL gave DD2 her bottle.  Am glad that she'll take one - I've a course coming up and I need her to take it so I can go to it.

Blanca - DD2 has about 3 naps a day or so.  Honestly I stopped counting and just keep looking for the signs of sleepiness (she's my 3rd and my older two don't nap so I'm not as concerned about getting her down at a certain time).  Some days are better than others though.

mamapigeon - it's amazing the shape of little babies!  DD2 is round with "thunder thighs" LOL.  She sorta melts into you though.  My niece is a bit younger than DD2 and I compare her to a sack of sugar - she's very firm and solid in her fat.

#20 of 134 Old 08-18-2011, 05:57 AM

windy, awesome that you planted DDs placenta... I've been meaning to get around to doing that! we're dragging our feet 'cause we don't plan on staying here (this house), my parents offered for us to plant it under the tree they planted after DSs birth but DP was feeling a bit possessive about it. I think it might go into the garden next spring.... maybe.

naps: no consistency here... except for the fact that he (mostly) will only sleep in arms... and has to be nursed down for them. he still seems to need sleep every 1 1/2 - 3 hrs.

Milestones: he has rolled both back to front and reverse but doesn't continue to do so... he recently found his screech (in delight) voice, it's so cute! he's also very interested in our food and drink! also my iPad and the computer mouse. it's amazing to watch him reach for these things 'cause it means he's mimicking us!

so I have a question... DS is 4 1/2 months and DP is anxious to start solids... I'm hesitant. thoughts?

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#21 of 134 Old 08-18-2011, 08:18 AM

Wehrli - I would wait to start solids until at least 6 months old. You might want to suggest to your partner to check out the Kelly mom site as it has a lot of good info on when and how to start solids as well as why to delay starting them.

Mamapigeon- I know how hard it can be letting someone else take over baby care and do things differently than you do but it's so worth it. I really think my stepping back helps the bond between my husband and Abbey. I keep reminding myself that babies benefit from having a significant relationship with someone other than just mom.

This is probably a question for another thread but what is everyone doing about birth control. AF has yet to return so I haven't been too worried about it but I know that the 6 month mark is coming up. I am nervous about charting while nursing. I guess I should go post over there . . .  

#22 of 134 Old 08-18-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Pattimomma--we've just been using condoms, all TWO times we've DTD since she was born. We are exciting, huh?

Thanks for the input on naps, all! It is still very up and down but her pattern seems to roughly be a couple of short naps in the morning/early afternoon, and then a super long one in the late afternoon. Yesterday was so frustrating. I tried really, really hard to catch her tired signs. Well, it didn't work because I spent an hour and a half on and off just rocking, bouncing, trying to nurse her (I don't think she was hungry because she kept turning away), to no avail. She finally fell asleep with me holding her in our bed, only to wake up 20 minutes later. I just gave up after that. I have realized I really need to try to stress less about it and admit that I can't control her sleep. So I am trying to go with the flow more. Anyway, she crashed and slept for three hours yesterday afternoon. I got to sleep too and felt so much better afterwards. Then, today, I thought the rocking just isn't working that well to soothe her and it's killing my back (she fusses if I try to sit down), so we'll try something else. I swaddled her and turned on the vacuum to shut out stimuli and guess what! She drifted off to sleep in her crib, with me just sitting by her and shushing, within 10 minutes! And slept 40 minutes and then fell back asleep on her own and slept another 40 minutes! And just now I got her to sleep again the same way! I really needed this shot in the arm.

Mamapigeon--I'm with you on stressing about others caring for her--I really want to step back and let DH do more but it's hard! Knowing that she CAN go to sleep on her own, without nursing, is huge--this means he may be able to get her down for naps, as well, and I can get out of the house for longer periods of time.

Anyone already sent her DC to daycare? We are going to be starting Eliza with someone (an in-home provider) three days a week in mid-September. I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for preparing her. She still won't take a bottle but we haven't been trying that hard so DH is going to practice with her a bit more. That's the main thing that's worrying me. Otherwise, I'm going to bring her by for an hour or two at a time to get her used to the provider before we put her in for a full day.

#23 of 134 Old 08-18-2011, 04:50 PM

Windymama- How awesome that you buried the placenta! I hope to get to do that someday, but for ds the placenta was kept by the hospital. irked.gif

Wehrli- I've wondered about solids too! I planned on waiting until 6+ months, but I don't think Wyatt will let me! He gets really excited and sucks his little fists whenever I eat.

