Quick: name your top 5 solids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 09-30-2011, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are the staple can't live without solids for Lo in your house?

Six months is a few weeks away and I'd love to see your thoughts.

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#2 of 29 Old 09-30-2011, 06:45 AM

NAK
DS2 is almost eight months but we've only been feeding solids regularly for a few weeks because he wasn't showing all the signs of readiness, particularly sitting well alone and interest in food. He likes beef (cook organic ground beef in slowcooker with water, puree), sweet potato, avocado and peach. I'm combining spoonfeeding of iron-rich foods and letting him explore on his own with chunks of ripe fruit, veggies or pieces of bread.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#3 of 29 Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 AM

DD wasn't into solids much before 8 months. She didn't really like much of it and choked on everything (not gagged- actually choked- scariest moments of my life!) so we held off. She's 11 mo now and loves food. Now our staples are scrambled eggs, cheese cubes, broccoli, squash, sweet potato, brown rice/cheese balls, chicken and peas.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#4 of 29 Old 09-30-2011, 10:41 AM

Eggs, broccoli, canteloupe, sweet potatoes and chicken. 

DD also loves those puree/smoothie type things made by Ella's organic kitchen... really great in-a-pinch while you're out food. Her favorite is the carrot/parsnip one.

DD does not like.... slippery. She gets very frustrated when trying to eat peaches, pears, sometimes banana (she prefers to gnaw on the whole banana) or anything where the texture is all sorts of wrong for her pincher grasp. She prefers meats, non-slippery cooked veggies and more solid-type fruits like apples.

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#5 of 29 Old 09-30-2011, 11:52 AM

DD got really into solids around 9 months. Her very favorites have been beans (boiled and eaten one by one, or as hummus), cantaloupe, peaches, lightly steamed peas, and broccoli. Have fun!

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#6 of 29 Old 09-30-2011, 12:27 PM

Bananas, sweet potatoes, any kind of beans, shredded cheese, blueberries

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#7 of 29 Old 09-30-2011, 12:37 PM

This post has been removed due to privacy reasons.

#8 of 29 Old 09-30-2011, 03:10 PM

DS is currently 11 months.  Knock on wood, he's been pretty happy with most of the foods we've given him (except blueberries and kiwi, for some odd reason), but I'd say the top five have been:

• Bananas
  • Cheese - all kinds, shredded, cubed, slices, whatever.  The boy loves his cheese.
  • Steamed carrots.  I hate hate hate carrots, but they make him happy and he can mush them pretty easily.
  • Peaches
  • Broccoli cheddar nuggets
#9 of 29 Old 10-01-2011, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

These are great! Love to hear the stories too. Thanks!

#10 of 29 Old 10-01-2011, 11:10 AM

Scrambled egg (which she is currently eating)

avocado

banana

black beans

canteloup

peaches

special treat: pizza crust

bonus item: cheerios

she is 9 months and has been eating solids since just before 6 months.  she hasn't rejected anything yet.

#11 of 29 Old 10-01-2011, 02:21 PM

I like giving him fresh foods, so I cook them well, mash some up and cube the rest for his finger food practice, because he's at that stage.

Sweet potatoes (I cube these after they're refridgerated)

Bananas (too slippery for cubes!)

Baby carrots (I make these really soft so he can bite pieces off and hold them in his fist)

Potatoes (I use steak fries a lot for him they are perfect for him to grip and suck the guts out of)

Baked beans

Also, Cheerios (though I use Cascadia Farms fruity o's cause they're even cheaper than Cheerio's in my local supermarket)

#12 of 29 Old 10-01-2011, 03:45 PM

Jack loves sweet potatoes, apples, meat-stuff (started that around 6.5 months), sweet corn, sweet peas...mostly everything except for mac n cheese (too thick for him).
#13 of 29 Old 10-05-2011, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Woohoo!  Keep em coming!

#14 of 29 Old 10-05-2011, 08:53 AM

Beans, beans, beans-- refried, spicy black, baked, chili... any way they're made, he'll eat 'em

Cantaloupe

Cheese

Applesauce

Beef

Squash and sweet potatoes have been a hit as well. And Cheerios (and other cracker-type things).

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#15 of 29 Old 10-05-2011, 12:55 PM

DS2 is 9.5 months old and been eating since about 6 months, though just really into it in the last month or two. His fav five:

- banana

- sweet potato

- applesauce

- carrots

- rice cakes (hey, keeps him occupied!)

#16 of 29 Old 10-05-2011, 05:56 PM

Our baby is just over 6 months now and she's been "eating" solids for about a month now.  She hasn't rejected anything yet and she's tried a wide variety of foods.  We're doing baby led weaning (finger foods), but we've also done some purees or mushy food as my MIL bought us a baby bullet when I was pregnant that we needed to use.  I just put those foods on a spoon (definitely on the thicker side and with little chunks) and let her take the spoon from me and feed herself.  She seems to find the spoon much easier to hold onto than many other types of foods that you put into chunks or slices.

Her top five:

- Apples.  Pureed, in slices or she gnaws on a whole apple.

- Broccoli.  Likes it cause it's easy to hold.

- Avocado.  One of the first mushy foods she got into and just devoured it.

- Mango.  We've been teething again and she seems to really like it chilled, cut into cubes but still attached to the peel.

- Peaches.  This was her first food and she loves to gnaw on it whole or pureed.

