Best way to wean off night bottle feedings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What is the best way to wean off night bottle feedings? (For the record, I wasn't able to breast-feed past a few months).

DS is a few days from turning one, he normally get up 1-2 times for night feedings. DH feels he should be sleeping through the night. I don't necessarily agree, however I want to get an idea of what the best route is to wean him. DH wants to just cut-off all night feedings, which I think is cruel, I rather do it slowly.

Many months ago our pediatrician suggested only giving water at night, it worked for a few nights, but that it was awful, so I went back to feeding him formula.

I figure my choices are:

1. Slowly cut back the amount giving when he wakes up. Currently he gets 6oz bottles, I would cut to 4oz several nights, then to 2oz and to none.

2. Gradually cut back the amount of formula in the mix, until it is straight water.

3. Do a straight change to water.

Thoughts and feedback are appreciated!

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 09:32 AM

Here's a recent post from the Fearless Formula Feeder blog that might be helpful:

http://fearlessformulafeeder.blogspot.com/2011/08/night-weaning-for-bottle-feeders-wimp.html

Does your DS take a pacifier?  That would be another approach if he does.

Do you get the impression that he is feeding because he is hungry through the night or because he needs it to help him fall asleep?  If he is hungry, maybe see if you can feed him a bit more during the day so he gets sufficient calories?  Perhaps more frequent or larger feedings before bed would help - kind of like BF babies will cluster feed in the evenings.  If he needs it to sleep I would probably go for a mix of your choices - feed him less gradually and then if he has trouble giving it up at the smallest increment switch him to water.

FWIW my DD is kind of like this (she's 5 months though) and she needs the bottle to help her fall asleep mostly.  So I feed her just until she dozes off, and I'm gradually reducing this amount.  What I've also found is that she sleeps amazingly better on her tummy, she wakes much less frequently this way - not sure if that may be something to consider (not necessarily tummy sleeping but just some change in that area that may help).

Old 08-24-2011, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the link! Exactly what I was looking for. thumb.gif

DS does use a paci (the hospital started him on it) and he also is comforted with a stuffed animal he sleeps with.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

User Tag List