How much breast milk and solids should my 9 month old be eating while I'm at work? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-22-2011, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm going back to my teaching job and I'm pumping for my baby during the day. He's now 9 months old and I've been with him all summer. I'm just wondering what an ideal eating schedule for him should be like. How much breastmilk, and solids during the day? Any other mothers who have a 9 month and work during they day? What is your feeding schedule like?

#2 of 5 Old 08-26-2011, 12:05 PM

I have an 8.5 month old. Currently, she's drinking 3-4 bottles of breastmilk (for a total of about 12 ounces) during the day while I'm at work.

I nurse her to sleep between 8-9 pm. She nurses 1-2 times overnight, and then around 6am. I estimate that between bottle and nursing, she gets at least 18 ounces breastmilk a day.

For food, she eats 3 meals, on average consisting of:

7-8 am breakfast: 1 svg cereal, 1-2 svg fruit, 1 svg yogurt

12-1 pm lunch: 2 svg vegetables, 1 svg avocado

6-7 pm dinner: 1 svg rice, 1-2 svgs fruits/veggies

I make her food, and each serving is 2 TBSP.

I would love to hear from other working mamas too.

eta times of meals

#3 of 5 Old 10-22-2011, 09:20 AM

Hi,

My son will be starting daycare in around 6 weeks and he'll be almost 10 months then. I don't have an answer for you moms but am hoping this post will get some more answers now. I take 2 evening classes and he usually drinks 4 ounces before bed. I'm wondering how I'll manage to pump so much milk for when he's in daycare and am wondering if I'll need to supplement with formula... It's not ideal but my body has limits!

#4 of 5 Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 AM

I have an 8 month old. I am out of the house for 10 hours total work days, and she drinks 12 ounces of milk in four bottles.

She really has very little interest in solids, DH gives some to her at lunch mostly as "something to do" but she usually only eats a tablespoon.

I also try and feed her some when we have supper. She usually only eats a tablespoon or maybe two if I am really lucky, and she vastly prefers purrees or baby oatmeal (sigh) to anything in whole chunks. Except for shredded cheese. She loves feeding herself shredded cheese, but I try and save that for a treat if I need to keep her distracted because it just doesn't seem right to me for her to just fill up on cheese all the time.

#5 of 5 Old 10-28-2011, 12:25 PM

I have a 9 month old and I went back to work when she was only 3 months. Since she started solids (a couple months ago) she'll eat appx 2-3 3oz bottles depending on how long my workday is (sometimes 8-5, sometimes 8-2). So, anywhere from 6-9 ounces in an 8 hour stretch, with solids/snacks built in. The solids obviously help stave off the hunger, but she's at about 50/50 (half breastmilk, half solids). My husband and her daycare both say that the bottles provide not only the nourishment but also the comfort when we're apart. They also help her get down for her naps (which are few and far between).

Hope this helps! I'm so sick of pumping!

Happy first time mama - Rosa born 2/4/11!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page