4 month old fighting naps :( - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-18-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Since my son was 4-5 weeks old it has been really hard to get him to turn off, to relax, to sleep.  Thankfully, thankfully, thankfully night time sleep is fairly good and has gradually improved (knock on wood).  He doesn't sleep through the night but feeds and goes back down and once in awhile does a nice long stretch.

BUT.  DAYS.  Oh my, it is exhausting!  I feel like I have read everything and tried everything and no luck.  I am so beyond the "give him a pacifier" or "try the swing".  All the normal things do not work.  I have watched his sleep cues religiously and put him down as soon as I see a yawn only to have a child who screams and cries and fights the nap for an hour.  (He yawns, by the way, in the middle of kicking and giggling and having a grand old time).  I have spent 45 minutes shusshing and patting from the side of the bassinet only to get 5 minutes of extra sleep from him.  I have rocked him to sleep but that is not working well these days and is taking longer and longer and, to be honest, I want him to learn how to put himself back to sleep.  I have said screw it and had a child who cat naps and is happy and I have also had a child who is miserable, overtired and frustrated.  For about 2 months he took a huge nap in the afternoon of 3-4 hours and that seemed to make up for everything else.  AND he was so happy and playful after that nap.  But that seems to have gone by the wayside so I have a baby who is in a pretty good mood for about an hour and then it's downhill until the next cat nap.  The latest development is that he only sleeps one 45 minute sleep cycle and can't get beyond that.  I have been trying "wake to sleep" but it's not working.

The crazy thing is that at bedtime I can put him down awake, kiss him, whisper "night, night, sleep time" walk out the door and he goes to sleep himself! 

I am really finding exhausting and depressing.  I feel like I spend my day trying to continually put down a baby who doesn't want (or know how) to sleep.  I am back at work so only have a limited time with him.  The first day I feel like I can handle anything but by the second day I just feel exhausted and depressed about it and it's really affecting how much I enjoy spending time with him.

Anyway, I would just love to hear from any other mamas whose child really fought naps and what they did that helped.

Thank you! :)

#2 of 2 Old 09-20-2011, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 11 month old rarely naps, never has!!  It is so annoying.  I can't beleive how little she sleeps during the day.  Ok, she will fall asleep in my arms and if I try to put her down she wakes up and that is that.  Sure, I could sit there for a few hours holding her but I've got another child to take care of too!  The rare times she naps well are when I put her in her highchair and putter around and she gets all sleepy and then she'll nap for a good hour or two. 

caffix.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page