Pattimomma- We still haven't dtd, but we have condoms. I imagine by the time I'm interested, we'll be ttc #2. 

Blanca- I'm so glad you've found a way to get E to take naps! I bet both of you are a lot happier!

I agree with everyone that Wyatt needs to spend some time with other people, I definitely need a break too! Not quite sure how to go about it though, other than leaving the apartment. If I'm here, DH tends to pass Wyatt back to me after just a few minutes.

#24 of 134 Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 PM

Has anyone made any new mama friends? I think it might be time for Wyatt to be around other babes (and I'm going crazy for adult company), but I'm not really sure where to look for friends... I'm planning on going to LLL meetings soon, and maybe ICAN, but I don't just want to socialize occasionally. Any ideas?

I'm amazed that time is passing so quickly! Wyatt is almost 4 months! He's getting really good at rolling over and getting his arms out from under him. I'm thinking of getting him an exersaucer, but I'm not sure how good they are for babies. Anyone here use one?

#25 of 134 Old 08-23-2011, 03:51 PM

I'm also desperate for mama friends but have yet to find like minded folk aside from LLL meetings... and they are infrequent and I haven't clicked with anyone there yet. redface.gif

I'm undecided about exersaucers and the like...

#26 of 134 Old 08-24-2011, 01:43 PM

pattimomma - we'll be charting soon.  I've to reread TCYOF.  With my other two AF didn't return til 8 or 9 months and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's like that again.

mamapigeon - haven't had time to make any new mama friends :-(.  I've a few from the other kids but no one with a new baby and hardly any with 3 kids like me.  I've gone to LLL a couple times but I've always had something else come up for a meeting time.

DD2 likes her exersaucer.  It's like the jolly jumper - good in small doses but not long term use (or don't keep your kid in it for hours).  DD2 will stay in it for about 20-25 mins at a time.  I use it a couple times a day.  DD1 hated it though.  

DD2 is in a chewy phase.  Everything is now going into the mouth.  I'm wondering if she'll get teeth eariler than the other two...

#27 of 134 Old 08-24-2011, 01:43 PM

2 kids in my lap = double post.  sorry.

#28 of 134 Old 08-25-2011, 08:34 AM

Blanca- Abbey has been staying with grandma while I work since she was 6 weeks old. I was lucky not to have to use daycare this time. My older daughters adjusted fairly well to daycare but my boys took a long time to not cry every time I dropped them off. If stranger anxiety hasn't set in for your little one yet, it will probably be pretty easy, except for the bottle thing. I had one kid who just went to reverse cycling because he refused to take a bottle.

Wehrli- I have been thinking about the exersaucer too. My older kids loved it but I don't have one now and am iffy about spending the money since they out grow them so fast.

I have a few friends with babes and my sis is due in November but I don't have much time with work, grad school, and kids to hang out :(

#29 of 134 Old 08-26-2011, 09:06 AM

Maybe it's easier to make mama friends when babies are more interested in getting out and making some friends too? I'm looking forward to taking Wyatt to playgrounds soon! Too bad all of us are so far apart! greensad.gif

We got Wyatt a SuperSeat last night and it seems to be just what he needs! It has a base like a bumbo, but comes with an activity tray that can clip on. I haven't tried that yet, but he seems thrilled to sit up in the seat and look around!

#30 of 134 Old 08-26-2011, 03:47 PM

Hi mamas! Found you again!

Mama friends -- I found a great group of friends after I had DD 4 years ago.  I met them all at LLL.  Really, what worked for me was just to start inviting a few mamas and their LOs over to my house.  Tried a couple of timwa and there was no real connection, but I kept trying and ended up finding an amazing group of women.

DS is awesome.  He's a great sleeper.  Wakes up about 3 times a night, but nurses and goes back to sleep.  He's a really happy little guy even though he's teething furiously.  Went in for his 4 month WBV yesterday.  15 lbs 10 oz, and 26.75" long.  He's so much bigger than his sister was!  He's rolling over back to tummy and grabbing at everything.  The other day we went out to eat and he managed to grab DH's water glass and dump it all over DH's lap.  He almost got a handful of my curry too.  I plan to wait until 6 months to start solids like we did with DD, but he's so grabby that he may manage to feed himself before then.  Hopefully not with curry.  I'm amazed at how much easier everything seems this time!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page