Millions of jackets! *rant* - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 09-20-2011, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Does anyone else have family that feels compelled to give their LO only jackets?!?!   I was just going through DS's clothes and switching the sizes and realized he now has 7 jackets in his new size, but no pants! dizzy.gif ARGH! Also, people seem to give us things that are for the wrong season... Not sure how normal this is, but it's kind of making me crazy. I wish I wouldn't get gifts for DS since it usually ends up being more work for me. Sorry, just needed to get that out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cancer-beating, single mama to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DS (5-11) and
DD (8-13). Tomorrow is a new day.

(4-09)
(5-12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 09-20-2011, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome to parenthood! 

With us, this started well before our first was born... and has only increased with #2...

So, here's the thing.  Jackets and shoes and too-small articles of clothing and absurdly complicated little dry-clean-only (!) dress-up outfits are just so flippin' cute.  None of 'em can help themselves.  They just can't.  No matter that your child will never be able to wear the outfit, and you'll never be able to launder it even if you do manage to squeeze your kid into it.  No matter that there is literally nowhere in a 100-mile radius for your baby to wear his new white tuxedo from Auntie Edna.  Their credit cards are simply leaping out of their purses before they can stop 'em.  It's just the insidiousness of baby marketing.  The Auntie Ednas of the world -- and their credit-card bills -- are helpless before the onslaught. 

The good news is, there are some lovely children's consignment stores that love to swap your brand-new jackets for plenty of gently-worn, comfy, practical pants.  And socks.  And jammies.  In his actual size.  For the proper season. Pile them in a box and refuse to feel guilty.  Auntie Edna has already had her reward, she had it when she was buying the impractical darn thing in the first place.  She will not notice if you send it away unworn and unlamented. 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#3 of 12 Old 09-21-2011, 08:38 AM

Ha ha, with us it was hats and also cute, non-spit-up-proof summer dresses. I had to go out and buy her a jacket (BUT scored a super cute fleece Hanna Andersson one for $6 at a consignment store!).

I actually kind of like that we have run out of things we need for colder weather, because it's an excuse to hit the consignment (aka "used baby") stores for cheap but adorable sweaters, etc. I'm totally reverting to my childhood doll-dressing passions. There is a store a mile walk from us and taking her there is a great, justifiable, and wallet-friendly form of retail therapy.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#4 of 12 Old 09-21-2011, 03:06 PM

YES! We have this problem too. DS has a million jackets that fit him only during the summer... when it was 103 outside. Family seems to buy DS jackets, shoes, and cutesy pjs. Then again I don't mind too much because nice jackets and brand name shoes are way more expensive than pants/clothes so we're lucking out not having to buy them. DS2 is going to be born in a completely different season that DS1 so I'm hoping DS1's jackets will get some good use:)

#5 of 12 Old 09-21-2011, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
That would be obnoxious. My mini rant... brand new clothes that don't smell like smoke would be nice. DH's dad packs the boxes with a dirty ash tray... or atleast it smells like it. I can't even return it if it's not their size. BLEH!
#6 of 12 Old 09-21-2011, 04:06 PM

For us it's bibs, millions of bibs.  And I can see that they may be useful when we start solids except they're all so TINY they hardly cover anything...

#7 of 12 Old 09-22-2011, 10:59 AM

Bibs, and receiving blankets! Yes, you can have too many!!

Yep, my solution is consignment stores too.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#8 of 12 Old 09-23-2011, 09:11 PM

We received no fewer than sixteen pairs of overalls for DS. No joke.
#9 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I agree about consigning extra baby clothes! So far I've only purchased used, never sold any of DS's things, but it would be nice to have extra money to put toward clothes he will wear.

Imakcerka- I can't even imagine receiving something that smells smoky. That must be terrible!

Cancer-beating, single mama to
DS (5-11) and
DD (8-13). Tomorrow is a new day.

(4-09)
(5-12)
#10 of 12 Old 10-02-2011, 07:18 PM

Trust me, comfy practical pants can be over rated....especially when you have, litterally 327 pairs of said pants (yes I actually counted, we recieved about seven large trash bags full of pants that were either two sizes too small or several sizes too big. Oh, and they tried to send more...we told them that while we apreciate it, please spread the love  with all the other nieces/nephews and grandkids...lol

familybed1.gifwife and helpmate todp_malesling.GIF  mommy to Caileigh dust.gif  lactivist.gif  saynovax.gif
#11 of 12 Old 10-03-2011, 10:01 AM

This just happened on Saturday and I had to share here...

So I was at a baby shower for a friend.  Her baby is the first grandchild on both sides of the family, so they went overboard with pretty much everything.  But the funniest thing was... the BLANKETS.  Piles and piles of fussy, homemade baby blankets.  Crocheted blankets.  Knitted blankets.  Quilts.  I forgot about this, but it's the eternal baby shower problem.  What do you do with so many gosh-darn baby blankets????  Not to mention all the cute, already-too-small crocheted baby sweaters and fussy hats and mittens, etc., etc.  It was hilarious.  I was sitting at a table with two other young moms, and we kept looking at each other in dismay as the knitted items piled up. 

And the best part of all?  After they unwrapped at least half a dozen adorable, delicate knitted things from one grandma, she said with absolute seriousness, "now, remember, you can't wash any of this stuff!"  headscratch.gif Does she remember having children???  Why on earth would you make something for a baby that cannot be washed?!?!

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#12 of 12 Old 10-03-2011, 11:02 AM

OMG, it's so true! I forgot about the blankets. First there are the heirloom ones from when DH was a baby (a couple of which I really do love), but then there are all the new ones received on top of that. I really do find handmade gifts meaningful. But what on earth can we do with so many irregularly-sized blankets? The best I can think of is keeping one or two in the car for cold weather, and then saving the rest for when she has her big kid bed and she can choose which ones can be special to her.* Luckily, we live in a cold climate!

*the exception is the GORGEOUS quilt my totally amazing sister made--she taught herself to quilt just to make it, designed the pattern herself around an applique panel she bought in Thailand--it's so beautiful. But the acrylic, bright-pastel afghans from relatives my baby may never meet, while well-intentioned, may be destined for storage (can't bring myself to give them away or donate just yet). Maybe I can sew them all together into one bedspread or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post

This just happened on Saturday and I had to share here...

So I was at a baby shower for a friend.  Her baby is the first grandchild on both sides of the family, so they went overboard with pretty much everything.  But the funniest thing was... the BLANKETS.  Piles and piles of fussy, homemade baby blankets.  Crocheted blankets.  Knitted blankets.  Quilts.  I forgot about this, but it's the eternal baby shower problem.  What do you do with so many gosh-darn baby blankets????  Not to mention all the cute, already-too-small crocheted baby sweaters and fussy hats and mittens, etc., etc.  It was hilarious.  I was sitting at a table with two other young moms, and we kept looking at each other in dismay as the knitted items piled up. 

And the best part of all?  After they unwrapped at least half a dozen adorable, delicate knitted things from one grandma, she said with absolute seriousness, "now, remember, you can't wash any of this stuff!"  headscratch.gif Does she remember having children???  Why on earth would you make something for a baby that cannot be washed?!?!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page