making our house safer - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 09-26-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would love some advice on how to keep things safer for my DS. He is recently 9 mos and is close to walking, but on top of that, he is into EVERYTHING. He needs to be climbing all day long. As of now, when we're home and he's playing, we have just been following his every move, but that is growing exhausting really fast.

Our house is mainly hardwood with two staircases (one carpeted). I've been considering baby gates, but my fear is that he will a) try to climb them, and/or b) pull himself up and then lose his balance, fall back and whack his head on the hardwood floor. What are your thoughts on baby gates? We have a cat so this would basically mean that my cat would be unable to go around the house as he pleases. 

After DS slipped and whacked his head on the side of the tub last night, after I had let go of him for a split second to get his shampoo (I am still not over this incident AT ALL, but DS is fine), I just bought a tub mat and a spout cover for the tub. Hopefully the tub area is now covered.

The other issue is with co-sleeping. DS spends the first stretch of his night in his crib, and then when he wakes up, I bring him over into the bed with DH and me. I usually put him between us, but sometimes I will switch sides (when I get numb) and as long as I am facing DS he will not roll (he stays up against my boob). The problem is that I'm back to work now and have to get up in the morning and sometimes DS wants to sleep more. He can stay asleep if I get out of bed but I feel like i can't go anywhere because a) he'll wake up and crawl off the bed (he tries to do this now and I catch him), or b) will roll off in his sleep (this happened once before). I've considered bed rails but DS pulls himself up on our headboard in order to stand and jump in place, so unless they are that height, I'm afraid he will pull himself up on them and flip over the top.

Any thoughts on what I could do/buy to avoid my DS from getting hurt so often? I'm a nervous wreck every time it happens, yet I want him to be able to explore his environment and build his motor skills without me having to pull him away/off of everything all the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page