is this strange? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-02-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sometimes my 5w old appears to be wide awake and alert one moment and then he just sort of falls asleep. the weird part is that his eyes are open and i think he's looking at me until his eyes roll back in his head. his eyelids flutter and he'll appear to look at me again several times but he's otherwise limp and asleep. i'm not talking about the eye fluttering dream state that happens in the middle of a sleep cycle. he literally is awake one moment and limp the next. just now he even smiled and one of his legs shook very fast the way a dog's does when you scratch it in just the right spot.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#2 of 12 Old 09-02-2011, 08:13 PM

my little girl did things like that, she would be babbling and all sorts of things and then whamm her eyes would roll back in her head and she would be out, sometimes without closing her eyelids even, she thankfully does not do it much any more unless she is way way over tired.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#3 of 12 Old 09-03-2011, 04:43 AM

I would want to rule out seizures.  Can you video what it looks like when it happens and show your pediatrician?

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#4 of 12 Old 09-03-2011, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyoats View Post

I would want to rule out seizures.  Can you video what it looks like when it happens and show your pediatrician?

you read my mind. i didn't know why it concerned me when i first posted this but seizure is what i thought of when i woke up. i don't have a video camera.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#5 of 12 Old 09-03-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

my little girl did things like that, she would be babbling and all sorts of things and then whamm her eyes would roll back in her head and she would be out, sometimes without closing her eyelids even, she thankfully does not do it much any more unless she is way way over tired.

did you ever talk to a doc about it? how old was she when it stopped?

#6 of 12 Old 09-03-2011, 12:40 PM

Do you know anyone with a video camera or do you have a cell phone with one?  Or anyone with a cell phone with one?  They are becoming standard on a lot of cell phones.

Anyway, I would want to check that out.

Mama of three.

#7 of 12 Old 09-03-2011, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23 View Post

Do you know anyone with a video camera or do you have a cell phone with one?  Or anyone with a cell phone with one?  They are becoming standard on a lot of cell phones.

Anyway, I would want to check that out.

i read up on infant siezures and i don't think that's it. he doesn't have the same symptoms.

#8 of 12 Old 09-03-2011, 04:51 PM

DS did it too, still does sometimes at almost 2

#9 of 12 Old 09-04-2011, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy212 View Post

DS did it too, still does sometimes at almost 2

and it's ok? you think it's just his way of falling asleep sometimes? did you talk to a doctor about it?

#10 of 12 Old 09-05-2011, 04:51 PM

My YDD has been doing something similar.  She's nursing, eyes open and alert, and then suddenly they start rolling around & sometimes she grins too.  Then usually her eyes close and she's asleep.  It'd be totally hilarious if I didn't think there was a chance it could be seizure activity.  But I'm pretty sure it's not, for a few reasons:  First, there's no repetitive or rhythmic movement.  Second, I can snap her out of it.  Third, I am pretty sure my ODD did something similar when she was a babe, because I remember thinking that my breastmilk made her high.  lol.gif 

The thing that seems different about your baby is the jerking leg movement, which could be meaningful or not.  It's hard to say.  There's no harm in mentioning it to your doctor, yk?

#11 of 12 Old 09-05-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post

The thing that seems different about your baby is the jerking leg movement, which could be meaningful or not.  It's hard to say.  There's no harm in mentioning it to your doctor, yk?

hm...i hadn't thought of the leg shaking as possible jerky seizure movements. it's not like the large, jerky leg movements that i read about. it's just one leg that shakes very quickly but slightly, if that makes sense. i will probably mention to the doctor at his 2 month check up. i'm not very trusting of doctors and i disagree that telling the couldn't do any harm. i don't want to get into a situation where the doc starts recommending all kinds of tests that could be harmful. yes, i am a bit paranoid about that but i've had some bad experiences with doctors for not agreeing with what they recommend. i don't want that to interfere with my child's health, though, if there is something wrong.

#12 of 12 Old 09-09-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

i saw my MW yesterday for my 6w PP check up so i told her about it. she said nothing i described concerned her at all. sounded like normal baby stuff. not worried anymore. thanks everyone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page