Life with baby at 6 months-old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-08-2011, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi fellow moms,

I'm curious to know what your typical day is with your six month-old babies. I'm in Canada so I'm still on mat leave so I'm asking this question to moms who are with their babies all day long. What are your favourite activities, games? How do you fill the day? How do you manage to have some time to yourself during the day for personal stuff or housework? Thanks in advance!

#2 of 5 Old 08-08-2011, 07:05 PM

DS takes a couple of naps a day and that's when I get alone time or time to do projects. If he's awake I can still get a lot done, though. He will sit on a blanket on the floor and just watch whatever I'm doing. We babysit a little girl two days a week so she gives him a lot to learn from. We read books and sing songs. Our library even has a special weekly program for babies called "lap sitters" . We go out a lot. It's really hot but I try to go out every other day at least. Today we went to the grocery store and he sat in the front of the basket and was so entertained he almost fell asleep while we were checking out. I guess I don't do too much for him per se. He's just sort of like my little shadow.

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#3 of 5 Old 08-08-2011, 07:21 PM

I'm assuming your 6-month-old is your only child, based on your question? LOL. I hardly remember DS's 6-month life, plus I was working at that time.. but with DD, most of our day revolves around what her brother needs, which is activity. She gets up around 630 and nurses a lot, plays with some toys (she is really into wooden bead toys right now) while I get breakfast. She looks at books and otherwise watches/"plays" with DS & me and then winds down for her first nap around 830 and naps for an hour. If I only had one child, I assume this could be some personal time - I use it as one-on-one time with my DS.

When she wakes around 930, we pack up and head to the park or library depending on weather.  DD can swing in the baby swings now, and she likes to just be worn (on my back or carried in my arms) so that she can watch her brother and the other kids play, and she also loves going for walks, sometimes worn and sometimes in stroller, which we usually do before we leave. She just loves being outside, looking around, having people interact with her. We head for home around 1230 and she usually naps on the way & stays asleep for about 45 minutes. After DS & I get lunch, I wind them both down with a book, and then DD cluster nurses to sleep and they both nap between 2 and 4 pm. Twice a week I try to nap WITH them, to remind myself I need rest too, but the other days I use those 2 hours for budgeting, housework, mealplanning, and what-have-you. Shortly after their nap my DH gets home so things get a lot easier and a lot more free-roam type. DD plays really intensively between 4 and 7 pm, she loves tickle games, peek-a-boo, singing, holding books, maneuvering wooden toys, rolling, she's trying to crawl... She sits with us and plays with some solids while we eat dinner, and then spends some one-on-one time just jabbering with my DH (seriously, like she's having a conversation!) for about a half hour before I wind her down with a bath, book, and nursing. She goes to bed at 8 and STTN. 

If I need additional time for all my "stuff", I usually take it between 8-9 pm, 9-10 is mine & DH's time together, 10 pm is strict family bed time since we are (other than DD) 530 risers!

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#4 of 5 Old 08-09-2011, 04:35 PM

My baby is 5.5mos but I have 2 older kids. When he wakes up he spends some time on a blanket on the floor and I hang out with him before the other kids get up. He then usually spends some time in his doorway jumper (which he LOVES) while we eat breakfast. Then he goes for his first nap. After that, it's anything goes. Like a pp said, basically he's my shadow. He takes 4 or 5 naps each day, each one is 30-60 minutes long so I usually do dishes or clean whatever while he's sleeping. Usually at least one of his naps is in the stroller when I have the big kids at the park or something. I don't really do any games or songs with him but he gets lots of interaction from me & the other kids (he ADORES his big brother and laughs for him like noone else!).

With 3 kids, I kinda have to LOL at the mention of time for personal stuff :) But I guess that's what I'm doing now, online, while he nurses and the other two play Wii with Dad. The supper dishes are not yet done, something's gotta give!

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#5 of 5 Old 08-10-2011, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I love your answers. It gives me some perspective with you moms of more than one child. I guess I'm just kinda insecure sometimes about whether I do enough games and activities with him but I know that I really do way more than the average mom. It's hard not to get caught in trying to be the perfect mom. ;) I guess it's just that there's only so much you can do with a 6 month-old and when I've repeated the same things 3 times in a day I'm just done! I feel sometimes guilty for having my own agenda or being too focused on getting things done (I'm definitely a productive person) and not being in the moment enough with my babe. Although he's a very happy baby, he also seems to fuss quite a bit when I leave him to play on his own. I often have to go see him or interact with him. Maybe this is normal? In terms of doing personal stuff, I was more referring to actually working on my photography contracts and portfolio. I'm also starting two evening photography classes in 2 weeks so I'm going to have some homework. Maybe I'll send him to half-day daycare just so that I can do un-interuppted work for 4 hours. Maybe that would help in the frustration of never being able to get anything done! I'm freelance and will have to find work for December so getting some stuff done is kind of important. Thanks for your suggestions. DS also loves going out and charming people. It's great! Gotta enjoy summertime and how easy it is to go out since winter in Canada can be harsh! At least we have the community centre. :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page