Oh, and I think cheerios are going to be up there.  She's only had them twice.  The first time she managed to get 1 out of the 10+ I gave her into her mouth.  Today, about 50% of them made it into her mouth.  She seems to really like the challenge as she doesn't have a pincer grasp yet.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#17 of 29 Old 10-08-2011, 07:55 PM

When my DS started solids, I'd say: avocado, banana, sweet potato, black beans, yogurt.
#18 of 29 Old 10-10-2011, 08:05 AM

Yogurt, sweet potatoes, blueberries, bananas, steamed broccoli...and steamed carrots, cottage cheese, avocado, diced raw apple, heavily buttered whole wheat pasta, brown rice, bites of whatever we're eating, etc. The list seems endless--she'll eat anything at this point (11 months). She's a bottomless pit and her latest nickname is "Tank". lol.gif

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#19 of 29 Old 10-10-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Seeing the good wholesome plain foods on these lists and thinking about my first Lo eating foods... it is definitely making me think about my own consumption. I wonder if any of you have noticed a change in your own eating habits through family nutrition?

There is something (haha) very basic about seeing it on its way in AND out, if ykwim!

It makes me want to get back to extreme simple eating along with the babe. Brown rice, black beans, sweet potatoes and good local fruit?

Sounds great.

#20 of 29 Old 10-11-2011, 06:08 AM

avocado, sweet potato, banana, egg yolk, peas :) Those were my LO's favorite when he was first starting solids.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#21 of 29 Old 10-11-2011, 06:24 AM

Also, I never made my son's baby food(purees) I just mashed up whatever I was eating. I was also not too particular about avoiding foods until a certain age except dairy, because he had a problem with it while breastfeeding. I have a fancy baby food maker this time around and I'm now a SAHM, so I actually will have some time for it, and plan on making her baby food purees. I have a feeling she'll be ready for food before DS was and plan on feeding her at 6 months whether she has teeth or not because I have a feeling she'll be ready. She's already showing signs of readiness at only 5 months.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#22 of 29 Old 10-12-2011, 09:55 AM

I definitely noticed a change in my eating habits when I first started my firstborn on solids. We started eating wayyyy less processed stuff.

My ds is 7.5 months & started solids at 6 months. He's liked everything I've given him which so far is:

Sweet potatoes

Squash

Peas

Avocado

Banana

Applesauce

Oatmeal

Brown rice

Turnip

Peaches

Grapes (peeled and broken up small and fed from my finger)

Mango

Steak

Pork

Chicken

Turkey

Tofu

Chickpeas

Egg yolk (just because I give my older kids hard boiled eggs in their school lunches but they don`t like the yolk so they get the whites and Kennedy gets their yolks)

Everything is homemade and just fork mashed. The meat is either pureed in some cooking water or shredded small and fed from my finger or mixed with a mashed veggie or fruit. Usually I make extra of what we are eating and mash it up and freeze it in ice cube trays for when we`re eating something more complex. He doesn`t like to do finger foods yet, he likes to be spoon fed. While I feed him I give him his own spoon with a little food on it and he will feed himself with that. And also put it in his hair and eyebrows and stuff LOL

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#23 of 29 Old 10-13-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyTheTerrible View Post

I like giving him fresh foods, so I cook them well, mash some up and cube the rest for his finger food practice, because he's at that stage.

Sweet potatoes (I cube these after they're refridgerated)

Bananas (too slippery for cubes!)

Baby carrots (I make these really soft so he can bite pieces off and hold them in his fist)

Potatoes (I use steak fries a lot for him they are perfect for him to grip and suck the guts out of)

Baked beans

Also, Cheerios (though I use Cascadia Farms fruity o's cause they're even cheaper than Cheerio's in my local supermarket)

Hey Izzy - your little one sounds like mine! To use bananas for finger food, try rolling them in crushed up cheerios! Big hit at our house! :-)
#24 of 29 Old 10-15-2011, 03:27 PM

I'm listing 6, because two of them had to be served together. orngtongue.gif

Sweet potatoes

Mangoes

Pears

Spinach (which I usually paired with pears)

Bananas

Avocados 

These are still DD's favorites!

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#25 of 29 Old 10-17-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

raider - LOVE the idea of bananas in Cheerios dust.

The Divine - 

Hmm!  Sneaking spinach in with the pears!  Brilliant!

#26 of 29 Old 10-17-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaconda View Post

raider - LOVE the idea of bananas in Cheerios dust.

The Divine - 

Hmm!  Sneaking spinach in with the pears!  Brilliant!

We started with purees, but spinach doesn't puree smoothly. I added a baked pear to sauted spinach and tossed it in the blender. Voila. People were amazed that my baby LOVED it. If you're using a BLW approach, an omelet is a great way to hide it. 

Another great fruit veggie combo was carrot-apple-mango. 

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#27 of 29 Old 10-17-2011, 08:06 PM

here are our current faves at 8.5 months doing baby led weaning:

broccoli (steamed, whole)

peach slices with skin (gives them more traction)

apricot slices w skin

nectarine slices w skin

plum slices w skin

handfulls of hummus (yummy with cucumber slices)

greek plain yogurt

avocado

roasted beets

beans

thick lentil soup

scrambled eggs--- great idea on the spinach

#28 of 29 Old 10-19-2011, 12:40 PM

for foods that require "traction" we roll them in oat bran, wheat germ, or ground flax seed; seems to do the trick.

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
#29 of 29 Old 10-20-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galincognito View Post

for foods that require "traction" we roll them in oat bran, wheat germ, or ground flax seed; seems to do the trick.

Love this. Thanks!

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page